“For the Personal Touch”

Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“For the Personal Touch”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My first stay at the Grasshopper. It is in a good central location,right near the Glasgow Central Railway Station, which also means its near to that Stations taxi rank.
Nice room with good views as the hotel is on the 6th floor. Good breakfast with fresh cooked items if one wishes.
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Ontario
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Grasshoppers is located on Union Street a few doors down from the Union Street exit of the Central Line train station. There is no great hotel front, just a flag so keep a look out for it. You must buzz the hotel if the door is closed. They will give you the number to gain entry. You must then go to the elevator and go to the 6th floor as the hotel has taken the top floor.

The lobby is to your left, a small room, no great desk. This is also where you will be leaving your luggage if you need to.

The rooms are large with a comfortable bed though the other seating is not comfortable and there is no where to work. The bathrooms are modern with toiletries. There is no hair dryer and if you want one you will have to ask at the desk. They will take this out of the room when they clean it. There are tea/coffee making facilities.

Breakfast was very good. There is a selection of cold items and a hot plate with hot food as well. If you wish dinner please let them know ahead of time and they will have dinner for you as well (we did not eat here but the menu looked good.)

They offer a laundry service, deliver before 8am. (did not use the service) The wifi was not good. It was very weak or nonexistent so it was rather frustrating. There was a lot of road noise as well. I am not sure what the other side is like as the hotel overlooks the glass roof of the train station. The hallway was noisy but you could not hear anything from the next door rooms. The linen was left in large service bags in the back hallway. I am not sure if they are always there but as there seems to be very limited space it would not surprise me.There is no view from the windows as the hotel is located on the top floor and a wall blocks the view.

The hotel itself is located very close to the pedestrian shopping area as well as restaurants so it is a great location. There is a small grocery convenience store across the road. It is walking distance to Queen Street Station and the Glasgow Hop on Hop off bus.

Room Tip: Front of hotel has a lot of road noise but not sure if back of hotel is any better as it overlooks t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel was the perfect end to the perfect day. My fiance and I stayed here. Finding the hotel from the street was difficult but once we found it, it was straight up to the 6th floor, and greeted by the receptionist who was smiley throughout the check in, and showed us to our room. We were offered fresh milk to allow us to make teas and coffees in the room. When the receptionist returned to the room with the milk she had two cupcakes for us. The room itself was nice and spacious, and i liked the way the bathroom isn't just an extra room, its a room within the room. The breakfast was good, as you could help yourself to as much as little as you wished, and there was something there for everyone.
Definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone needing something in the city centre.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

this is the second time I have stayed at this hidden gem of a hotel. Hidden because it is on level 6 of a building adjoining Glasgow Central station. Immaculate styling. Lovely breakfast. great staff. great location. everything is classy. If you want a city centre haven this is the hotel for you. Includes little extras like homemade cups cakes. A lovely sitting room. Lovely art work throughout. I found it hard to check out and come home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Its difficult to find at first as its actually on the 6th floor of a very large building.You have to keep looking UPWARDS when you are walking along Union Street,and you will see The Grasshoppers flag flying,however where is the entrance? There is no hotel entrance as such. The hotel is entered through the Caledonian Chambers door then the lift to the 6th floor.
After I had checked in I was invited to select a cupcake from the display table,before being escorted to my room by one of the many friendly staff who work here.On entering the room together I was introduced to my own personal Sky+ HD box with a HD widescreen TV.{It looked to be about 28"} I just didn't know what to say! Never in all my years of travelling have I ever seen anything quite like this.It was a lovely touch I thought.The full package is there which includes Sky movies and sports.However I wasn't in Glasgow to sit and watch TV so I only made use of Sky to watch the news as I got ready to go out for the evening.
The room I had was shaped like the letter U which is very unusual for a hotel.It was very basic with polished wooden floors,a plastic chair,and a plain unpolished wooden table for the Sky box and TV set,however the room was comfortable throughout.The bed was very comfortable with 4 soft pillows.The Bathroom was very small,like a little box,but it was spotlessly clean.The only disappointment that I had with the bathroom was that there were no shaving points available.I looked everywhere!!.
The one and only disappointment I had with the bedroom was that it had no hairdryer.Now it must be years since I last stayed in a hotel room with no hairdryer available,but I just could not locate one anywhere.I had no option but to use a towel to dry my hair after a shampoo,so if the reader is planning on staying or booking a room then please take note.
There is no doubt that this hotel caters very well for the business community.Besides having Wi-Fi in my room I could see that it also has wired internet as well + an additional 3 sockets for 3 more laptops.I am not a businessman but I was very impressed with this as it would enable a party of visiting business people to get together to confer after office hours.
The kitchen area for breakfast is very small with just a few tables but its a real "make yourself at home" place.An invitation was extended to me to come into the kitchen anytime I wanted milk from the fridge to make tea in my room,or if I wanted to cook something in the microwave.I didn't
stay for breakfast for the 1 morning I was there as I was checking out early,but I could see that the cook was busy when I was leaving.
This is a clean well run business and the management are to be congratulated for the way they run it.The only fault I could find was a lack of signage in the hotels only 2 corridors.Going out for the 1 evening I was there,I got "lost" a little and pushed open an internal door,thinking it was an exit.I was horrified out of my mind when the intruder alarm went off,but thankfully staff manning the desk soon had it sorted.I would respectfully suggest that a notice be put on this glass door : "No entry.Staff members only"..........after all I MIGHT return one day!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Connecticut
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Glasgow is wriggling its way back to attention through the arts, a lively nightlife and its cultural and historical scene which endures the collapse of a lot of the old city's economy. The Grasshoppers Hotel makes a terrific place from which to explore the town.
Located within feet of the railroad station, you just tumble off the train into the hotel. It takes just minutes to get there. You might imagine that such a locale could be noisy or inconvenient but not so. The shops and restaurants nearby are handy and there was no noise or disruptions from either the street or the train station to disturb our rest.
The rates are very reasonable and the food is terrific -- free breakfast, of course, and dinner if you want to eat there. (You have to tell them in advance you're coming.) Everyone was helpful and professional and added to the good experience.
We liked Glasgow a lot, and the Grasshoppers helped make that happen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
birmingham england
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel provides a snug stay by Glasgow Central station. Our compact room was clean, well equipped with a fine view of the City roofs. The bed was firm and comfortable. The free wifi was unproblematic and good coffee and bread came with a range of cooked and uncooked breakfast choices. The TV proved a challenge, despite the two remote controls and the detailed written instructions we couldn't get it going. The staff are friendly and give the impression that nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends