“A surprise, last minute booking”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Changes towards the end of our trip made it necessary to book a last minute hotel in Glasgow. We wanted something close to the train station and chose the Grasshopper, both for price and location. We weren't too sure as we walked through the lobby, but once up at the hotel level, we were greeted by fresh cupcakes, very cordial and helpful staff and a clean spacious room.
Honestly, the only downside were the lack of air conditioning and the barn door on the bathroom.
Loved, loved the staff!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We like to vary or holiday destination so decided on a week in Glasgow (pre Commonwealth Games). Grasshopper sounded good so we booked. The hotel is definitely something different. The entrance is shared with a variety of businesses including Network Rail and Virgin Trains possibly due to the fact it's at the side of Central Station. The hotel is on the 6th floor so well away from the daily comings and goings of other staff in the building. The staff go out their way to be helpful. If you're not sure what to do or where to go they'll have more than one suggestion for you.
We ate in at the evening a couple of times. Food was great, atmosphere very cosy and friendly. The Grasshopper is a real change from the norm and when we return to Glasgow we will return to the Grasshopper definitely.

Room Tip: It's all good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Loved this hotel. Very warm and friendly service, gorgeous rooms and perfectly central location. Loved all the personal touches, like leaving cupcakes and wine out for guests. Great city views, amazing pantry style breakfast in the kitchen. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a quirky little modern hotel in the center of Glasgow that gets just about everything right. Staff are attentive, knowledgeable, and incredibly hospitable. They really go the extra mile to ensure a good stay, right down to staging themed game nights in the hotel corridors to go along with the Commonwealth Games. The bed was very comfortable, plenty of pillows, and the bathroom was clean. The room had those extra little details I love that are often overlooked, like being able to turn off the room lights and control the fan settings without leaving bed. Breakfast was good and the hours for coming down to eat were generous. The room space might be considered small for luxury/boutique hotels, but we didn't come to Glasgow to stay in the room all day and we found it to be just fine.

Other reviewers mentioned the place is hard to find - really pay attention to the signs on the buildings because this hotel is on the 6th floor of the Caledonian Chambers building, but they do have a sign hanging over the sidewalk off the building. Also, try to get a room that isn't facing Union St. unless you don't have issues sleeping through the noise that sometimes accompanies groups leaving clubs at 3 am.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that isn't facing Union St. unless you don't have issues sleeping through...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Newtstein
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We booked a hotel ad random in Glasgow not knowing what to expect.
And what a fantastic experience we had at the Glasshopper Hotel.
I phone to know if there was availability in the hotel.I needed a twin room. Unfortunately there were only to singles or a double.I told the receptionist I would think about it. When I phoned back to book a room, the receptionist, had phoned meanwhile for me to another
client, which was alone and had a twin, if he was okay to change room to a double, so I could have the twin. Which was okay for this guest.
I thought this is so pro-active and felt so much that he took care of me. I was touched by his care.
Once we arrived, it felt like coming home. Not only Sean the reception manager but also the ladies serving the breakfast.
Thank you for your care, love and hospitality.

By the way the room are very comfortable and nicely decorated as well ( ha ha )

2  Thank Annadebie
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This place is just lovely. Accessed through a door on Union St (right near Central Station), this hotel is delightful.

Rooms are modern, very clean and stylishly decorated and the staff (especially the Irish manager) are over the top accommodating.

Compared to the Ibis/ Jurys/ Travelodge/ cardboard cut out hotels out there - The Grasshopper is a real experience. Top marks.

Room Tip: Ask for one that backs on to Central Station.
1  Thank redleader333
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed for one night with my son whilst visiting Strathclyde University. I knew that the hotel was located in an office block, but still managed to walk past it, so you need to look out for the entrance
to Caledonian Chambers and take the lift to the 6th floor. I arrived very early and although my room wasn't ready, I was allowed to wait in the lounge to rest and to charge my phone, which was much appreciated. I was also offered refreshments whilst waiting. I had a twin room which was large enough. Very clean with tea and coffee facilities and a couple of cupcakes which were delicious. The room did not have air conditioning but a large ceiling fan and with the window open kept us just right. The view was over the city but was obscured slightly by the parapet which was a shame. There was also no room safe. The breakfast was in the 'kitchen' and was included within our rate. This was a buffet style breakfast with limited cereals, fruit juices and cooked items. Internet connection during our stay in room 630 was non existent and to check e-mails etc I had to sit in the lounge. All in all a very nice place to stay in a good location. I would definitely stay again providing the price was right.

Room Tip: Room 630 very limited or no internet connection during my stay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family