“Great Staff, great room, good value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kelvingrove Hotel

Kelvingrove Hotel
Ranked #67 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
LONDON UK
“Great Staff, great room, good value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights in October 2007.

The staff on arrival (Mandy) were excellent and had us booked into a restaurant within minutes of our arrival. She gave us honest views on several places within walking distance and called them to reserve our table.

Our room was number 19 and was right at the front of the hotel. There was some traffic noise and we heard some shouting in the early hours from the street but overall not too bad for a main road location. The room itself was large, clean and had a spare bed. The room was nicely decorated and the bathroom was clean. Tea and coffee in the room and breakfast was brought to us at no extra charge. We opted for a continental and although quite basic it was ample.

Location wise it was perfect for us being close to the West End. I'm from Glasgow and therefore know my way around so if visiting please remember that the west end in London is the centre of town basically. The west end in Glasgow is actually the western part of the City. Its a great area for eating out drinking and shopping on and around Byres Road and this hotel is perfectly situated.

There are no facilities such as a bar etc at the hotel but if you want a clean, reasonably priced place to stay with staff who will do anything to help you out then give it a go..

What I would change.. Not much to be honest. I think it could look much better on the inside with some new room doors as the brown painted ones make it look a bit "dorm. like" and the wall lights on the headboard wall are too low so you can't sit up on the bed properly. Small points I know but I review honestly..

Try BLAS restaurant about 5 -10 minute walk for great scottish food and lovely atmosphere at a reasonable price. £40 for 2 people for a starter, 2 mains, 1 bottle of wine and a whisky that was perfect with the haggis..

If you like greek food then KONTAKI next door is hard to beat but unless you know what you're ordering I'd avoid the greek wines...

I'd stay again..

2 Thank STEVEUK1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Indonesian first
washington, d.c.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2007

Staff are exceptionally friendly; location is good, breakfast delicious. Free internet access, access to fresh fruit 24/7; hot showers (which we didn't always find in other parts of Scotland); excellent lighting for reading, well-maintained, pretty rooms (ours was purple), . Highly recommend.

• Liked — helpful staff
1 Thank egere
Teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2007

We stayed in room 5 at the Kelvingrove for 2 nights for a romantic short break. Was persuaded by the fantastic reviews to pick this hotel and very glad we did as was really lovely. Excellent location and the staff could not have been more helpful. Will definitely be going back!!! x

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank RubyMedicine
ayr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2007

I had to put a comment on about the Kelvingrove. Myself and my 2 friends stayed overnight for a girls day and night. The hotel is gorgeous very very clean and the staff were so helpful and friendly. The breakfast was also delicious. I have stayed in a fair few hotels and i can honestly say the Kelvingrove (considering how much we paid for our stay) has by far been the best. I will definately be returning and will be taking my family next time. Well done to the owners and staff.

• Liked — very friendly staff felt like being at a realtives house
  • Disliked — Maybe a bar ?
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2007

My husband and I had never stayed in Glasgow before and choose this hotel purely by the welcoming look it had outside. Luckily they had one empty room but only for one night. The hotel is run by three female generations of one family. They have the guests interest at heart from the word go and I loved the feminine touches - e.g. magazines to borrow.

The rooms are beautifully clean and the breakfast and service was excellent.

We will certainly stay there again in the future and this time book for a longer stay.

• Liked — Cleaniness
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2007

The Kelvingrove Hotel is modest, small hotel on Sauchiehall Street near to the Kelvingrove Museum (a stunning Museum) and the University of Glasgow. From the moment you enter the door, you think that you have entered your Scottish home. Mandy, her mom, and her grandmother all are warm and embracing. They are a font of knowledge. Their restaurant tips were spot-on. When I needed an MD suddenly, they rang up their local GP and a few hours later, I was seen.

The rooms are very comfortable and the water in the shower hot and plentiful.

I particularly liked the WiFi. They have a computer in the lobby that anyone can use but if you have your own computer, they have a router that provides a strong signal. In fact, I think my connection here was much faster than my home.

The area is up and coming. That means that it was a tawdry place but is now being gentrified. There are sleazy newsstands next to very chic boutiques. Some of the restaurants are clearly hot.

Breakfast was standard fare but nice.

I will stay here again and am recommending it to friends.

• Liked — Friendly reception
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Yaksha
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2007

This is a lovely hotel. I stayed for only two nights on 19 & 20 September but I wish I'd have happily stayed longer. The best thing about it is the exceptional staff. They're all so friendly and helpful and really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The hotel was full I think but at all times the staff made you feel as if you were the only guest. The breakfast was good, the free internet access a bonus and my room (No 7 at the rear) immaculately clean but homely. Its proximity to the amazing Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is a major advantage too.

• Liked — the staff
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business