Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Agoda.com
US$115
US$111
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$113
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
1,254 results
All reviewscupcakesunion streetcup cakesglass rooffresh milkcentral stationground coffeecaledonian chambersoffice buildingceiling fanhome made ice creamsky boxarran aromaticssitting roomstation rooflittle touchestop floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

It's hard to think of anything negative to say about Grasshopper's. It's as central as it is possible to be and everything about the place is clean and fresh. Check-in is quick and efficient and everyone is friendly and helpful.

The breakfast room might be a cramped affair, but we discovered that if you sit at the table next to the door you don't feel quite so hemmed in! It only took as five stays to discover that.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel advertises itself as a "luxury" hotel but unfortunately failed to deliver properly on the basics. It wasn't clean, the shower had hairs in it, the back of the sliding door was quite dirty (seemed like the bathroom was only ever cleaned with the door open), the kettle was very dusty. It was noisy. I didn't find noise from the station a big issue (although there was some noise), mainly the problem was from within the hotel. We could hear the couple in the next room talking, all the noise from people walking and talking in the corridor, and I was woken every time the loud phone in reception rang (starting from 6am)...Also there was no water in the hotel from 6.30pm until after midnight so we couldn't wash or use the toilet. On enquiring we were told the problem was only with hot water, but we had absolutely no water from either tap and the toilet wouldn't flush. Eventually bottled water was provided but we didn't get any apology even when we asked for a discount the next morning (they did give us a small discount but again no apology for the disruption).
Some other niggles - the "large" double was on the smaller side for a double room - no wardrobe, just two hooks on the wall, tiny bathroom which was in a wooden pod in the room (thin sliding wooden door which didn't offer a lot of privacy), the only place to hang your towel is inside the shower. They advertise the place as having custom-made furniture and I feel this is mainly because the rooms are too small to fit non-fitted furniture.
The whole place is *very* nicely designed and furnished, the bed was comfy and the breakfast was tasty but we didn't see any of the added extras like cakes or shortbread that other reviews mention. The smarties in the room were a nice touch but I wish I had booked the Premier Inn at less than half the price (where I stayed last weekend) and bought my own smarties. At least there I got a good night's sleep and was able to use the bathroom.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank sunstarrr
Grasshoppersglasgow, Owner at Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Clearly you did not enjoy your stay. The water board turned off the water without notice to us which was extremely inconvenient for us all. We hate hearing that the room was not properly prepared for your visit and we are embarrassed by this. This rarely happens as you will see from other reviews. We have never had a complaint of noise from other rooms in over 20,000 stays and we will look into this. Our customer service was poor in not recognizing the problems you faced and we should have reacted better and with more generosity. Do call us and we will apologize to you in person and tell you what we have in mind.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

opportunity to stay over as we were attending a party and combined that with my birthday. hubby likes to always find different places for us to stay and this was first class. from the minute we arrived we were treated like royalty, everyone is so friendly and go out of their way to make you feel special.
we opted for the slightly larger room and our view was the rooftop of central station: you would think you'd hear the trains but no, completely silent. the rooms were immaculate and everything you need with nice treats and cakes and refreshments.
bed was very comfy with crisp cotton sheets and towels fluffy. breakfast was delicious, fresh and a homely feel of being in someones kitchen. we didn't stay for dinner but will next time. you will not get ripped off here which makes a great change over the souless, corporate hotels.
staff should be very proud of what they are doing, this is my new favourite and we will definately come back. i hestitated writing this as I wanted to keep it a secret.

Room Tip: recommend upgrade to larger room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The grasshopper hotel was a great place to stay. The 24 hour staff was very friendly and helpful. Everything was very clean and fresh. There were cookies and cupcakes there to greet us! A lovely breakfast is served each morning with both hot and cold foods. Location is also great..highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I must say that I love this hotel. I am a seasoned traveller and have had all manner of rooms, but this one was perfect for what I needed on this trip: clean, friendly, chic and centrally located. The staff is incredibly helpful and very nice, and the breakfast is great! I am betting that the dinners are equally excellent, but did not have the chance to try them.

Breakfasts: lovely homemade brown bread, a variety of cereals, fruit, yogurt, and some hot items like eggs, sausage and tomatoes. Lovely coffee and juices as well. All and all, quite excellent and included in the price. Double :-)

Rooms: So cute. Each room is different, and done in a european modern motif. I stayed in the one with orange wallpaper. The bed is a little stiff, but if you like firm mattresses, it is great. The room is bright and welcoming, and clean as a whistle. In fact, the whole hotel is very clean and has a nice clean smell throughout. Very, very pleasant. The bathroom is small, but has everything you need. No tub, just a shower, but the shower head has great pressure and is all new and, again, very clean. Each room has tea and a kettle, and if you ask they'll bring you fresh ground coffee and milk (with a shortbread cookie!) Also, I noticed today there are very delicious looking cup cakes when you first enter the lobby... :-)

Staff: very helpful and friendly. I needed to book in early, and they accommodated me with no fuss. I did request this ahead of time, so be polite if you need to do so and I'm sure they will help you out.

Location: If you are traveling by train this is great. It is right next to the main central train station (1 minute walk?), or if you want to be in the city center it is right here as well. I came in for work related things at the University of Glasgow, and that was about a 5-10 minute cab ride to the University (about 5-6 quid one way). There is a taxi stand right around the corner from the hotel, which made flagging one down no problem. You might miss the entrance to the hotel if you aren't looking right. Look for the sign posted up on the side of the building. It is a red flag, and not posted on the small inconspicuous door. The hotel is actually on the 6th floor of the Chambers building, and so not immediately apparent.

Cons: I stayed in a room facing the main street (Union) and it is a bit noisy. If you are looking for absolutely no noise, this is not your place. If you are used to urban traffic noise, no problem. I tune that part out. The only thing that was slightly irritating was the 2-3 AM bar crowd. Last evening there was a variety of rowdy drunk Scotsman doing all manner of things on the street below. It sounded like they were in the room with me, and not 6 floors down. Hoping tonight is better, but doubt it as it is Friday...

I would also say that if you have kids this is probably not the best hotel for you. There is no pool or anything like that, and as the rooms are a bit small, if you need a pack n' play or bassinet or something, it will be a tight squeeze. Also since the bathroom is a bit small, that could also be an issue for a family. But couples and singles would be great, and a friend of mine is staying in another room down the hall so I'd recommend "friends" as well. Also the noise from the street or general location might be a bit much for small kids.

All in all I give it a 4 because of the noise, if there wasn't the noise, it would be a 5. Great hotel for the money, nice little touches (coffee, water, sweets), great breakfast and friendly staff. Plus it smells heavenly.

Room Tip: Ask to be in one of the rooms at the back of the building, not facing the main road. This will help with the noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends