“Charming hotel and fabulous restaurant.”

Cathedral House Hotel
Ranked #77 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel Sept. 9 to 13. Rooms are basic but comfortable and include all the necessities. Our room had 2 huge windows that opened and overlooked the park across the street. Yes there are a lot of stairs but this just adds to the unique charm of this hotel, and face it you need the exercise. We ate at the restaurant several times and always thoroughly enjoyed it. The menu had a varied selection for everyone's taste, and the food always arrived piping hot (via a dumb waiter even!!!), and was delicious every time. We made several trips down to the restaurant just to enjoy the coffee, espresso and cappucchino (best coffee that we have ever had!!!). Many thanks to Simon and everyone else at the hotel and restaurant for making this a memorable stay for us.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank FunkyDM

Reviewed 13 September 2011

My partner and I had lunch here on Saturday the 10th of September and it was so good we went back for Sunday lunch the following day. We had lunch in the bar and the food was absolutely wonderful, no complaints whatsoever. The young man behind the bar who took our order and served us on both days could not have been nicer or more helpful. The prices are excellent, very reasonable and superb value for money. It really is well worth a visit!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Porter313
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I stayed there from August 12 - 17th and had a great time. We were fortunate enough to get the Cathedral room and it was perfect. We were overlooking the Cathedral and graveyard etc, magnificent views. All staff was friendly and very helpful. We had breakfast their every morning and they would cook you what ever you wanted, porridge and cream was outstanding. We also had 2 dinners at the bar and was very happy with what was served. As we were from Canada this is exactly what we wanted and if I return to the beautiful city of Glasgow, I would stay there again. Beaudry's

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We popped in here just gone 11am after visiting the cathedral, desperate for a brew and some breakfast. Even though the kitchen wasn't open yet the lovely man behind the bar made us a delicious egg muffin (we're veggie, he did offer bacon too though!) and a wonderful cup of tea. Then he helped us with our bus route and gave us the right change for it. You don't get service like that in many places, nothing was too much trouble. Thank you so much :-)

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Having lived abroad for 6 years now I travel back to Scotland once or twice a year to visit friends, this often includes a few days in a hotel. Very used to the inn, lodge and other chain establishments I decided to look for somewhere different to stay on my last trip and am pleased to say I found this little gem.

Steeped in character and surrounded by the history of Glasgow this unique hotel is treat for those fortunate enough to find it.

The location is amazing, the history of Glasgow surrounds you, the hotel is quaint and interesting. No lift and a very old staircase but easy to climb and everything about it has a story to tell.

Okay, my room was lovely, ensuite (think they all are) and spotless, with the most amazing views. In the morning my breakfast was everything a traditional one should be and included haggis !!!! In the lounge bar I found a great mix of friendly locals more than happy to share there knowledge of the area and tourists enjoying food in a 3 level dining area. I enjoyed two evening meals which included beef burger made with red wine and steak pie to die for.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, In fact nothing was a problem for them. This means a lot when you are a single woman staying on your own. Which included pointing me to the bus stop for the 3 min trip to the city centre and giving me my bus fare because I didnt have any change !!!!.

Will I returm, do you no I am going to make a point of it, So much around this area I didnt get to see. And the shopping is fab.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank gayniewaynie
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in the hotel. Our room had a wonderful view of the Cathedral and the Necropolis, and was spacious and nicely decorated. The neighborhood is quiet - no restaurants or bars around except the ones in the hotel itself - so not much traffic at night. The location is perfect for touring the Cathedral, Necropolis, St. Mungo's Museum, and Provand's Lordship; also there's a "Hop On/Hop Off" bus tour stop right in front of the hotel so it's easy to use that to reach other tourist destinations. Can't wait to stay there again. One caution - there is NO elevator/lift and lots of stairs so make sure you can negotiate that - the lowest hotel room is 3 flights up from the bar. Check-in is at the bar; there is an additional keyed entrance at a different "ground level" (it's on a hill) so you can save a few steps after you're checked in. We enjoyed the bar cafe too - nice food and good service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WI_roam
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I loved this place.
Dating from the 1890's, this grand old building is fantastical both inside and out. It's hard to describe the quirky floor plan - a confused array of double doors, hallways and false starts branching off a central spiral staircase. Guest rooms are simply furnished yet spacious and clean, many with wonderful views of the Glasgow Cathedral and Necropolis. (I had a particularly nice view through the arrow-slit shaped window in the shower.)
My brother and I had reserved room #7 (one of the largest), but discovered when we arrived that it contained only one queen bed. We called down to the desk and the attendant quickly arrived with an additional key to room #6, which they let us have at no charge. In in fact, we found all the staff to be friendly and helpful throughout our stay.
On the ground floor of the building is a charming bar and restaurant catering both to guests and local clientele. It's not a rowdy scene inside, nevertheless the bar closes by 10:00 so guests can sleep undisturbed. In the morning, the free hotel breakfast was fresh and ample, served in a pleasant sunlit dining room.
The hotel is located in a quiet, leafy neighborhood overlooking the city. To explore more of Glasgow, my brother and I took advantage of an on-off tour bus that stops just across the street.
The Cathedral House is great fun, especially if you appreciate a place with lots of character and possibly a resident ghost or two. However, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone -- especially those who have trouble with stairs. It's true there is no elevator, and the hike up and down the spiral staircase can get a bit tiring. Be sure to ask an attendant to bring up your bags when you arrive or you'll be sorry!
That being said, anyone with good legs and a sense of adventure should have a lot of fun staying in this extraordinary architectural curiosity. For me, the Cathedral House Hotel was a real winner.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family