“A definite return to this hotel”

Cathedral House Hotel
Ranked #80 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“A definite return to this hotel”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed here on Saturday for one night, for a special occasion and we were not disappointed. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly member of staff who offered to carry our luggage up the three flights of stairs. We were in room 3 and it was clean and had everything we needed from a comfy bed to tea and coffee making facilities. Also a good view of the Cathedral and Necropolis which we visited in the morning. The breakfast was served at a reasonable time, between 8am and 10am. We ordered the full scottish breakfast which was tasty and very good value for money considering the size and quality. Oh and the check in and out was also a winner being very speedy. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pickwick8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

We had been on a ghost walk here last year and thought the building was so beautiful we would defo be back to stay over. We arrived and put our bags in had a drink and something to eat in the bar downstairs (which was really nice , with lots on the plate) and had a walk around the necropolis directly across from the hotel . When we came back we were told that they had moved our stuff to a bigger room ,room 4 which is called cathedral room . We thought that this was really kind of them as we hadn't asked for an upgrade. We went out for the night and came back for last orders bar staff were really friendly. Went to bed and was woken up at 5 in the morning with a loud bang on the bedside table and the sound of kids giggling

• Stayed May 2012
7 Thank Maureen8965
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012 via mobile

Treat yourself to one of the best authentic Glasgow pubs I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. The food was absolutely delicious and fresh (I had the smoked salmon ciabatta with cream cheese and fresh dill yum!) the surroundings bright and airy even for a pub and the service was over the top fantastic! Our sever pulled tables together for us and smiled all the time making it a great overall experience. If you are on the city tour stop off at stop number 2, take in the beauty of the Cathedral then enjoy lunch across the street. Highly recommended! Will definitely go back!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Adorenna
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Having promised myself that I would return to this lovely little hotel in Glasgow I booked my room in advance to ensure a reservation.

On arrival I was greeted with friendly staff and my case taken up to my room for me. A few faces had changed but the welcome was as I expected , very friendly and sincere. My room (ensuite as they all areI think) was spotless as expected, very confortable and the view was superb.

In the bar area I noticed that they now do posh dining on the top area of the bar, tables beautifully laid out for fine dining. As I was yet again on my own I staid in the bar area on the second floor and ate a fantastic fillet steak sandwich, fish and chips and lastly macaroni cheese with garlic bread....not all on the same night. The cost was the same regardless where you choose to eat.

Breakfasts here are first class, bacon ,egg, sausage, mushroom, tomato and tattie scone toast, butter and jam plus unlimited tea coffee and a choice of juices however I was a little disapointed that haggis had been taken off the menu, maybe they were out of season in Scotland at that time. But porridge with cream was obviously still a firm favourite with other guests

To the managers and staff of this lovely hotel you have made one traveller very happy and cant wait to return, late september but will book in advance.

What a treasure to find.

Room Tip: One with a view of Glasgow Catherdral, beautiful
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank gayniewaynie
Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed two nights at the Cathedral and wished my stay had been longer. This hotel has character and history. The original spiral stone staircase to my Room #5 was lovely. The Glasgow city sightseeing bus stop is right across the street, as well as Necropolis and the Cathedral. My window overlooked Cathedral Square and was a nice, quiet setting. The staff was very helpful, carrying my bags to my room, etc. special thanks to Clancy for the breakfasts, tea and arranging my cab.
I walked easily to George square, but was far enough away from the city centre to avoid the noise at night.
Perfect hotel....highly recommended.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank canadianorcadian
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I had a few days to enjoy Glasgow for a business trip and I wanted to stay at a unique hotel that showcased Glaswegian architecture. If you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced hotel that is away from the hub-bub of downtown, stay here. There are quirky nuances about the hotel. This adventurous traveler didn’t mind that there is no elevator (only 4 floors, I was top floor). I rather enjoyed the exercise. The staff was so helpful and great. I would absolutely stay again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 7. Top floor, very spacious.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Squanto33
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed here one weekday night and was very impressed. It is small, characterful and in a very quiet location directly opposite Glasgow Cathedral and the Necropolis. I had booked a single room but was given an enormous double room, with a great prospect of the Cathedral (and all the cherry blossom in full bloom) through its three big windows, a big flat-screen TV and a chaise lounge for good measure. It had decent bedside lamps so I could even read in bed, bliss. It was clean, comfortable and I had a nice breakfast in the morning. For this I paid £45 including breakfast, by virtue of having booked through laterooms.com (whom I had never used before).

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Cathedral.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business