“Nice west end location”

Glasgow Youth Hostel
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. It was a bit outside of town so I would suggest if you want to be in the middle of town you stay somewhere closer to the city centre. However, we found that the west end was fairly close to all the things we wanted to do (Glosgow Uni, Park, Museums etc) and there was heaps of funky places to chill out. It’s located in one of the nicest areas in Glasgow and the place is massive. We stayed on the third floor facing the park and had a really nice view over the city (you don’t normally get that in a hostel). The staff were ok and fairly helpful. The rooms and facilities were as you would expect. However, we didn’t try the breakfast as we thought it was a bit overpriced. We would definitely stay here again next time we go to Glasgow.

Room Tip: I would advise that you ask for a top room floor with a view over the city!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank treeoflifelife_86

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed here fo an overnight whilst seeing a gig at Hamden Park.

Great location with great parking facilities and the walk into the centre is 20-30 minutes which is great to get yourself orientated.

The private room we had was fine, just right for what we needed.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

What a good surprise !
I was expecting a poor and dirty youth hostel (I had booked too late to have another hotel) but I was very surprised to discover a very nice room lovely furbished, with a welcoming cattle, biscuits, chocolate and tea + coffee.
The private bathroom was just perfect, and the offered breakfast in the ;orning is just a very thoughtful attention !
Lovely staff, very good hotel !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Easy to find if you follow the directions provided at booking - but be aware: the bus system here changed a week ago, and the 44 now runs as the 4 or 4A. My room was clean, large and bright. A shower and toilet were in-suite as well as an extra toilet across the hall. The reception and main staircase create a very elegant and professional atmosphere.

The self-serve kitchen is awesome. Compared to other hostels that I've been in, this one is fully equipped and I'm much more comfortable making my breakfasts and lunches there!

Definitely stay here when you're passing through Glasgow. The area is beautiful and there are lots lots of opportunities for photos as you're walking to and from the hostel.

Room Tip: Apparently, the quality of the rooms vary - I stayed on the 3rd floor and my room was beautiful. If...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Meaghan K
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed here for one night. Too far away from railway station (/bus station), should´ve took the bus. The hostel is very old, and not very good condition. I had to change my room for 3 times. In first room was awful noise, heater (battery) on the toilet kept so loud noise that no one couldn´t sleep there in the night! I tried first to say to the staff that if someone could fix it. They said that sorry, the handyman comes tomorrow at the earliest. Well I think that was far too loud (really!!) noise to anyone sleep in there. Staff was helpful. But condition of this hostel wasn´t so good and not the location either. I felt a little but unsafe walking this far in the evening.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I was nervous at first as my backpacking days are well and truly over. But I was pleasantly surprised at my experience which my partner booked confidently (as he done it before) and now we are signed-up over 26 year olds member! This is in a grade listed building in the beautiful Park Terrace area overlooking the park and near to the Galleries. The welcome was very friendly and a young man offered to carry my heavy suitcase up the three floors (no lift). The self-catering room was spotless with all the modern facilities. Our double-room with ensuite bathroom was clean, newly painted with a beautifully staggering view over the city especially at nightime.

By saving your pennies you have more cash to spend on meals out. We were on our way up to Islay. I really recommend this to everyone, young and old!

Room Tip: There is no lift so if you have mobility issues, do call them so you are on the ground floor or easy...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rovianne M
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I stayed in 6-bed dorm for 4 nights in Dec 2012. The hostel is clean,warm, well-managed and friendly. Our room had an en suite shower room and separate loo. The kitchen is well-equipped and very clean.

The hostel is 10 mins walk from the fantastic Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery and about 15 mins by bus from the city centre. Bus fare is £1.15 but no change is given so make sure you've got change.

I really enjoyed my stay here. There is a very spacious lounge which is nice if you want a quiet read. There is also a large TV room. I was self-catering so I can't comment on the food.

Highly recommended. Just make sure you pack your brolly and a good mac as Glasgow gets LOTS of rain. It rained every day I was there. This wasn't a problem as I had a good mac and waterproof trousers but if you've not got the right clothes, you could be a bit miserable.

Room Tip: Can't comment on this, but make sure you pack ear plugs if you're planning on booking a dor...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo