“A pretty enjoyable visit”

Glasgow Youth Hostel
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A pretty enjoyable visit”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hostel is two delightful Victorian buildings combined into one. The vast majority of the staff were very helpful, especially a young dark-haired woman on Reception who carried my case up for me & helped me sort out the bedding. This was important to me as I find things involving manual dexterity extremely difficult. The internet access was very reasonably priced (only £1 for an hour) and I also liked the hot drink & cake deal (£2). I wanted to cater for myself, but I found to my disappointment that they only had gas for cooking and there did not seem to be any grills, so I could not make cheese on toast, which is a favourite of mine. I have never used gas as we don't have it in the flats where I live & so I did not feel comfortable about using it. Otherwise, I had an enjoyable stay, I had a bottom bunk which was great as I have a bad back & it was near the window. Definitely worth a return visit as it borders the picturesque Kelvingrove Park, which I look forward to exploring on a future visit.

Room Tip: Book as far in advance as possible. I booked a year in advance, and so I didn't have to change r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Glasgow Youth Hostel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hugh01962

Thanks so much for your very kind review, we really appreciate you taking the time to post it and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Lorna Padden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The staff was friendly, the cooks were great (stoned most of the time, but great cooks) and the beds were as comfy as a hostel bed can be. There was a plumbing problem (our shower wouldn't shut off) but other than that, a great place in a great neighborhood. Very safe. And beautiful surroundings. Lots of pubs within crawling distance and a gorgeous park across the street.

Stayed July 2014
Mcfearlessness

Thanks for your review, great to read that you enjoyed your stay and we will pass on your feedback to our team.

In terms of your comments about the "Chefs" I think from memory you were part of a large private group who had booked the Youth Hostel for "Private Hire", so the Chefs weren't employees of SYHA, I think they were part of the Private Hire Group.

Thanks though for the review and let us know when you want to come to Scotland again.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our rooms had their own toilet(s) and shower(s), which was very nice. There were towels available for each one. Rooms have view on a park or on the back of other buildlings. It's a very big hostel, so you might walk a lot (of stairs) to your room. Kitchen is down down, and there's a lot of space to cook (not that much sinks).
Staff the days we were there was very friendly.
The lounge is big and has cousy seats.
! In weekends you can park for free, so do not buy the parkingtickets the're selling in the hostel

Hostel is at walking distance to the centre of Glasgow and has a park in front of it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lizzardhuy

Thank You for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at Glasgow Youth Hostel, we really do appreciate you taking the time to do so and will pass on your thanks to our team.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back again soon

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I found this to be a really nice hostel, I liked having an ensuite in my dorm room, as well as in my private room when I transferred. The building itself was really cool, and it was in a great location. I also loved the map I got from the front desk, it was written by locals and hilarious, as well as informative.

The staff were all very nice and friendly. I was a solo traveler looking to make friends and maybe do some group events, and this is not the hostel for that. It was great when I was tired and wanted to sit the (huge) common room and read, but it wasn't very social and definitely not a party hostel. Also, you have to pay per hour of wifi, so if you're without data and rely on wifi this may not be the place for you. Overall the facilities were great, and there was plenty of common space to enjoy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Glasgow Youth Hostel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Vicki112

Thanks for posting your feedback on your recent stay at Glasgow YH, we are happy to read that you were comfortable in both of your rooms and that our staff looked after you.

Wi-fi, we are reviewing this, its not as simple as just making it free, we need to be sure it wont slow our own systems down across Scotland, so we are aware of the issue and its under review but no time frame I am afraid.

We are proud to be a Youth Hostel and not just a Hostel, we have so many different guests of all ages and nationalities so we have to look after everyone, so we do try to not encourage loud music and partys in bars. We are in a quiet residential area with some of the best views in the city, so we hope that our guests who want to party do so in the city which has some of the best bars and nightclubs in the UK and then come back to our Youth Hostel to rest and when they look out over the park the next morning the view is WOW.

