“Highly Reccommended”

Ranked #78 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Larnaka City, Cyprus
“Highly Reccommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Having lived abroad for 6 years now I travel back to Scotland once or twice a year to visit friends, this often includes a few days in a hotel. Very used to the inn, lodge and other chain establishments I decided to look for somewhere different to stay on my last trip and am pleased to say I found this little gem.

Steeped in character and surrounded by the history of Glasgow this unique hotel is treat for those fortunate enough to find it.

The location is amazing, the history of Glasgow surrounds you, the hotel is quaint and interesting. No lift and a very old staircase but easy to climb and everything about it has a story to tell.

Okay, my room was lovely, ensuite (think they all are) and spotless, with the most amazing views. In the morning my breakfast was everything a traditional one should be and included haggis !!!! In the lounge bar I found a great mix of friendly locals more than happy to share there knowledge of the area and tourists enjoying food in a 3 level dining area. I enjoyed two evening meals which included beef burger made with red wine and steak pie to die for.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, In fact nothing was a problem for them. This means a lot when you are a single woman staying on your own. Which included pointing me to the bus stop for the 3 min trip to the city centre and giving me my bus fare because I didnt have any change !!!!.

Will I returm, do you no I am going to make a point of it, So much around this area I didnt get to see. And the shopping is fab.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank gayniewaynie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in the hotel. Our room had a wonderful view of the Cathedral and the Necropolis, and was spacious and nicely decorated. The neighborhood is quiet - no restaurants or bars around except the ones in the hotel itself - so not much traffic at night. The location is perfect for touring the Cathedral, Necropolis, St. Mungo's Museum, and Provand's Lordship; also there's a "Hop On/Hop Off" bus tour stop right in front of the hotel so it's easy to use that to reach other tourist destinations. Can't wait to stay there again. One caution - there is NO elevator/lift and lots of stairs so make sure you can negotiate that - the lowest hotel room is 3 flights up from the bar. Check-in is at the bar; there is an additional keyed entrance at a different "ground level" (it's on a hill) so you can save a few steps after you're checked in. We enjoyed the bar cafe too - nice food and good service.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WI_roam
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I loved this place.
Dating from the 1890's, this grand old building is fantastical both inside and out. It's hard to describe the quirky floor plan - a confused array of double doors, hallways and false starts branching off a central spiral staircase. Guest rooms are simply furnished yet spacious and clean, many with wonderful views of the Glasgow Cathedral and Necropolis. (I had a particularly nice view through the arrow-slit shaped window in the shower.)
My brother and I had reserved room #7 (one of the largest), but discovered when we arrived that it contained only one queen bed. We called down to the desk and the attendant quickly arrived with an additional key to room #6, which they let us have at no charge. In in fact, we found all the staff to be friendly and helpful throughout our stay.
On the ground floor of the building is a charming bar and restaurant catering both to guests and local clientele. It's not a rowdy scene inside, nevertheless the bar closes by 10:00 so guests can sleep undisturbed. In the morning, the free hotel breakfast was fresh and ample, served in a pleasant sunlit dining room.
The hotel is located in a quiet, leafy neighborhood overlooking the city. To explore more of Glasgow, my brother and I took advantage of an on-off tour bus that stops just across the street.
The Cathedral House is great fun, especially if you appreciate a place with lots of character and possibly a resident ghost or two. However, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone -- especially those who have trouble with stairs. It's true there is no elevator, and the hike up and down the spiral staircase can get a bit tiring. Be sure to ask an attendant to bring up your bags when you arrive or you'll be sorry!
That being said, anyone with good legs and a sense of adventure should have a lot of fun staying in this extraordinary architectural curiosity. For me, the Cathedral House Hotel was a real winner.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

This would be the perfect place for some travelers, such as the friend who recommended it to me. I stayed here for 5 nights recently on his advice. As you enter the hotel, some might be a little taken aback because you actually walk into the pub on the ground floor and the reception desk is almost hidden in the far corner. That said, everyone who works at the hotel including the reception desk was very friendly and helpful and the pub is a nice place to hang out, with free wi-fi, and pretty good pub food. My room was typical for a boutique UK hotel - smallish with an eclectic assortment of furniture and a made-over bathroom in what is a very old and interesting building. The good things: fresh white bedding, windows that open, very clean, good towels and bathroom toiletries, and free Internet, although low connectivity was sometimes a problem. Breakfast, included in the reasonable rate, was great - lots of choice and served in a really pleasant room, with newspapers provided for morning reading.There is also a small parking lot. The main issue on the down-side is the stairs. It's like staying in a lighthouse, with twisting stairs and no lift. I think if i had asked, someone would have carried my suitcase but no one offered. There was a lot of noise from outside traffic, as the hotel sits on a main road. The other issue for a single woman traveler like me is the location. I really liked the great view out of my window of the Glasgow Cathedral and the monument-rich Necropolis (both well worth visits), but the hotel is in the East End of the city and I was advised not to walk alone at night. In the day-time, no problem walking to the centre of town in about 15 or 20 minutes, all downhill. There's a bus-stop right outside the hotel, though, and it was less than 5 pounds to take a cab from just about anywhere in the centre of town. So if you are in a group or young and strong and on a budget, this is a great place for you while visiting Glasgow!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Now, I had seen this lovely building a number of times and always wanted to visit and if I liked it, I planned to put people up here who would be visiting for a wedding.
So, we had a lovely time visiting Glasgow Cathedral and Provands Lordship and headed over to the Cathedral House Hotel for lunch.
BTW, there is an equestrian statue of King William III of Orange in the precincts around here, very unusual to find a statue of King Billy, I don't even think many Glaswegians know its here.
Anyway, as I said, beautiful building from the outside. The inside is a medium sized bar area which seems to attract a few locals who sat around chatting and looking very odd. It's not welcoming in the slightest . One of the staff members ignored us completely and we took a table upstairs where we sat again ignored for maybe 10 minutes while the staff chatted and banged about downstairs. Eventually we were noticed and after another age ordered dinner, a steak for me and steak pie for my loved one. The drinks were Diet Coke and they were draught, not good at the best of times but the syrup had run out, so we just got carbonated brown water really.
The guy who served us was...my words fail! On arriving at the table, he went off on one, talking to himself and gesticulating. i think he thought he was being wacky. He was just wierd and annoying. I didn't get his name but he was Australian. While we waited about half an hour for the meals, he and his accomplice banged all the cutlery collections about and dragged chairs around, the noise was really ridiculous. I almost asked them to stop, but I didn't. Of course, after being ignored, served rubbish diet coke, served by some oddball and then waiting an age in all the cacophany, the dinners eventually arrived.
WELL!!!
He put down the plate in front of my fiancee. Now, please remember this was after waiting half an hour with all of the above happening. It was supposed to be steak pie and it look like someone had taken a number 2 on the plate. Absolutely revolting. The pastry was a frozen disk that hadn't cooked and still he served it to us. I honestly couldn't believe it they would serve this crap and that I had been waiting all this time for this garbage.
I told him to take both meals back and that we had had a terrible experience.
Absolutely atrocious. And it's a terrible shame. It's such a lovely building from the outside but the inside is a dump with absolutely woeful staff who should be fired immediately. They need to replace the staff and do up the bar and it could be a little goldmine but really it's an absolute dump.

Room Tip: go somewher else - avoid this place
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cartagia
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Traveling with a friend we stayed here our first two nights in Glasgow. Great location across from the cathedral and necropolis (two of the best sights in Glasgow) and we were lucky to have a great view of the cathedral right out our window. I don't remember the room number but it was top floor, last room down the hall. The bedroom was nice but the ensuite bathroom, although huge, felt unfinished (exposed plywood) and below standards of the rest of the place). Unfortunately the wifi didn't really extend to the top floor so I only had spotty coverage in the room (full coverage in the downstairs bar so I just went down there). Breakfast was fine but not particularly memorable (good views from the breakfast room ). We both enjoyed the charm of the old architecture and winding spiral staircase but this is definitely not for everyone. Sounds does travel through this place so keep this in mind if you are a very light sleeper. Also, location was great for us but a little out of the center. We had to walk a bit to get to food/entertainment that appealed.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Globetrotter2125
Peterborough, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Having not found many B&B's in Glasgow close to downtown I found Cathedral House Hotel's website. There weren't many pictures on the website (which I'm usually a stickler for) but the reviews weren't all bad and it looked quite charming. Who wouldn't want to stay in an historic building with great history? Well, I wish I hadn't. We dropped off our luggage in the morning (which was much appreciated) and were told our rooms would be ready any time after 2pm. No problem! When we got back to the hotel later that afternoon we were told our rooms were ready but that there were no duvet covers on the bed yet (they were expecting them by 3:30pm) so they would make our beds up when the covers arrived. Again, no problem! We sat at the quaint bar downstairs for an hour or so and then couldn't wait any longer...we had to go up to our rooms...we'd been on the go since 6:00am. Well, being an historic buiding there is no elevator which I was completely aware of, especially after reading the reviews on this site. What I was not expecting was to climb up 3 flights of winding concrete. Just be aware that there are 45 steps up to the floor that the rooms are on...winding steps. Thankfully the guy working that day took our bags up for us...sadly that guy works hotel reception, is the bartender, and the waiter for the restaurant. So if he's busy you're out of luck. My Dad's room #3 was quite small and there are no curtains on the wondows, only pale pull down blinds that don't keep the light out. My room (#4 Cathedral room) was huge with heavy curtains but it was obvious it had not been cleaned. There was dirt and lint all over the floor and carpet. As well as liquid stains of some sort on the tv and mirror. I was so upset by the state of these rooms I cried for a good half an hour. Sadly I couldn't call down to complain because none of the phones in the rooms were working. So trying to put all of that aside we went out for the day to get away from the rooms for as long as we could. When we got back later that evening the beds still had not been made up (this is now 7:45pm) I went down the 45 stairs to inquire about the beds but was only told not to give up! Well, I gave up. Sadly at 10:45pm I was woke up by a crowd singing and laughing...I knew it couldn't be the bar downstairs because it's 2 floors away. Well, it turns out they rent the restaurant room out for functions, which is right below room #4. I went downstairs to complain about the noise at which point I was asked if the beds finally got made up. When I said no the guy didn't believe me and said he'd be right up to make them. I laughed increduously as it was 11:00pm and I wasn't waking my father up so someone could make the bed. I asked about the party and was told they had the room rented until midnight..FANTASTIC!!!!!! I laid there unitl 12:15am listening to kareoke carry on below me...at which point it didn't necessarily get quieter as they all filed out of the room and down the stairs (it's all concrete and echoes) laughting and yelling, oblivious to the people actually paying to sleep there. AND THEN I listened to whomever drag tables across hardwood floors trying to clean up and get the room ready for breakfast the next morning.
The hotel is in a fantastic location, as downtown is only a 10-15 walk away and the Cathedral and Necroplois are literally right across the street, but it is also in quite a busy area and as the windows are original the traffic noise was deafening at times. Keep that in mind if you're a light sleeper as I am. And don't think you can drown out the noise with the TV as the hotel only gets 5 channels...don't think you're going to stay in for an evening to relax (there are no comfy chairs to sit in anyway) Sadly, the louder you turn up the TV the more you distrub the other guests. My father was down a short hallway from me and I could hear everytime he coughed and sneezed...and I definately had to tell him to turn down the TV.
Keep in mind this is only the first night we stayed...I booked for 2 nights...I was afraid of what was to come. The only thing that saved our stay there was a young man working the bar/restaurant/reception the second day. I didn't quite catch his name fully but I believe it was Deaclon (on duty the eveving of June 4th). He was kind, and gracious and a lot of fun to sit and chat to while we sat at the bar and had a few drinks. He was the ONLY good thing about staying here. In general, the service was horrible, the rooms were horrible, and the breakfast was less than great. And I haven't even mentioned the mold in the showers...well I guess I have now.
I understand that this is a very old building (built in 1896) and none of my complaints really have anything to do with that. If you're going to charge people $57.50 you better clean the rooms and offer them beds that are made...and maybe put some curtains on the windows.
GIVE DEACLON(?) A RAISE AND LOWER YOUR PRICES!

• Stayed June 2011