“Stay clear of the Manager”

Cathedral House Hotel
Ranked #79 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Good value deal and huge room No. 7 although at the top of the hotel not for the elderly or infirm as no lift. Bar staff and waiting staff pleasant.Downside left my dress and a cardigan behind phoned as soon as we got home, first young man did go and check and said nothing in your room and what did I want him to do about it! Asked to speak to the manager who's attitude was less than impressive he did however phone me back once he had checked and said nothing there and his housekeeper had handed nothing in therefore his idiotic suggestion was that I must have my dress with me -- doh! Why would I be phoning if I had it - not impressed with him at all! On the bright side a lovely young lady called Donna Marie emailed me this morning to say the housekeeper had handed in my belongings - in my opinion she should be made the Manager as she has customers concerns covered!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank DanKathyScotland

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed here with my partner on a one night DBB break on an Amazon Local deal.(£69 for two people). My only regret is that I didn't book the two night deal! The room we had was fantastic (Rm 4) - with a view of Glasgow Cathedral. At night the Cathedral was lit up and I lay in bed looking out at this phenomenal view - I shall never forget it. The food was delicious and the service couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. There was a jam session in the bar in the evening with an amazing singer "Maggie" who, along with a few other very talented artistes, entertained us all evening. We can't wait to go back - and I am sure we will.

Room Tip: Room 4 has 3 large windows looking out on to the Necropolis - breath-taking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heather C
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!!!
One of the poorest experiences we've ever had.
Order wrong, one meal arrived after all other diners had finished. Side order arrived after main course finished and water eventually arrived after second reminder. Food REALLY poor.
I totally agree with Chesney 71 ' Avoid at all costs'
Not worth a visit.
PLENTY of better places in Glasgow to eat for same price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bringmefood22
Reviewed 13 June 2014

No idea whether this hotel was good or not, was slightly concerned having seen the reviews on this site but , having bought an Amazon Local deal and booked at least 2 months in advance, we arrived find they had no record of our booking. We went through from Edinburgh for my husband's birthday and were told there was no record of our booking, and we were the second double booking that day. Ruined our day as we had luggage, which the receptionist kindly stored for us, but we spent an hour of the day trekking backwards and forwards to deposit and collect this. Amazon refunded immediately but still a total disappointment.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HEJS63
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Recently stayed here on an Amazon Local voucher for dinner, bed and breakfast. I must say we thought it excellent value for money (£59.00 for 2 people). We stayed in a beautiful room overlooking the cathedral and necroplis, which was wonderfully lit at night. The bed was large and very comfy and all the linen was white and pristine. The only problem we had with the room was the shower, which was on a pump, and kept getting hot and cold. It would have become annoying had we stayed more than one night.

Dinner was a choice from the menu, and was quite basic unless you paid a supplement for steak or lamb shank. It was presented nicely and everything was hot on arrival. Breakfast was very good with cereal, juice and fruit available, and we were served a full cooked breakfast, but not asked what we wanted. It was hot and nicely cooked.

The staff were all very pleasant and courteous and the hotel is a lovely building in a great situation for the town centre and all its amenities. All in all, it was great value for the money we paid and we would definately stay again if we got the same deal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank truelydeeplymadly
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Bought a voucher for one night stay and two course meal in the restaurant . However , we were told that the kitchen closed early on a Sunday but on our arrival we didn't expect to be offered limited choice of which was not on their advertised Sunday menu .
The food was satisfactory only .
The building is beautiful but the room were satisfactory only . We would never pay the normal nightly stay cost and will never go back even though the location is central .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Booked through Groupon for 'Sunday lunch'.... The whole experience was a disaster from the off. Went with the family as a treat for the Grandparents. On arrival, was surprised to find that there was no menu. Our 'options' (2 of each course), were quickly read to us and not what had been advertised via Groupon. There was no roast beef, despite there being a photograph of this on the voucher and it being listed in the original advert. The staff had to enquire what was available for children. Macaroni cheese or chicken goujons, (2 with 6 chips), to be followed with ice cream. Starters, bruschetta or soup were served promptly. I wish I could say the same for the main courses. Having arrived at 3pm, we didn't get the main courses till 4.20. The staff were apologetic, but not that attentive. The roast potatoes were very warm, but everything else was lukewarm and overall the food very basic. We were not asked if we wanted coffee or desert. The table was eventually, half cleared. I think they needed more glasses at the bar. When the staff finally came back to clear the remainder of the dishes, we asked for the children's aforementioned ice cream. Much to our surprise, we were informed that the chef finished his shift at 5pm & the kitchen was closed!!! To add insult to injury, we had been charged an extra £9 for drinks we didn't order. A complete rip off. If this was an attempt to encourage new custom, they have failed miserably at every turn. If had 'Nil Points' been an option, I would certainly have used it. Avoid this restaurant at all costs. We live in Glasgow, where the choice & quality of restaurants is generally of a high standard. If you are planning a visit, eat somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family