“A hidden gem in the heart of Glasgow”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“A hidden gem in the heart of Glasgow”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This place is just lovely. Accessed through a door on Union St (right near Central Station), this hotel is delightful.

Rooms are modern, very clean and stylishly decorated and the staff (especially the Irish manager) are over the top accommodating.

Compared to the Ibis/ Jurys/ Travelodge/ cardboard cut out hotels out there - The Grasshopper is a real experience. Top marks.

Room Tip: Ask for one that backs on to Central Station.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank redleader333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed for one night with my son whilst visiting Strathclyde University. I knew that the hotel was located in an office block, but still managed to walk past it, so you need to look out for the entrance
to Caledonian Chambers and take the lift to the 6th floor. I arrived very early and although my room wasn't ready, I was allowed to wait in the lounge to rest and to charge my phone, which was much appreciated. I was also offered refreshments whilst waiting. I had a twin room which was large enough. Very clean with tea and coffee facilities and a couple of cupcakes which were delicious. The room did not have air conditioning but a large ceiling fan and with the window open kept us just right. The view was over the city but was obscured slightly by the parapet which was a shame. There was also no room safe. The breakfast was in the 'kitchen' and was included within our rate. This was a buffet style breakfast with limited cereals, fruit juices and cooked items. Internet connection during our stay in room 630 was non existent and to check e-mails etc I had to sit in the lounge. All in all a very nice place to stay in a good location. I would definitely stay again providing the price was right.

Room Tip: Room 630 very limited or no internet connection during my stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bubbles26
Armagh, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at Grasshoppers Hotel recently during a short trip to Glasgow. Trip Advisor Reviews are very accurate because we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this excellent little hotel.

The Manager Sean and his wife administer a top class hotel. Breakfast is excellent and plentiful while the iconic ‘cup cakes’ are a pleasant (if calorie-laden) bonus! Rooms are superb, conducive to comfortable sleep, spotlessly clean and well-serviced.

Competitive rates, free wifi and an excellent central location render Grasshoppers an exceptionally desirable location for leisure/business visitors to Glasgow.

We visited some excellent, reasonably priced restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, including Carluccios (West Nile Street) and Café Andaluz (St Vincent Place) – great tapas! If you’re thirsty (or hungry), ‘The Counting House’ (adjacent to George Square) serves great beer and food in marvellous surroundings.

Well done Grasshoppers – we would highly commend and recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank okiefrommuskogee
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Without the Flag flying above the door, you would not know that there was Hotel situated at the Top Floor of an Office Building next to Central Station. After getting out of the lift on the 6th Floor you can tell you are in a comfortable and bright Hotel with a tray of Cup Cakes to welcome you. The Rooms are quite small and do not have Air Conditioning although a giant Ceiling Fan does tend to cool you down and keep any stale air moving around. Apart from the size, the room is quite nicely presented with a lovely Bathroom and Shower, a very comfortable Bed, a decent TV and the necessary Tea and Coffee facilities.

There is no restaurant as such, but they do have a dining and servery area where you can help yourself to using the kitchen facilities and according to certain posters around the place, they do have Supper evenings.

Breakfast was not too bad with attentive service and a reasonable selection of Hot and Cold foods including Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Sausage and Beans.

This is a Budget Hotel so don't expect luxury but compared with the likes of Holiday Inn Express and Qbic, this Hotel wins hands down.

Location: 4
Soundproofing: 4
Food: 3

Through the secret door - hop to the 6th
A little gem awaits
Straight to your room - friendly welcome in
Two little cupcakes awaits
Lovely stylish room - made a comfy night
A ceiling fan awaits
Freshly ground coffee - nothing is too much
A great breakfast awaits
Gem next to Glasgow Central - returning a must
A spotless little place awaits

© Paula Jubilee

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Station are probably quieter than the Front
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy G
Manchester
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved this hotel!

It is on the 6th floor of an office building and we did walk past it at first as it's a small door next to the station which is easy to miss...but it was a haven when we got upstairs!

We were early but the lady on reception went to see if she could let us check in and our room was ready so it was a bonus to get in there so quickly! The staff were so helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and valued.

As others have said, there are cup cakes to help yourself to as well as various other treats which we thought was such a lovely touch.

I'd called ahead to enquire about parking and was given the post code for sat nav for the local NCP on Jamaica street. This is above Matalan and the hotel will validate your ticket so it only costs £6 for 24 hours which I thought was brilliant for a city centre.

The rooms themselves are quite small with only a shower, no bath, in the bathroom. We had a ceiling fan which was definitely needed as it was very warm (but fine with the fan on) and looked out over the roof of the station so there was no street noise.

We had decided to chance having no dinner reservation even though it was a Saturday night and the book in the room recommended a couple of places. One of these was Cail Bruich and the receptionist kindly made a reservation for us. She also gave us a map and told us how to get there on the subway. All brilliant and the restaurant was amazing!!

Only minor gripe was an issue with the toilet flush breaking on the morning of our stay - but it was just a glitch and the receptionist came over to sort it immediately.

Breakfast in "the kitchen" was opposite our room so we awoke to the smell of bacon cooking. Yum yum! Breakfast was a help yourself affair with continental and cooked items available. I missed mushrooms and beans which we're not readily available but I'm sure had I asked they would have sorted some for me.

All in all my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at grasshoppers and will definitely stay here again as a first choice if we ever stay in Glasgow again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank holidaymonster83
Onchan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I love staying in penthouses but his hotel is probably one of Glasgow's best kept penthouse secrets. It's based in the Caledonian Chambers, on Union Street, on the sixth floor, and the first thing that hit me when I walked in, was it's appealing surroundings. It felt like I was walking into a nicely decorated, every so Scandinavian style house, not a hotel. The rooms have high ceilings and have ample space. They have added a SkyPlus box in every room as standard, with movies and sport (if you fancy staying in that is). They have a lounge with fully stocked fridges with a variety of beverages and laptops available. There is also on tap freshly ground coffee and various cup cakes and delights going. The 'Kitchen' is where you have breakfast and where they serve a different three course meal every night. Everything is delicious. Breakfast is included in the price, dinner is optional. Bottled water is free and so is the Wifi. I felt quite at home. Ceiling fans and modern decor throughout the rooms - fantastic. The only gripe (not that I really want to have one, and not that they can do a lot about it) is the street noise. You have to accept that you are in the city and the original sash windows are not going to keep out street noise which starts early and ends late so that's just one thing you need to be aware of. Otherwise it's a five stars from me. You've done an incredible job of this hotel guys. Congratulations! I'll be back.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kiwigirluk2011
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night - very nice hotel, friendly staff. The room was very stylish and despite the location (next to the central station) it was very quiet. We would return immediately. Try the cupcakes.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family