“Lovely people, great location”

Glasgow Youth Hostel
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here for 1 night in April 2014. The hostel is in a lovely old building right on the edge of Kelvingrove Park with great views across the park and the city. (It was especially good because it was warm and sunny when I stayed). The staff and the other guests were very helpful and friendly. There is plenty to see and do within a few minutes’ walk of the hostel. It’s also easy to walk right into the centre of town, although I did take a taxi to come back at night because I wasn’t totally happy to walk back alone.
The thing I liked least was that the toilets and showers were en-suite. I’m sure this sounds good to some people, but it doesn’t work well in a hostel setting with shared rooms. I was the first to wake of six so obviously I didn’t want to disturb them all by having a shower in the room. I had to search the hostel until I found the shower for disabled people 3 floors down. It was good shower though!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Glasgow Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Alice M

thanks so much for your great feedback, we really appreciate it. We think Glasgow Youth Hostel is a magnificent building also and the views and location are one of the best in Glasgow.

All the bedrooms at Glasgow Youth Hostel are ensuite and we are just about completed in upgrading 80% of the shower rooms to make them even better.

I totally understand your comments in regards to sharing in a dorm and not wanting to wake other guests. We are trying hard to please everyone and when we have done a refurbishment at other sites such as Lochranza on Arran and at Oban Youth Hostels we did also put a communal shower on a floor alongside the en-suites. So we are listening to our guests and when we can, funds allowing we do.

Glasgow Youth Hostel does have many private rooms so maybe next time you can try one of these.

Thanks again so much for your review, we really do appreciate it.

Lorna Padden

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed for one night in a dorm and was very happy with how clean and tidy the place was. The building itself has a good 'feel' to it, the lounge is large and comfy, and on the whole it's a nice place to be. It's a short walk to the city, but its location gives it some fantastic views.

As youth hostels and budget travels go, it was pretty good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed at the Glasgow Youth Hostel for 2 nights in January and really enjoyed our stay. We were after somewhere a bit cheaper than your average bed and breakfast. We booked a double room with en-suite it ended up being about half the price of a bed and breakfast.
We arrived before our room was ready so we have 2 hours or so to waste. We decided to walk down to the Kelvingrove Museum, which is at the bottom of the park the hostel overlooks. The park is really nice, great for walking or running around, which we did a few times. The museum is one of my all time favourites and is both a museum and art gallery, and a great place to learn about Scottish history as well as lots more.
Our room at the hostel was nothing fancy, however the bedroom was fairly big, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean and functional. We were on the second floor so the stairs were a struggle with our luggage, but it was good exercise.
The staff were always friendly and helpful, and there was also heaps of information at reception- city guides and maps etc. The hostel offered cooked meals throughout the day which seemed well priced and there was also a kitchen available which we used for breakfast.
One negative was that they didn't have free wifi.
The location is one of the main reasons I recommend this hostel, other than being close to Kelvingrove Museum it is also close to the University, the 'west end' and a short walk into the city center (although I recommend catching a taxi or bus to the hostel when first arriving).
If you're on a budget and want a nice place to stay then this is your place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

A surprisingly pleasant week in this nice area of Glasgow. Cheap parking, comfortable large double room and pleasant staff.
I'm not fond of budget hotels but on a budget this place gave good service.
My only negatives were the ridiculous charges for internet usage - WiFi really should be as much as the service as a bed and shower these days.

All in all the place gave us a warm dry place to stay for a week with pleasant staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ianread
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I booked a room at the Glasgow Youth Hostel last minute as we were coming through to Glasgow for Hogmanay, we were not looking for anything special just somewhere to lay our head and as the reviews on here were good I decided to go ahead and book.

The hostel is about a 20minute walk from Charing Cross Station and is in a nice area. The hostel is basic inside with a reception area, communal lounge and a self catering kitchen. We got our key cards and made our way up to our room, unfortunately it took three attempts to open the room door, my partner sure burned a few calories running up and down the stairs until someone came up to help.

The room itself was very basic but I wasn't expecting anything else. The interior of the room is very worn and dated, there are random pictures placed in strange places but I think this is just to cover up holes in the walls or chipped paint. A lick of paint would do it wonders.The shower room and the bathroom were both clean, as was the bedroom however we found a wasp on the window cill that insinuates that the room hadn't been given a thorough clean in quite a few months considering it was the end of December and the last time I saw one was August! The beds and the pillows were very comfortable so I was looking forward to a good nights sleep after arriving back at the hostel later that night.

Unfortunately I got the worst sleep possible, I was woken from 4.30 right through till check out. The walls are paper thin so you can here everyone coming up the stairs and anyone having a normal conversation in the room next door sounds like they are in the same room. There was a constant drip coming from the shower room that didn't help either. If I had managed to get a decent sleep I would have gave 3* however it seemed impossible with the noise. If you are having a night out in town and just want somewhere to sleep for a reasonable price then I would say stay here, I may return in future if need be.

I'll just make sure I have a good drink in me so I can sleep straight through till morning x

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xscottish-galx
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Hostel was better then I thought it would be. Beautiful property located in a quiet suburb next to a lovely park. However as a solo female I found it quite eerie at night coming from the city centre. Close to supermarket and about 20/25 minute walk from main bus station

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TaraP9
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This hostel isn't central, it is about a 20 - 30 minute walk to central Glasgow. The suburb its in is lovely though with a great big park outside and the views at night are great.

I normally enjoy a hostel vibe but this was drab. The place is clean enough but the rooms are extremely hot. Waking up in the middle of winter sweating hot... which is saying something from an Australian. Also the toilets and showers in the rooms were unpleasant to say the least.

Staff weren't rude but weren't overly helpful either. Wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends