“Lived up to all expectations”
Review of Kelvingrove Hotel

Kelvingrove Hotel
Ranked #63 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Before booking at the Kelvingrove Hotel I had read a number of reviews on this website so I had very high expectations. I was not disappointed. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, the breakfast was delicious and the rooms were lovely.

It was the perfect compromise as it had the facilities and standards of a large hotel but all the charm and character of a B&B.

Next time I am in Glasgow I will certainly go back here. A lovely experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Reviewed 3 May 2009

From the time we checked in at Kelvingrove we were taken care of better than anywhere I have ever been. We had requested a "cot" for one night for a 5th person (we had a quad) but the American cot translates into a baby crib in Scotland! Instead of telling us that we would need an extra room or our friend couldn't stay, the owner had a bed assembled and put in the room and rearranged the furniture to fit. Our room was decorated very nicely (not like a hotel) and overlooked a garden level patio that was just coming into flower season with pots and windowboxes. Breakfast each morning was very nice and the owner and her daughter were helpful in every way possible, as well as the gentleman on the weekend night staff that lent me his "Scotland for Dummies" book. Free internet computer was an added bonus.
Highly recommend a stay here, just a block from the free art and transportation museums.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I went to Glasgow for a short break with my mother as a birthday treat. I found the Kelvingrove on Tripadvisor and booked it on the strength of the review. We were not disappointed. We had a family room on the front of the hotel which was a good size, with comfortable beds and, as someone else has mentioned, decent water pressure in the showers. Bedroom was very clean. Breakfast was good - you need to ask for extras like yogurt and fruit salad etc as they are not set out as a buffet. The welcome was great - they are very friendly and cannot do enough for their guests, eg booking restaurants and looking for special offers. There is free internet access in the lobby as well as Wifi if you have your own laptop. The location is fantastic - you can walk into town in 15-20 minutes and to places like the Kelvingrove Art Gallery in about 5. There is a bus stop for the airport just over the road and a taxi takes 20 minutes to the airport (Glasgow, for Prestwick you'd need to take a train). The only thing I didn't like was a TV (turned on) in the breakfast room - as there are TVs in the bedrooms, I don't think this is necessary and is a bit tacky. But this really was the only thing I didn't like. I would heartily recommend this hotel. It is thoroughly good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stayed at the Kelvingrove recently and were happy with our experience. The breakfast is good and filling. The room/ bathroom were clean and well decorated. The staff were friendly. The location is great - in the west end, close to the University of Glasgow, Kelvingrove Museum and Park and walking distance to downtown and other sights. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We stayed at the Kelvingrove for 3 nights with my Mother-in-Law whilst visiting our son at University of Glasgow. The Proprietor, Valerie, took care to give us rooms together and gave us a very friendly welcome. She even invited our son over for a free breakfast ...he managed it only once though! I cannot fault the customer service, our rooms were warm, comfortable and clean and all the staff were friendly and courteous. There was a computer in reception for the use of guest to check emails etc.

The breakfast was very good, although the menu was not extensive, due I think to the lack of space for a buffet style menu. If I had to be picky I would have preferred a ‘room with a view’ (we were in the basement, looking out on the tenement backs) but the comfort of the room more than made up for this.

A great hotel for a short stay city break in a good position with good parking around (free at weekends, £4 per day during the week)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I chose this hotel for a quick overnight stay purely on the basis of the enthusiastic reviews here.

My sister and I loved the welcome that we had from Mandy the youngest of the sisters that own the place. All the other staff we encountered were helpful and very friendly.

The bedrooms were very clean and comfortable although quite functionally furnished. I thought that the bathrooms were of a high standard for the grade of hotel.

Breakfast was pleasant although the fry -up was not particularly big. My sister loved her porridge. Coffee, juice and toast all fine.

The location though not very central is fascinating. A previously run down area is on the way back up. So amongst some boarded up properties you can find plenty of litttle gems of new restaurants coffe shops and bars. Because the university is nearby there is a nice studenty buzz to the area.We had a real problem making up our minds which of the nearby restaurants to select for dinner.

We felt entirely safe walking back at 10pm.

I would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I recently spent five nights at the Kelvingrove and was impressed by the excellent staff, the great food, and the close proximity to the museums and the SECC. The museums and University were within walking distance. No car needed. Taxis were efficient and reasonably priced for trips to more trendy areas. I really can't say enough about the staff. Such wonderful people. They really went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and that all of our questions were answered. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. My only issue was that the small bathroom door (a sliding, closet-type door) did not fully close. The majority of the rooms are in the lower level, but we had a nice window that looked out into the back courtyard. Would definitely stay here again. Such a good value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business