“Weekend Away”

Travelodge Glasgow Central
Ranked #50 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago very good hotel in a great location, the hotel was clean and has the new Travelodge look the room was clean but a little on the small side I've stayed in a few Travelodges and this was by far the smallest!

The staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Due to a flight delay I found myself booking in here at the last minute. When booking I was pleased to see it was one of the properties that had had the much heralded "new look" with new beds and other changes.

I arrived at 1:30 am and was checked in quickly by the lady on duty. My room was on the 5th floor and it looked very fresh and welcoming. The bed is a king-size and very comfortable although some may consider it a little firm. Given the late hour I went straight to bed but immediately and after turning off the TV I became aware of noise. The new Travelodge TV advert contains the line “take the children, leave the children, make more children.” The couple in a room nearby were certainly doing the latter. Very noisily. The woman was calling for divine intervention to help them in their quest. Unfortunately (for me) her partner had a lot of stamina so her cries for divine intervention grew louder and more frequent. It was almost impossible to get to sleep. Even once they had finished I struggled to get to sleep. It then got worse as after a short break it started all over again!

Eventually I did get to sleep for a few hours before getting up for an 8:00 am meeting.

I can’t blame the hotel for the actions of other guests and it probably won’t put me off staying here again as it was good value for money. The only downside is the slightly iffy area the hotel is in. I wouldn’t feel too comfortable walking around here late at night and I’m a 6 foot ex-prop forward.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel bar was friendly clean and tidy, staff were not there to serve though and had to be fetched each time we wanted a drink. The room was dark and dingy, the shower was appalling though, major leak from the back of the shower head, resulting in reduced power and a FLOOD in the bathroom..... very dangerous. Nothing worth talking about and probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Glasgow Central, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment Gordon H. We do hope our customers have a comfortable stay and it is regrettable to learn of the issues you had with the shower, all of our facilities should be working correctly and fully functional. We would like to take the opportunity to investigate your concerns regarding the shower in more detail so we would very much appreciate it if you would visit our website and use the Contact Us button to provide us with more details.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I am not given to making statements like this but Travelodge Glasgow is the exception. We had a night in Glasgow while changing a hire car for the train home next day.
So we chose Central Glasgow and arrived by Taxi. It went down hill from the start. The Automated Check in was not working, it had a printed notice to this effect so must have been out of action for some time! There was nobody at "Reception" so what were we to do? We sat and waited with our luggage and eventually a cheerful lass appeared and we checked in OK and made our way to the room which was fine if a little small for two. There were 'workman sounds' from the floor above and from a building across the street which we found disturbing but we hoped they would cease by the end of the working day.
We don't know Glasgow that well so we planned to eat in and at the appropriate time we went down looking for "the Restaurant". We found what appeared to be the Eating area but the chairs were all laid against the tables and there was no sign of any staff whatsoever. We were joined by another couple seeking refreshment too. It was Six O'clock after all. Nobody in the rooms and nobody in the kitchen either. I looked.
So I went to the "Reception" and after a wait asked a young man who appeared what time the Bar and Restaurant opened? To my surprise he said he was about to open up now. He went and unlocked the Bar and the other couple were served drinks while they studied a hastily produced menu. I asked for my drinks and queried when the Bar Staff would turn up. I was told 'he' was the Bar staff as well as reception tonight. I wondered aloud how he was expected to cope if folks were checking in as well.
I then asked when the Cook and Wait staff were due and was told they would not and he would take our orders, cook our food and serve it. All this on top of Reception and Bar duties. I expressed doubt that he could do all this effectively and he confirmed that one staff member had not turned up for work so he would have to cope. Good for him but what on earth were a major chain like Travelodge doing to let this happen?
I am not picky but I had serious concerns here and in particular wondered if under pressure we might see Food Hygiene standards suffer while this sole staff member tried to man the fort all alone! Chief Cook and bottlewasher sprung to mind. At this point he had to close the Bar again to attend to a growing queue at Check In. Total madness! At this point, partly on grounds to make the lad's job easier and partly on fear of poor food we decided to eat elsewhere (and pure serendipity got us a lovely meal at the nearby BayLeaf Malay Restaurant so it was not all bad news!)
We did get a good nights sleep but skipped breakfast for the same reason we skipped dinner. I doubt we will be so fond of Travelodge in the future.
Before posting here I did write to Travelodge HQ outlining the problems and my letter concluded with these words
"I normally review Travelodge highly but in these circumstances this is not merited but before posting anything adverse I think it fair to give you the opportunity to explain" This was on 11th June and to date, 26th, I have not even had a reply. Don't they even care!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mfuwe
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Glasgow Central, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review mfuwe. We hope all our guests enjoy their stays with us so we are very sorry to learn that you did not have a good guest experience with us. A good Travelodge breakfast requires a high level of service from our staff at all times so it is regrettable to learn that the hotel was understaffed in the bar café area during your stay. We would like to further understand the issues you have highlighted to find a resolution. Please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights in this Travelodge at the end of May. Brilliant location as it's far enough away from the hustle bustle of the city to escape any disturbances from outside noise but well within easy walking distance to all the shops,bars & restaurants etc. We didn't use the bar or cafe facilities nor did we have breakfast there as we were visiting friends in the city & so were eating elsewhere. Standard Travelodge accommodation and we found it to the best priced in the city. Staff were pleasant & always helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minnie1981
Reviewed 18 June 2014

On 6th June 2014 we reached Glasgow and stayed in this beautifully managed hotel for 2 nights. We booked in the Hotel website directly for room only.. The rate looked very reasonable to me comparing to Glasgow’s standard and we took the option for saver mode, i.e. non refundable.

We came by Easyjet flight from London Gatwick and reached in Glasgow International Airport at 8pm. We came out through arrival Gate and the First airport shuttle bus stop (Route 500) is just outside the gate. This bus service is one of the fastest way to go to city and at 10/15 mins interval. The fare is £ 4.50 per head for one way and £8.5 for return. That’s not all- we got a discount for 4 persons travelling together at the cost of 3 tickets. This bus had limited stops, had plenty of spaces for keeping luggage. It took 15 mins to reach the City and had stops at Central station, Queen Street station and the final stop Buchanan street Bus stand. There were intermittent stops also .We were little confused where to get down, but the driver was so helpful, he gave us clear directions handed over a map and advised us to get down at last stop.
When the Bus reached the last stop in 20 mins, we came out of the Bus stand, took a right turn and went straight until we reached Hill Street. At Hill Street, we took another right turn to reach Easy Hotel. Our Glasgow Central Travelodge is just besides Easy Hotel. The overall journey from the Bus stand to Hotel by walk took 20 mins only with the luggage.
We reached the hotel at around 9 pm and noticed Self Checking machine was available. However we did not try that one as there was a receptionist at the desk. We were given keys for Room 609 and 709, both were Family rooms for 3 persons each.
The rooms were very clean, a long wall mounted table type desk, a chair, , medium size TV and plenty of lights. Each room had 3 beds- one Queen size and 2 single bed, quite adequate for accommodating 4 people. There was an open small cabinet for keeping cloths and a tea maker and lots of tea bags, coffee packs, and milk (provided every day). The room had a small window. The room and furniture layout was so well organised that we had plenty of spaces even with so many beds. The beds were excellent. The bed liners were the most coveted one and most comfortable.
The bathroom was also good in size; The free Wi fi speed was very fast for personal use upto half an hour free connection. The Housekeeping was excellent- everyday they made the beds and changed the towels.

The location of the hotel was fantastic. It is in the City Centre zone, high street is only 5 mins walk, where you can have many restaurants. We took our dinner from an Indian Restaurant named Masala Twist- who provided fantastic foods at reasonable price.

As the check out time was 12 noon, we checked out and walked to Queen Street station for further journey to Fort William.

Altogether the Travelodge Central Glasgow was one of the very economic hotel with excellent room and location. We enjoyed every mom,ent of it and never expected such a high quality and big room size at the very reasonable rate.. Yes we will come back again definitely.

Before finishing I give our itinerary if others can get benefits from the same.

1st Day (half day)
Reached Glasgow in the evening
Took Dinner in Masala Twist

2nd Day
Took breakfast on a high street pub at £4.99
Lock Ness, Glasgow, Fort Augustus and Highlands’s tour by Rabbie’s tour- 8am to 7-30pm
Seen Glasgow Cathedral
3rd Day
Took breakfast on a high street pub at £4.99
Packed our lunch from Pret a manger
Leisure walk on High Street, enjoyed many old and historical building
Left Hotel at 11am for onward journey to Fort William by train( one of the scenic route in Europe)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DPMALLIC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked on-line and, on arrival, went to the automatic check-in but it was not working. However, no problem as the receptionist was welcoming and within a minute or two I was on my way to my room. The bar cafe provided my good value evening meal and drink. Room was clean and comfortable. Easy check-out next morning. I did not have breakfast because of the need to leave for a meeting.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business