Thanks again for your feedback

Reviewed 19 June 2014

SYHA Youth Hostel - 8 Park Terrace, Glasgow G3 6BY, Scotland (West End) - a great location, tops for value, friendly ambience. During our Glasgow visit we, again, opted for this superb hostel we booked a private en suite room with large window overlooking Kelvingrove Park, echoes from Glasgow University’s deep voiced bell marking the hours.
Hostel Staff were cheery, helpful and keen to suggest city walks or arrange taxi cabs, often at special reduced rates! An immaculate basement dining hall serves meals tastefully prepared by resident chef, priced below high street restaurant rates. We opt for breakfast only, taking pub lunches where wanderings find us later in the day. Beer and wines too, also on sale. Beds, narrow, are comfortable - but watch out for reading light fixtures, poorly positioned on headboards just right to bang ones head. Shower immaculate, water pressure superb - bring your own shampoo and soaps. Towels and fresh bed linens are provided. Pay as you go Internet available, specious lounge and TV room on ground floor is ideal for between explorations relaxation..
A scenic walk through Kelvingrove Park’s meandering pathways leads to Glasgow Art Galleries and The Huntarian Museum at the University (both free admission) Nearby Byres Road, the west end’s vibrant boutique, pubs, grocery stores, bookshops Mecca boasts terrific shopping, vintage clothes, thrift shops and more.
Fancy some Glaswegian fare? Greggs Pies - served piping hot at Greggs Bakery are so popular lines form right out the door at lunchtime. Mario’s Restaurant serves best fish and chips, haggis and chips and Italian goodies. Tenannt’s Pub for best prices on pints, whisky’s and wines, goodly pub lunches too.
In short the SYHA Hostel, as in the past, was fun, inexpensive - above all a right friendly retreat after a day of Glasgow adventuring. Be sure to book in advance, especially on holidays and weekends. You do not have to be an SYHA Member, a temporary membership surcharge is well worth it for such admirable digs.
reservations@syha.org.uk

Room Tip: Be sure to book in advance...weeeknds and holidays tend to be full. Ask reception about special taxi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim L
Jim L

Thanks for this really positive review, we love our Grand old Building in the West End of Glasgow and we LOVE GLASGOW.

We thank you for all your comments, the beds are brand new, and we hadnt thought about or had anyone mention the shelves before, we will keep an eye on what you have mentioned and going forward we will feedback the shelf concern to our suppliers for our next bed renewals at one of our many locations in Scotland.

Thank You again, we love good reviews.

Lorna
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have stayed Youth Hostel for 6 nights. It was my first time to travel alone. Youth Hostel definitely gave traveler a very clean environment to live. From bed-sheet to bathroom, not to mention excellent kitchen and public reading room. Staying there, I could appreciate great scene by over viewing the western of Glasgow. Also, Youth hostel's security makes me feel safe and no worry. If I need to conclude one impressive point of Youth Hostel, I may say "People". People I met there made me unforgettable. People I met from staff to roommates and even the stranger passed by, they're all very descent, well-educated and kind. All this together makes Youth Hostel wonderful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 297A_Q
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Glasgow Youth Hostel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
297A_Q

We are so happy to read that you loved our Glasgow Youth Hostel, we love it too. Its a grand old building with some of the best views in the city, so you picked the right place for your 6 night stay.

We have a great team at Glasgow Youth Hostel and I am so glad to hear that you were made to feel welcome by them all.

Thanks so much for the review, and we hope you might return one day.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here mid-October 2013 after a really harrowing day in Glasgow. Was very uncrowded -- my friend K and I were the only people staying in our room, even though it was a dorm. No complaints at all with the hostel. Staff were very friendly, despite our late check-in, and recommended relaxing in the beautiful hostel lounge (with incredibly comfy sofas). There were quite a few books available to read on the hostel bookshelves. Beds were clean and certainly comfortable enough.

My only issue was with the location. Getting there was fine -- we used a taxi -- but we decided to walk into the city centre, and we found the area a bit sketchy. One block away from the hostel, we got leered at by a man who tried to coax us into a fancy car which almost definitely wasn't his. So I can't say I felt especially safe after that. Interestingly enough, there were also about five cats lounging around that street. I nearly tripped over two of them.

Ultimately, a nice, comfortable hostel. But take a taxi to and from.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Libby A

Thanks for the review, we love to hear from happy guests and so glad that you got to hang out in our big lounge and admire the views. Our team at Glasgow also loved reading that you found them all so helpful, we really do pride ourselves on our customer service.

We love the views, the location and our grand old Youth Hostel. The views over Kelvingrove Park are one of the best in our great city. Sorry to hear you felt a little scared when walking into the city, I guess that would be normal in most places that you don't know so well. Glasgow residents are known across the world for their friendly manner, so maybe next time you are back we can help you with directions.

Cats, we are in a residential area, so I can only guess there are a lot of cat owners in the vicinity.

Once again thanks so much for your response.