“Ideal short break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Ideal short break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Stayed here for 1 night and it lived up to our expectations from the reviews. We were a bit apprehensive as our son who works in Glasgow was not too complimentary about the area at night but we had no issues at all. The entrance is through a double door (entrance is via a keypad at night) and then up a lift to 6th floor.Tea/coffee and cakes readily available. Room was on the small side but that was not a negative for us. Room was spotlessly clean and toilet was beautiful. Sky HD TV was a great bonus. All the staff we met were very friendly which means there is a personal touch involved. Breakfast is cooking in a spotlessly clean kitchen with a good selection.
All in all this was a wonderful stay and we would go back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Yeovil, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on business. Right next to Glasgow central station, perfect for shopping, quirky siting on top floor but persevere to find as you won't be disappointed. The most enjoyable 2 nights away, very clean, lovely and comfy, with super friendly staff. The food was delicious and as close to Christmas invited to eat with all of them and other guests which was just like being at home! The room I was in did get a bit chilly which was my only issue, but I would definitely recommend this little gem.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

I had to be in Glasgow for up to 4 days, I had seen the reviews on tripadvisor and the positive experiences of reviewees persuaded me to give the hotel a call.
I rang the number on the website and spoke to the hotel directly not some faceless call centre. Nicole the receptionist listened to my requirements which were somewhat complicated to say the least but she shrugged this off with a warmth which is seldom lacking these days. I arrived at Glasgow Central station and exited by the Union Street steps, I turned right and found the entrance to the hotel after being let in by the buzzer system ( I arrived at 10:30pm) I made my exit on the 6th floor, it was like emerging from Doctor Who's tardis the wooden floors and beautifully decorated corridors guided me to reception. Met with a wonderful smile at reception I was lead after checking my details to my room 624 overlooking Union Street, the bed was huge the shower was amazing I have never seen shower glass so sparkly clean, the television with Sky HD box was magnificent along with a bottle of still and sparkly water and to totally satisfy me a tube of Smarties! After a good nights sleep I jumped in the shower and had an invigorating power shower with quality toiletries. When I emerged I realised there was no hair drier a quick call to reception sorted that a hairdryer was brought to my room. I then
made my way to the kitchen to be met with a spotlessly clean area and I was shown what was available by the lovely friendly lady who was in charge of breakfast. A selection of fruit, juices and breakfast cereals were complimented by a lovely selection of breads and topped off with a wondrous buffet style hot breakfast washed down with a lovely cup of tea. Quality at it's best! After my business for the day was dealt with I returned to the hotel to find three plates of fondant fancy cakes for guests to indulge in after applying the vanishing act to two of them I packed my case and headed for reception. I settled my bill and was thanked for my custom a nice touch but even nicer was the offer to leave my case and pick it up later when my train was due. I left and had a quick look around Glasgow when I returned to pick up my case Nicole was manning reception I was asked how my stay was and whether I had time for a glass of wine before my train was due. I duly obliged and sat and had a delightful glass of wine and a friendly chat. This topped off what had rather been a dour day and sent me on my way with a smile on my face and a spring in my step.
My only regret was not being able to stay for supper which sounded sumptuous.
Give the Grasshoppers Hotel a whirl you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013
8 Thank JohnBrookes5
cambrige
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

We booked this hotel after reading the favourable reviews on Tripadvisor. Our room was very spacious - we booked a triple room with a double and single bed and there was still plenty of room left over. A cot was available as well if needed. The bathroom was very clean and the shower was great - the Arran Aromatics soap and shower gel were lovely. One possible downside is that there was no bath but this wasn't a problem for us.

As others have mentioned the location is great - right next to Central Station and a 5 min walk from the City Centre. Others have mentioned the noise from the station, however our room overlooked the station roof and all we could hear was only a very quiet occasional hum - we couldn't hear the trains at all. The entrance off the street is a little worrying to start with - a door leading into a very narrow lobby with 2 lifts and a set of stairs, however on getting up to the 6th floor, the hotel corridors open out before you. The decor is modern Scandinavian and very clean.

Tea is freely available in the rooms and if you ask for coffee then they bring you freshly ground coffee, fresh milk in a Thermos flask and a plate of cakes. My kind of place!

The staff are very warm and friendly and we were given lots of tips for things to do with our two young boys from the lovely lady at breakfast. Dinner is available Mon - Thurs nights and smelt wonderful, however sadly the 1900 - 2100 service times was a bit late for our young family. There are lots of family friendly restaurants nearby and there is a large well-stocked Co-op supermarket just across the road.

We had a lovely time and would thoroughly recommend Grasshoppers hotel as a place to stay.

Room Tip: The triple size room is very large.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank cairnterrier
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night,but what a perfect find,right in the heart of the city,next to central station.This hotel was spotless clean,very comfy bed,nice fluffy towels,and the best power shower I have had,with plenty hot water.
The staff were very friendly,especially the manager called Shaun who introduced himself and called me by name,he showed me to my room to explain how everything worked,then returned with cakes to go with the tea and coffee already in the room,I especially liked this friendly touch,as I have stayed at hotels in the past where the receptionist did not even raise her head or say hello.Breakfast in the morning was marvellous,the best bacon and sausages we have had,the eggs were made fresh and brought to our table,the staff at breakfast were very helpful and friendly.

We enjoyed our stay here very much,and shall use this hotel again,and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank AliceCorbett
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

A little late writing this review as we stayed in the Grasshopper earlier in December for a work Xmas function. The location is great and the staff very welcoming (coffee and cake on arrival), and the rooms are funky, comfortable and clean.

Unfortunately my wife took ill during our stay and ended up in hospital, so we spent little time in the hotel; however, the staff were extremely helpful throughout and genuinely concerned for her wellbeing - nothing was too much trouble.

Although rushed, I did make it to breakfast alone and I have to say it was 'Just Excellent'. We will definitely be going back to finish what we started early in the New Year.

Would not hesitate recommending this hotel - 5 out of 5!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BruceJDuncan
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

Brilliant stay at the grasshopper hotel!
Excellent location, close to everything. Our room overlooked the station but we couldn't hear a peep and got a brilliant nights sleep.
The room was clean and stylish with a cute little pod bathroom. The rooms are cosy, we think good things come in small packages. The bed super comfy, the staff are wonderful, everything we asked for they got for us straight away, with extra little touches like fresh coffe and caffetiere in the room and when we asked for milk they gave us little cakes to. Sky box in the room also which was nice to have along with free wi fi.
Fab breakfast and on New Year's Day they were really relaxed about our check out time!
We will defiantly be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple