“Mixed review”

Cathedral House Hotel
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 6 September 2007

The location is not exactly central city, so for a tourist seeing Glasgow for the first time, you may feel a bit out of the thick of things. You won't want to walk into the center of town either as it is both a bit far and not exactly a scenic walk. This hotel is small, and feels it. For instance, the pub is the reception is the breakfast room is the manager's office, etc. That's fine, at least you know where to go to get something done. Like breakfast, which is decent, but takes something like forever, which, in the morning is annoying. The rooms are a minimum of two flights up, I think ours was four flights. No elevator, so if you are traveling with heavy bags, keep that in mind. Our room was compact but very comfortable and simple. The bed was near perfect. The shower was not. In fact, I think it was the worst shower I ever had and because it was so bad, I did not shower the second morning, deciding to wait until our next venue. It was that bad. Oh, and fumes from the kitchen did waft up to our room. The staff are great, I really liked them. They even gave us one of their only parking spaces for our rental car. The pub is lively. Of a Friday night, they have a group of musicians performing traditional Scottish music which was thoroughly enjoyable. Given the above, I would think twice before booking here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NewYorkStories

Reviewed 30 May 2007

Loved the idea of the place from reviews here and their own website and we were not disappointed in the slightest. The whole place has so much character, the staff were friendly, the room was lovely, comfortable and clean. We didn't try the restaurant, but if breakfast is anything to go by it should be pretty good. The location is also amazing, right next to the cathedral and the necropolis, but not too far from the city centre. The only drawback for some people might be the stairs, we loved the spiral staircase, but it is three floors up to the first level of rooms and there is no lift, so not suitable for anyone who isn't able to heft their own luggage.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2006

I read about this hotel in Fodor's and it was everything they said.
Next to the large cathedral in Glasgow and located in the merchant district, the building has lots of history and is easy to locate from the main freeway. Downtown is about a 10 minute walk.
The hotel rooms were updated, the bathroom was clean and everything worked.
The staff went out of their way to help me, including using their office computer, cooking sticky pudding long after the restuarant was closed, and the breakfast was good. They even let us keep our car in the carpark long after we had checked out.
The stairs to the hotel which is located above the pub, is like an old tower steps, so if you have a lot of luggage edit it.

• Stayed: October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank monkeyjewelry
Reviewed 27 June 2006

The hotel's website makes this seem like a charming little place, but it is disappointing. The reception is basically the bar and when I arrived struggling with a huge case, I was studiously ignored and then when I finally grabbed someone's attention I was told that the bar was too busy and I'd have to wait to check in. I was given no information about breakfast, local info and had to ask how to find my room - and was offered no assistance with my case up the 4 flights of narrow spiral stairs. I felt like I was checking in to a backpackers hostel. The room was ok - apart from the grubby and tired bathroom complete with someone else's old toothbrush still on the sink! There was no blind or curtain on one of the two huge windows - not helpful when there is a streetlamp just outside. Plus the original windows were nailed open meaning that only the secondary glazing inside offered a slight protection from traffic noise. Its a shame because it is a lovely old building in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank LAA003
Maybole
Reviewed 3 March 2006

I stayed for one night and will certainly be back. The accommodation was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable with fabulous views. I had the full Scottish breakfast and it was fantastic. I was sorry I didnt have the opportunity to stay for dinner I will on my next visit.I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to see the true friendly face of Glasgow.I have stayed many times in city centre Hotels and have found The Cathedral House Hotel my favourite.

Stayed: March 2006