Glasgow Youth Hostel
US$200
US$100
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Glasgow Marriott Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$94
  • Restaurant
Novotel Glasgow Centre(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$113
  • Breakfast included
US$284
US$111
  • Pool
Ibis Glasgow City Centre(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$70
ibis
US$215
US$180
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewskelvingrove parkself catering kitchenwest endcommon roomfabulous buildingcity centrecooking facilitiesbunk bedsshower and toiletno liftthe rooms were nicecommon areasfree wifithe ground floorsuperb locationtransport linkswould definitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I booked a room at the Glasgow Youth Hostel last minute as we were coming through to Glasgow for Hogmanay, we were not looking for anything special just somewhere to lay our head and as the reviews on here were good I decided to go ahead and book.

The hostel is about a 20minute walk from Charing Cross Station and is in a nice area. The hostel is basic inside with a reception area, communal lounge and a self catering kitchen. We got our key cards and made our way up to our room, unfortunately it took three attempts to open the room door, my partner sure burned a few calories running up and down the stairs until someone came up to help.

The room itself was very basic but I wasn't expecting anything else. The interior of the room is very worn and dated, there are random pictures placed in strange places but I think this is just to cover up holes in the walls or chipped paint. A lick of paint would do it wonders.The shower room and the bathroom were both clean, as was the bedroom however we found a wasp on the window cill that insinuates that the room hadn't been given a thorough clean in quite a few months considering it was the end of December and the last time I saw one was August! The beds and the pillows were very comfortable so I was looking forward to a good nights sleep after arriving back at the hostel later that night.

Unfortunately I got the worst sleep possible, I was woken from 4.30 right through till check out. The walls are paper thin so you can here everyone coming up the stairs and anyone having a normal conversation in the room next door sounds like they are in the same room. There was a constant drip coming from the shower room that didn't help either. If I had managed to get a decent sleep I would have gave 3* however it seemed impossible with the noise. If you are having a night out in town and just want somewhere to sleep for a reasonable price then I would say stay here, I may return in future if need be.

I'll just make sure I have a good drink in me so I can sleep straight through till morning x

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xscottish-galx
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Hostel was better then I thought it would be. Beautiful property located in a quiet suburb next to a lovely park. However as a solo female I found it quite eerie at night coming from the city centre. Close to supermarket and about 20/25 minute walk from main bus station

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TaraP9
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This hostel isn't central, it is about a 20 - 30 minute walk to central Glasgow. The suburb its in is lovely though with a great big park outside and the views at night are great.

I normally enjoy a hostel vibe but this was drab. The place is clean enough but the rooms are extremely hot. Waking up in the middle of winter sweating hot... which is saying something from an Australian. Also the toilets and showers in the rooms were unpleasant to say the least.

Staff weren't rude but weren't overly helpful either. Wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sairrjane
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The location was not what we thought it would be. It was very close to the park and about a 20-30 minute walk to the city center/university center. There was no WiFi in the rooms. Not handicap friendly- lots of steep stairs and confusing layout of the building made it tiring to find our room. The room and toilet was pretty clean. Very quiet atmosphere. The kitchen was spacious and clean.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My sister and I spent 6 weeks travelling in England and Scotland and this was by far our favorite, most comfortable stay. It's in a beautiful location right on the park (so it's super quiet) and close to the museum, a yoga studio, and some great restaurants (definitely walk down to Stravaigin on Gibson if you want one of the most delicious meals of your life) and coffee shops. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is delicious and generous with a very clean kitchen, should you choose to take advantage of either. The lounge is large and comfortable. The wi-fi is great (but maybe use your own device if you can as their computers freeze here and there). It's a bit of a maze but a lovely place to get lost. We were able to upgrade to a private twin room ensuite for excellent value. It was the comfiest bed I've ever slept in and the room was tidied everyday when we went out. Would highly recommend and definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple