“Friendly homely atmosphere. Great staff and location :)”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I'd picked Grasshoppers after reading good reviews on here and decided it was great for a couple of days break and something different to do during my holidays other than sitting at home!
It was really easy to find (do google maps if your not too sure like I did!) and once in the hotel I was made to feel very welcome and the staff were very helpful and genuine. I had booked a single room but once I got there I had been moved into a double room for the same price which was a nice surprise! I was shown around where breakfast and dinners would be and into my room. The room was lovely, very cosy & homely with great decor.
For me it was a great location as it only took 5/10 minutes to get to Buchanan Street and I also met a friend at Central Station which was just round the corner!

All in all I would most deffo pick this hotel to stay in Glasgow as it's really central to all the shops, transport, restaurants etc and great value for money as well. I will deffo be back! :)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Chose this hotel having read the reviews on trip advisor and wasn't disappointed. Very conveniently situated it was a great location from which to explore the city for the first time. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Rooms clean and comfortable with all that was needed for a weekend break. The street outside and the ground floor reception area was a little off putting but once on the hotel floor everything was fine.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2013

the hotel is minimalistic but with everything needed for a short break. Bed comfortable and staff excellent. Breakfast in very good in a basic kitchen but was very very clean and very enjoyable. Lovely fleshly baked bread and cupcakes too. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

When I leave a review here I like to look back at what other guests have experienced. As you will see the general consensus is 'Very Good' or 'Excellent' and I can't disagree with that. For those that gave poor reviews I can only say DO YOUR RESEARCH. The main complaints seem to be about the noise, lack of parking, the size and/or facilities in the room, difficulty finding it & the shady entrance. The first two are really quite easy to answer - this is a city centre hotel sandwiched between a main railway station and a busy road so it won't be quiet and on-site or local parking is unlikely. Having said that we were not disturbed by any undue noise on the 2 nights we stayed and we would not have dreamed of bringing the car. The rooms are very clearly described and, while minimal, are perfectly adequate for most. After all a good bed, an excellent shower and a good strong, reliable wi-fi signal are really all anyone needs. I'm not sure how anyone could miss the huge sign outside the hotel (look up?) but have to agree that the first impression of the entrance is disappointing.There are some niggles also about the rooms being too hot or too cold - our room was cool & comfortable and had both a fan & a heater so I can't see that being a problem. The price - in my opinion and in comparison with what else was on offer this was excellent value. Finally it is clear that the owner, the manager & the staff really care and want this hotel to be special - many early complaints are now dealt with.

Where the Grasshopper Hotel wins, over and above the great location and good rooms, is the whole experience. From the initial booking, where we had a small issue that was promptly resolved, it was clear that Grasshopper is trying to do something a little bit different. The cup cakes and fresh milk & coffee delivered to the room on arrival have been mentioned severally before - the meal deal is great too. A warm friendly dining room with a small but excellent menu and short but very good wine list only covers the facts - what I found really encouraging was the friendliness & the standing invitation not to dine alone (which could be ignored of course). The review by HanLH, who was there when we were, sums up the impact on a lone traveller of having a friendly welcome and others also joined in the convivial chat with the owner.

My only regret is that during my working years (I am recently retired) there wasn't anywhere like Grasshopper. Which is a little ironic - battered by many dreadful hotel experiences me & my friend and former work colleague Hugh once dreamed up the ideal place to stay if forced to do so on business. Largely it came down to 'somewhere nice to sleep' and 'something nice to eat' Grasshopper does both of those and wraps it in a warm & friendly atmosphere.

Will I stay again - certainly, would I recommend it - definitely. Hotels like Grasshopper, while I can see they would not appeal to everybody (no hotel can), should be encouraged for putting the customer at the heart of the operation.

Room Tip: Make time to dine & go for a larger room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank panda54
Reviewed 16 March 2013

A welcoming hotel full of personal touches including tea, coffee & cupcake on arrival, it's the little things about this hotel that make it so appealing.
In a perfectly convenient location positioned behind Glasgow Central Train station on the 6th floor.
Travelling alone on business, I stayed for one night in this hwould ur I wish I could have stayed longer. What most impressed me was the warmth of the other guests and the hotels owner who was dining in the restaurant when arrived to eat. I was immediately made to feel extremely welcome and was encouraged to join a table with some other hotel guests as I was travelling alone. The restaurant, named 'The Kitchen' offered up a wonderful 3 course meal which was of top restaurant quality.
Anyone wishing to stay in a hotel that cares about its guests and strives to give a personal experience then you must visit Grasshoppers!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 15 March 2013

...really good. Definitely our hotel of choice from now on when visiting Glasgow. Nice feel about it, staff couldn't be more helpful - thank you! Breakfast was great, location was perfect and the price too - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Get the station side
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug M
Reviewed 15 March 2013

this is a nice friendly boutique hotel. rooms are good, not luxurious. Staff are great. the best thing is that on the two days i was there, there was home made cake around both afternoons. and really nice it was too!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business