“I thought I was staying with my Scottish cousins”
Review of Kelvingrove Hotel

Kelvingrove Hotel
Ranked #63 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 6 October 2007

The Kelvingrove Hotel is modest, small hotel on Sauchiehall Street near to the Kelvingrove Museum (a stunning Museum) and the University of Glasgow. From the moment you enter the door, you think that you have entered your Scottish home. Mandy, her mom, and her grandmother all are warm and embracing. They are a font of knowledge. Their restaurant tips were spot-on. When I needed an MD suddenly, they rang up their local GP and a few hours later, I was seen.

The rooms are very comfortable and the water in the shower hot and plentiful.

I particularly liked the WiFi. They have a computer in the lobby that anyone can use but if you have your own computer, they have a router that provides a strong signal. In fact, I think my connection here was much faster than my home.

The area is up and coming. That means that it was a tawdry place but is now being gentrified. There are sleazy newsstands next to very chic boutiques. Some of the restaurants are clearly hot.

Breakfast was standard fare but nice.

I will stay here again and am recommending it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Yaksha

Reviewed 26 September 2007

This is a lovely hotel. I stayed for only two nights on 19 & 20 September but I wish I'd have happily stayed longer. The best thing about it is the exceptional staff. They're all so friendly and helpful and really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The hotel was full I think but at all times the staff made you feel as if you were the only guest. The breakfast was good, the free internet access a bonus and my room (No 7 at the rear) immaculately clean but homely. Its proximity to the amazing Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is a major advantage too.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Excellent experience from beginning to end - great directions, very nice location, helpful front desk, comfortable rooms, good breakfast, friendly staff. Can't think of any complaints whatsoever!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank JanMaryland
Reviewed 18 September 2007

We were 2 couples who stayed at the hotel on the August Bank Holiday Weekend. We arrived at the hotel early afteroon and the reception staff could not have been more helpful we were given maps and general information about the city. We were then taken to our rooms which Were lovely large rooms to the front of the the Hotel which were very bright and very clean , and the beds were very comfortable so we all had a good sleep.
The Breakfast is a must it is cooked to order and there is a choice for everyones taste, and the dining room staff are very frendly and nothing is to much to ask. The Hotel is a great area 5 minutes from the University and Kelvingrove Art Gallaries and 10 minutes walk to Byres Road which has lovely bars restauurants and shops which we loved., you can also walk into the city which is 20 minutes walk or 10 mnutes in a taxi which we did. Ww loved the hotel and will back again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2007

I have to say that anyone who is looking for a great central location in Glasgow this place is perfect.

The Victorian buildings surrounding this area are beautiful. We went to the Kelvin Art Gallery and it is simply stunning. Lots of shops and places to eat within walking distance.

The hotel was clean and all the staff were very pleasant.

I would recommend this hotel to family and friends

We will be back

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 12 September 2007

The fact that this hotel is rated #5 in glasgow must say more for the poor quality of hotels in town than for this hotel's quality!

The hotel sits on probably the busiest street in glasgow....cars race up and down the street all night...and the hotel fronts right onto the street...our room was unbelievably noisy all night long...so much so that my girlfriend and I barely had an hours sleep..and even tried to move hotel at 3am in the morning....we had a wedding the next day to attend and were absolutely exhausted. We aren't even light sleepers so I would pity those who are!

The rooms are clean enough and the staff are genuinely nice...but if you want to get a good couple of hours sleep please please stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank farfromhomeagain
Reviewed 10 September 2007

The general comments as to a clean B&B and the rooms being on the basement level are very accurate, also every room is a double. Although the hotel does not serve an evening meal they do provide a lot of information about the local restaraunts from little Italy on Meyers Road to the Mother India nearly opposite and Babbirs on Church Street and a local map. It was lovely to have a cooked to order breakfast each morning to a very high standard, which puts some of the 4 & 5* hotels in Glasgow to shame. If you are looking for a clean friendly hotel at a reasonable price with no frills I would fully recomend the Kelvingrove.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business