“Fantastic”

Cathedral House Hotel
Ranked #79 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Myself and friend booked this on amazon local fantastic value for money, hidden jem. The food was great and plenty of it. We read some reviews before coming and were a bit dubious about it but have to say dont know what people are complaining about. Staff were very friendly and helpfull deffo come back and will b recomending to friends and family

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank lorrycossar

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am a regular hotel user and went on recommendations on trip advisor.
My initial impressions were favourable as the building looks fantastic.it took 10 minutes for someone to book us in, there is no lift and the spiral staircase is hard to negotiate with luggage. The room was clean but dated and requires upgrading, the bed was exceptionally clean but like a brick, tiles in the bathroom were falling off. We booked an evening meal as part of a deal but were only allowed a booking between 7-7.30pm. The selection was poor and the standard of food served was very poor, the pate was hot and tasteless and the steak pie was50% fat. I complained but was offered no replacement or apology. The bar had no atmosphere and I watched a member of staff-possibly the owner remove cutlery from the dishwasher,drop it on the floor whereupon he immediately placed it in the cutlery bowl. The bedroom was warm and quiet and the views excellent as was the location to the city centre. The breakfast was also excellent.
I may be a bit harsh but the hotel require more staff and a new chef other diners also made audible comments on the service and poor food.
The management need to look closely at the staff levels and quality of food in its present condition I would not recommend this hotel in its present staffing and management condition I have had a lot better at similar prices.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steve s
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Having just booked a two night stay at the Cathedral House and checking out after one night, I felt I had to share the experience with others. I booked the hotel as its in a great location for Glasgow city centre and the booking website made it look like a boutique hotel. How deceiving images can be! On arrival we were shown to room 1 which is located above the kitchen and unfortunately smells like you are in the kitchen! To be fair the receptionist (a young lad who's name I didn't catch) was really helpful in managing to switch us around albeit having to move rooms for the second night of our stay. The room we then had was awful. The decor is old and worn - ripped wallpaper, marked walls. The floors are wooden and in a poor state so felt like a hostel rather than a hotel room. The windows rattled, the headboard was off one of the beds, the furniture was worn and rickety, I think you get the picture. The bathroom was grotty with a spongy linoleum floor and felt dirty even though it was probably clean. To make matters worse the water only reached a warm rather than hot level. At breakfast the next morning we were greeted by a rather rude man who after seeing we were less than impressed by his attitude did improve. The breakfast itself was ok although his cooked breakfast option was struggling to deal with a vegetarian! We were due to stay for a second night but the thought of a second in this place was unbearable. The hotel was not cheap but I dearly regret not having gone for one of the well known budget chains where at least I would have had a decent standard of accommodation rather than wasting my money here. This may seem harsh but having never written a review before, I felt I had to share the experience to warn others before they make the same mistake I did.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Betsy_Boo123
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Took my mother to the restaurant for mothers day the food was fantastic proper traditional sunday roast, staff could not be more helpful and pleasent would highly recommend the food and will be going back great experience .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank lorraineScoltland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We were booked in here for a family event - but when I read the reviews I was really worried...

But to be fair, for the price, it was good value.

The good bits

Great staff - they sound brusque - but that is there way, they were very helpful and accommodating

Great breakfast - especially if you are not a vegetarian - few misunderstandings at first scrambled egg and salmon - although lovely is not vegetarian

Great location

Young bar person was extremely helpful - a credit to the hotel

Now the others bits

Rooms are very very tired - blinds broken, tiles broken, sink tap loose - but all OK and room was clean

Car park very small - but we managed to secure a space for the weekend

Room 1 was OK as long as you are not planning to stay in the room when the kitchen is open - the extractors vent into the room so strong smell of cooking fat. Room 3 - looked very nice!!

Room Tip: Room 3 - large and comfortable - avoid room 1
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jtga6
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very old building with quaint features but desperately in need of some TLC Given room on top floor which meant climbing four flights of a spiral staircase Room with very old furnishings but clean and comfortable Broken light fitting and toilet seat in bathroom as well as just warm water for bath TV reception very poor as picture continually pausing for a second or two Friendly helpful staff Two course dinner with deal included starter of bruschetta which was OK but the haddock and chips was some of the best I have had Top marks for that only I reported concerns re above to staff member and also emailed to advise management/owner but no reply such a shame as this is such a quaint little place which is next to the necropolis which is very interesting

Room Tip: Room 6 On top floor Quite a hike up a spiral staircase to reach
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackie t
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

This place is a joke I don't know how it could possibly be rated 4/5. The room was shocking, greasy wall paper, hairs in bed, mattress unfit for a dog, mouldy blinds... Not enough staff as the poor waitress, who was this place's only saving grace as she was very friendly, was single handedly running bar and dinner service (bar was packed) Food was absolutely terrible, we ordered the stake with 'famous chimichuri' sauce which was actually cold olive oil with congealed Italian herbs and a slab of meat covered in black pepper which I can only assume was an attempt to mask how rancid it was before hitting the pan. My partner had steak pie with was marginally better if you don't count the re-fried ( more than once) chips and dried out broccoli. Needless to say after "dinner" we removed ourselves from the premises and drove home therefor I'am unable to comment on breakfast thank goodness!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple