“Another mixed review.”

Ranked #65 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Melbourne
“Another mixed review.”
Reviewed 16 August 2009

My room at the Kelvingrove, number seven, was fine, but based on the reviews on here I’d set my expectations high, and they weren’t met.

First impressions were good. The receptionist seemed to get slightly flustered when another guest asked her a question at the same time as she was trying to get me booked in, but she was friendly, smiling, and happily helped me carry my large suitcase down the stairs to my room.

Having booked a single room I was pleasantly surprised to get a fairly spacious room with a double bed. However the wood-effect formica laminated furniture, a loose leg on one of the chairs, the worn and scuffed wallpaper and paintwork, and the linoleum on the bathroom floor instead of tile all cheapened the overall effect. Because my room was at ground level facing onto a courtyard, I kept the blind closed and the room was gloomier because of this.

A small kettle, teapot and cups were provided, along with teabags, instant coffee and sugar sachets. No biscuits. When I used the teabags they were not replenished.

As others have said, the shower is very powerful – just remember to close the screen fully before you turn it on or the water will go everywhere! The towels were not “supersoft” as stated on the hotel website, just ordinary towels, a bit on the small side, and bit on the thin side if anything. As a single guest in a double room I did enjoy a double supply of towels.

The hotel website promises free wifi, which was available but unfortunately not in all rooms, and not in mine. I couldn’t get a signal with my own wireless broadband “dongle” nor could I get a mobile phone signal in my room, so to use the internet I had to take my laptop out to the front reception area to access the wifi. There is a free internet terminal for guests in the front reception area as well.

As other reviewers have noted, this hotel has quite a small breakfast room given the number of rooms. As others noted, people arriving for breakfast often had to wait for a table.

Other reviewers seemed to be impressed by the quality and size of the breakfast, but I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Due to dietary restrictions (Coeliac) I couldn’t eat everything on offer. I did have selected items from the cooked breakfast menu, and the servings of each individual item weren't generous. The bacon was overcooked, dry and chewy, and on one occasion the "cooked tomato" wasn't cooked, but the eggs were fine and the food arrived promptly.

The hotel is very conveniently situated for bus routes into the city, a number of buses leave from a stop almost outside the hotel door, and the guest information guide in the room gives detailed information about the various bus routes (which streets they go along, where to get off for various attractions/shops, where to catch the bus back) which is very useful if you're a stranger in town.

On my first morning the cleaner had started to do the rounds about 9am. A little girl, the hotel owner’s granddaughter, I think, was being allowed to play in the passageway making quite a bit of noise (not at all discouraged by those adults present). Didn't bother me as I was just back from breakfast, and about to go out, but I’m sure that any guests who arrived late the night before and wanted a sleep in wouldn’t have appreciated the disturbance.

Having seen the cleaner start work when I left that morning, I was disappointed when I arrived back in my room at 2.30pm that day to find she'd only just started on my room, and I had to go away again and come back to allow her to finish.

On my final morning the water-heater malfunctioned so everyone who rose early, including me, faced a cold shower.

This place is fine, but it certainly wasn't worth the $65 per night I paid, and I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 August 2009

The good: bathroom renovated, wifi in lobby (didn't work in room), staff very friendly and helpful, walls thin.
The bad: Bedroom was clean but shabby, seemed to be a family room they didn't update so it wouldn't be damaged by kids. Breakfast average, coffee terrible.
Just a note, they keep a computer in the lobby for people to leave reviews on tripadvisor. I think the reviews are genuine and we just didn't have the best room (other rooms we noticed are better and staff was certainly very nice) but this practice definitely skews the number of reviews.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We stayed at the Kelvingrove two weeks ago and couldn't be happier with our choice of hotel. We will definitely return! The service is absolutely perfect - staff were friendy, and interested, and eager to help, but not "over the top". The breakfast was very generous and our room was clean and had high ceilings and a nice shower. The location is just fine - we were close to the Botanical Gardens ( ten minute walk) and almost directly beside Glasgow's most popular sight - the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. Being near Glasgow University was great as well because there were student restuarants available as well as more epxensive upscale eateries. We walked back and forth to town, right down to the Cathedral, without difficultyy, but if you only want to go one way, the city bus stops directly in front of the Kelinvgrove's door. Do yourself a favour and stay here!

1 Thank NiHaoToronto
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 30 July 2009

The Kelvingrove Hotel provided us with a clean and comfortable place to stay whilst we were in Glasgow. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. We felt welcome the minute we arrived. Breakfasts are huge and will leave you filled until the early afternoon. Perfect for touring. The hotel is within walking distance to good restaurants, a fine museum, and the beautiful University of Glasgow. Additionally, the tour bus stops right in front of the hotel, so you have excellent access to major tourists sites. The only complaint we had was that our room was on the ground floor next the the kitchen, toilet, and reception. It could be noisy at times. Had we to do over again, we would've requested a room farther away from reception. That was our only quibble.

Seaham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Situated in the West End of the city, The Kelvingrove is a homely retreat in an area well-served by public transport.
This was our first visit to Glasgow and we wanted to be pampered a bit and feel safe in the knowledge we were in good hands.
The reception area is not large, but is funcional and there are a couple of comfy seats for those who need them and an internet-ready PC.
Reception staff (we met Sandy) are friendly, courteous and knowledgable of the local environs, transport and eat and drinkeries.
We arrived early and Sandy agreed to deposit our bag in our room when it was ready.
Most of the rooms are below street level and offer comfortable large beds. The bathrooms are on the small size, but the refreshing power of the showers and the constant temperature makes up for that.
Some of the rooms - those on the street level - have delightful decor, with high ceilings and bay windows adorned with flowers boxes.
Breakfasts are sumptuous, and can be had in your room for no extra charge... and they arrive on time.
The Kelvingrove is family run and it showed with the welcome we got.
Recommended.

1 Thank philbern
Dubai
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Loved this small hotel - nice clean rooms with lovely flowers outside, hearty breakfast, convenient location (right next to the hop-on hop-off bus stop) and very friendly staff. We especially loved the overll white look of the rooms. There is ample paid parking just outside - but you can get discounted paking tickets from the reception. Would love to go back there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2009

An excellent hotel- no faults really. Had a nice stay- nice clean rooms, good substantial breakfast, excellent transport links, great staff, fast internet- didn't want for anything.
I didn't take my car, so I'm not sure there's parking- didn't look like it.
Would stay here again.