“Like Central Park in New York, only better!”
Review of Glasgow Green

Ranked #24 of 279 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of the oldest and most historic parks in Scotland stretches from the Saltmarket at the High Court across to the Calton and Bridgeton districts, and was used mainly for sheep and cattle grazing until the nineteenth century.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Like Central Park in New York, only better!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Glasgow Green has something for everyone, and it is always busy. There are two play parks for children. One is located off of Greendyke St and is aimed at smaller children and has a wooden pirate ship, swings, a teeter-totter, and other new play features that were added in the last six months. The other play park is at the other end of the Green, near to Bridgeton, which is aimed at older children which has a ropes course and very tall chutes. My son prefers the smaller park, but that's because he's only wee. There is plenty of space for people to take walks, jogs, explore the People's Palace, read a bit of history, check out the rowing club, play sports, play conkers, barbeque, take photos and generally enjoy the park. If it's busy then there's more likely going to be rubbish on the ground nearer to the play parks, but this is dutifully cleaned by Glasgow City Council staff every morning. I really love Glasgow Green and think everyone should make a point to check out one of the oldest parks in Glasgow City Centre.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank hallaway

• Greek first
Nashville, Tennessee
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Great Spot On A Sunny Day”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Glasgow Green is a great place to spend a sunny afternoon, limited as they may be in Scotland. Parking is a little hard to find. It's there, it just takes a map and some skilled navigating.

This beautiful park is home to the People's Palace/Winter Gardens. You'll also find the Doulton Fountain, which is the largest terra cotta fountain remaining in the world. There are dozens of people out frolicking with their dogs. It also seemed like the Green has lots of stuff for kids, including a pirate-shaped playground set and another playground with the tallest spirally slides I've ever seen. When we were there, they also had a plethora of bouncy castles and inflatable slides set up. I really wanted to partake, but sadly there were age restrictions.

Read my other reviews, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Visited April 2014
Kilsyth, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Bootcamp”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have been training in Glasgow Green for a bit more than 18 months. Apart from getting fitter, losing weight and toning I have made great friends, It is a great way to get in shape, enjoy the outdoors and make new friends.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank GK1955
Christchurch, New Zealand
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“World Championships Pipe Bands”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Spent the whole day here with the Pipe bands. My teenage son was competing with his school pipe band from New Zealand. This is the first time I had been to Glasgow and I had heard about Glasgow Green. But because it was covered with Pipe Bands from all around the globe it was difficult to see much of the ' Green' . These are held in August each year. So if you are into this then find out dates. What I could see of the place however was lovely and the weather was glorious the year we went.
From here it is an easy walk into the City Centre too. Which is exactly what I did just to give my ears a break from all the noise.

Visited August 2013
Carlisle, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“the wrong time of day?”
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

we had a stop here on our way back home after hearing that its a lovely place.we didnt find that.a small play area that was filthy.our kids had abuse thrown at them for being english.we could of had a walk but this was after tea-time and prostitutes were walking around.we also saw a man unable to walk,being sick.police pulled up,looked at him and drove off.as we got in our minibus more abuse was shouted.to be fair parents did pull their kids up for this but young kids shouting things like that is shocking.this is my only negative review on scotland.maybe daytime is better here? ive no intentions of finding out.i'd rather be in ayr,always welcomed there!

2 Thank kj721