“Never again!”

Travelodge Glasgow Central
Ranked #48 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I am not given to making statements like this but Travelodge Glasgow is the exception. We had a night in Glasgow while changing a hire car for the train home next day.
So we chose Central Glasgow and arrived by Taxi. It went down hill from the start. The Automated Check in was not working, it had a printed notice to this effect so must have been out of action for some time! There was nobody at "Reception" so what were we to do? We sat and waited with our luggage and eventually a cheerful lass appeared and we checked in OK and made our way to the room which was fine if a little small for two. There were 'workman sounds' from the floor above and from a building across the street which we found disturbing but we hoped they would cease by the end of the working day.
We don't know Glasgow that well so we planned to eat in and at the appropriate time we went down looking for "the Restaurant". We found what appeared to be the Eating area but the chairs were all laid against the tables and there was no sign of any staff whatsoever. We were joined by another couple seeking refreshment too. It was Six O'clock after all. Nobody in the rooms and nobody in the kitchen either. I looked.
So I went to the "Reception" and after a wait asked a young man who appeared what time the Bar and Restaurant opened? To my surprise he said he was about to open up now. He went and unlocked the Bar and the other couple were served drinks while they studied a hastily produced menu. I asked for my drinks and queried when the Bar Staff would turn up. I was told 'he' was the Bar staff as well as reception tonight. I wondered aloud how he was expected to cope if folks were checking in as well.
I then asked when the Cook and Wait staff were due and was told they would not and he would take our orders, cook our food and serve it. All this on top of Reception and Bar duties. I expressed doubt that he could do all this effectively and he confirmed that one staff member had not turned up for work so he would have to cope. Good for him but what on earth were a major chain like Travelodge doing to let this happen?
I am not picky but I had serious concerns here and in particular wondered if under pressure we might see Food Hygiene standards suffer while this sole staff member tried to man the fort all alone! Chief Cook and bottlewasher sprung to mind. At this point he had to close the Bar again to attend to a growing queue at Check In. Total madness! At this point, partly on grounds to make the lad's job easier and partly on fear of poor food we decided to eat elsewhere (and pure serendipity got us a lovely meal at the nearby BayLeaf Malay Restaurant so it was not all bad news!)
We did get a good nights sleep but skipped breakfast for the same reason we skipped dinner. I doubt we will be so fond of Travelodge in the future.
Before posting here I did write to Travelodge HQ outlining the problems and my letter concluded with these words
"I normally review Travelodge highly but in these circumstances this is not merited but before posting anything adverse I think it fair to give you the opportunity to explain" This was on 11th June and to date, 26th, I have not even had a reply. Don't they even care!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mfuwe
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Glasgow Central, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review mfuwe. We hope all our guests enjoy their stays with us so we are very sorry to learn that you did not have a good guest experience with us. A good Travelodge breakfast requires a high level of service from our staff at all times so it is regrettable to learn that the hotel was understaffed in the bar café area during your stay. We would like to further understand the issues you have highlighted to find a resolution. Please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights in this Travelodge at the end of May. Brilliant location as it's far enough away from the hustle bustle of the city to escape any disturbances from outside noise but well within easy walking distance to all the shops,bars & restaurants etc. We didn't use the bar or cafe facilities nor did we have breakfast there as we were visiting friends in the city & so were eating elsewhere. Standard Travelodge accommodation and we found it to the best priced in the city. Staff were pleasant & always helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minnie1981
Reviewed 18 June 2014

On 6th June 2014 we reached Glasgow and stayed in this beautifully managed hotel for 2 nights. We booked in the Hotel website directly for room only.. The rate looked very reasonable to me comparing to Glasgow’s standard and we took the option for saver mode, i.e. non refundable.

We came by Easyjet flight from London Gatwick and reached in Glasgow International Airport at 8pm. We came out through arrival Gate and the First airport shuttle bus stop (Route 500) is just outside the gate. This bus service is one of the fastest way to go to city and at 10/15 mins interval. The fare is £ 4.50 per head for one way and £8.5 for return. That’s not all- we got a discount for 4 persons travelling together at the cost of 3 tickets. This bus had limited stops, had plenty of spaces for keeping luggage. It took 15 mins to reach the City and had stops at Central station, Queen Street station and the final stop Buchanan street Bus stand. There were intermittent stops also .We were little confused where to get down, but the driver was so helpful, he gave us clear directions handed over a map and advised us to get down at last stop.
When the Bus reached the last stop in 20 mins, we came out of the Bus stand, took a right turn and went straight until we reached Hill Street. At Hill Street, we took another right turn to reach Easy Hotel. Our Glasgow Central Travelodge is just besides Easy Hotel. The overall journey from the Bus stand to Hotel by walk took 20 mins only with the luggage.
We reached the hotel at around 9 pm and noticed Self Checking machine was available. However we did not try that one as there was a receptionist at the desk. We were given keys for Room 609 and 709, both were Family rooms for 3 persons each.
The rooms were very clean, a long wall mounted table type desk, a chair, , medium size TV and plenty of lights. Each room had 3 beds- one Queen size and 2 single bed, quite adequate for accommodating 4 people. There was an open small cabinet for keeping cloths and a tea maker and lots of tea bags, coffee packs, and milk (provided every day). The room had a small window. The room and furniture layout was so well organised that we had plenty of spaces even with so many beds. The beds were excellent. The bed liners were the most coveted one and most comfortable.
The bathroom was also good in size; The free Wi fi speed was very fast for personal use upto half an hour free connection. The Housekeeping was excellent- everyday they made the beds and changed the towels.

The location of the hotel was fantastic. It is in the City Centre zone, high street is only 5 mins walk, where you can have many restaurants. We took our dinner from an Indian Restaurant named Masala Twist- who provided fantastic foods at reasonable price.

As the check out time was 12 noon, we checked out and walked to Queen Street station for further journey to Fort William.

Altogether the Travelodge Central Glasgow was one of the very economic hotel with excellent room and location. We enjoyed every mom,ent of it and never expected such a high quality and big room size at the very reasonable rate.. Yes we will come back again definitely.

Before finishing I give our itinerary if others can get benefits from the same.

1st Day (half day)
Reached Glasgow in the evening
Took Dinner in Masala Twist

2nd Day
Took breakfast on a high street pub at £4.99
Lock Ness, Glasgow, Fort Augustus and Highlands’s tour by Rabbie’s tour- 8am to 7-30pm
Seen Glasgow Cathedral
3rd Day
Took breakfast on a high street pub at £4.99
Packed our lunch from Pret a manger
Leisure walk on High Street, enjoyed many old and historical building
Left Hotel at 11am for onward journey to Fort William by train( one of the scenic route in Europe)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DPMALLIC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked on-line and, on arrival, went to the automatic check-in but it was not working. However, no problem as the receptionist was welcoming and within a minute or two I was on my way to my room. The bar cafe provided my good value evening meal and drink. Room was clean and comfortable. Easy check-out next morning. I did not have breakfast because of the need to leave for a meeting.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Good location. Good staff. Hassle free check-in and value for money. The staff cleaned my room daily without even having to ask for it. The wifi is very stable though I wish more than 2 devices can be used.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel location was good, quite central but out enough to be relatively quiet. The refurbishment is excellent. We stayed in a family room, there was an additional single bed rather than a sofa which is much better, also the chairs were much more comfortable to sit in and the size of the room was huge. Staff at reception were friendly and the food facilities were very good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane10981
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at how central this hotel was to all the amenities in the city. The hotel is very clean and the double bed was very comfortable. The extra bed was not as good/comfortable but was ok to sleep on for the weekend. The hotel did not have twin beds which would have suited us better.
The staff were very friendly and accommodating from bringing us an iron and ironing board to buckets of ice! (to cool our wine!) nothing was too much trouble. I would certainly stay here again.
Thanks for making our stay in Glasgow a memorable one!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends