“Just wonderful”

Ranked #67 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Maryland
“Just wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

I stayed there January 23rd and 24th of 2010. Just the right amount of elegance and casual attention. Sandy was the first to greet me and he was so welcoming. Made me feel right at home immediately. Sandy helped take my luggage downstairs to my cozy Room 14.
Everytime I had a question they had an answer for me. When I needed the iron, it was brought to my room immediately. The room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was wonderful.
When I told Valerie I would need a cab back to the airport at 4:30am the next morning, she arranged it immediately with a reputable, helpful, friendly, private cab driver who showed up promptly at 4:28am.
When I was ready to leave the fellow taking care of the front desk quickly came to my assistance to help me carry my luggage upstairs.
When I come back to Glasgow next year I will certainly be booking my room here again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Indonesian first
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

Stayed here again for one night with my daughter. Very convienent location for visiting University. Very friendly welcome, comfortable room, very tasy freshly cooked breakfast. Within walking (and smelling distance) of Mother India restaurant where we had our best ever Indian meal at a very reasonable price. Will come back to stay here again to spend a weekend enjoying some of which Belfast has to offer. Thank you all at the Kelvingrove.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Oxon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

Picked the hotel based on previous recommendations and not disappointed! Nothing was too much trouble and that the hotel accepted pets was a massive help to us. We felt it was extraordinary that all staff we encountered were so helpful and friendly!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

I had booked the Kelvingrove online based on it's location and price. It seemed a good value. Turned out to be a real gem among the many hotels I stayed in over the summer.

It was fairly easy to find, a real relief when driving in a foreign country at night. Parking wasn't too difficult to find, we parked around the corner.

We had a late arrival and the man at the desk was very friendly. He gave us a voucher for parking, and helped with our bags.

The rooms are okay. We were in the basement and therefore could not open our window or even open the curtains since our window was basically street level. The rooms are clean, and have the necessary ammenities. One small complaint is that there was a strange smell coming from the bathroom, seemingly from the sink. It was quite unpleasant, but as we were only there for a night we didn't bother complaining about it.

The breakfast is fantastic, definitely this hotels best feature. My husband especially loved having a full breakfast after weeks of contiental ones. Service was great and it was a nice way to start our day.

The hotel is in a pretty good location. It's walking distance from many shops and restaurants, but still in a quiet neighborhood.

I would definitely return here again. Great service, breakfast, location, and value.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

I booked the Kelvingrove Hotel for my mum and dad who were visiting Glasgow. We would have accommodated them in our home however we have two young boisterous children and we thought it more appropriate for them to be in a quieter environment.

The feedback that I got from my parents was that they didn't expect to be in a basement room, where most of the rooms appear to be located, the room was noisy, the bathroom was also noisy on every occasion that they ran a hot or cold tap with a screaching noise coming from a pump which gets rid of the water.

The service was good with the staff helpful and informative, the breakfast was good, however the price we paid was on a par with the prices quoted from some good larger branded hotels on a late deal basis, particularly through laterooms type websites, with these larger hotels having proper and many hotel facilities, whereas the Kelvingrove is basically only a Bed and Breakfast guest house.

We were also dissapointed with the incentives on offer from the Kelvingrove Hotel to write a positive review on trip advisor, which we thought contrary to the principles of trip advisor insofar as if guests are offered incentives for writing only positive reviews, then truly unbiased reviews will be outweighed by biased reviews with a conflict of interest and imbalance being prevalent, showing the Hotel in a better light than it otherwise should be.

We feel that Hotels that are reviewed on trip advisor should allow the guests the freedom to compliment the Hotel and write a good review if they so wish and as to how they see fit without offering inducements of free nights, discounts, etc., or actively encouraging the guests to write positive reviews and looking for compliments, as by doing so, the Hotel is simply acting in a way that is contrary to the principles of trip advisor.

If the Hotel continues offering inducements to write positive reviews on trip advisor then our suggestion would be that trip advisor should have a caveat at the top of the page advising potential guests that this hotel is offering incentives to write a positive review therefore this should be kept in mind when reading the reviews, which would not only be fair to potential guests, but also to other Hotels who may be in competition to the Kelvingrove Hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank helena60
Isle of Lewis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2009

The hotel has a good mix of double and single rooms which was great for a group of us girls up in Glasgow for a long weekend. The location is a short taxi ride to the centre but benefits from being near the Kelvingrove Museum in an area well served with great restaurants and bars..a little village really. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and after a hard day of galleries, museums, and shopping they had already booked us into a restaurant for the evening and made life so easy for us, taxis booked etc. To be honest they could have planned our full itinerary.! I shall def go back when I am on business in Glasgow as it great for the single traveller too.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
aberdeenshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2009

Fab Locate - 15 min walk from main shopping area, 15 min walk to SECC, easy parking managed to park right outside the hotel with no charge at weekends, perfect

Fab Service - Breakfast on the Sunday morning was very busy with a small wait, however the staff offered to call us the minute a table was available so we could wait in our room for all of a mather of minutes rather than the reception area.

Fab Value - Excellent value given all of the above, why stay in a road hotel when you could stay here for a similar cost but have a great breakfast in the morning included. We also believe that a family of 4 can stay in a family room for similar value.

Fab Staff - All of the above would be pointless if the staff weren't helpful and friendly. No worries here, very welcoming and accommodating, let us drop our bags off before check in time and bent over backwards to make our custom feel welcomed.

Will defiantly be back.