“Terrible Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hillhead Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glasgow
Hillhead Hotel
Ranked #37 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Falkirk
“Terrible Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2008

What can I say.........

The hotel is probably the worst I have stayed in ever..............

The hotel was very scruffy and we had a room on the top floor.

I asked about the free parking and I was directed to the back of the building where I couldn't get into the car park as the small car park is on a steep slop that probably a 4x4 can get into without damaging the front of their car.

I just don't have anything positive to say about our experience.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Dave_and_Sue_Rogers

Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

I stayed two nights here recently. I had no complaints about the room itself - it was fine, clean and importantly quiet at night. So, as my main reason for staying was simply somewhere to sleep, it was OK. On the first morning, however, I went for breakfast and it was appalling. There was only one table occupied when I went in, yet none of the tables were cleaned. Even when I sat at the one side of a table that had not been used, the side that had been was still not cleared. I asked for sausage, bacon and egg, and when I was not asked if I wanted beans and tomato etc with that, I assumed they would come anyway, as they were stated on the menu. Wrong. Then I heard the microwave going, and the one cheap sausage, one hard rasher of bacon, and one excuse for an egg with no yolk that turned up really was dreadful. I did not see the girl again after she served it, and she managed the whole process without speaking a single word to me. I did not go for breakfast on the second morning. The lack of courtesy extended to the woman who appeared to be in charged too, both on arrival and departure.

Overall, room only was fine, everything else pretty awful. Bear that in mind when comparing prices.

• Liked — Room itself was decent, location.
  • Disliked — Appalling breakfast. Rude, ignorant staff.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndyL30

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2008

i have not had to experiance this hotel and reading some of the reviews i'm most thankful of that i called this hotel to make some enquiries about this so called hotel and the so called manager is in need of training in dealing with the public she was abrupt and would not give any information that i asked even a simple request as to the contact name of the manager or owner was not given the women was abrupt aggresive and very unhelpful she should remember its a hotel she is running and not a secret society!!!!!!!. maybe calling some other hotels within this region to see how a customer should be greated and dealt with would be an idea for the future,

Stayed June 2008
4 Thank del9Glasgow
aberdeenshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2008

The hotel and room was very basic.

When I rang the bell to check in the man who I presume was the owner answered the door wearing scruffy shirt, trousers and bare feet.

Not a very nice first impression.

The fun started at breakfast. A group of ladies at the next table had just been told by the same man that they had to pay £10 for breakfast as they were on a cheaper rate. One lady got a plate of porridge that looked horrid and could not eat it. While I was waiting for my cooked breakfast I noticed the toast I received earlier was covered in mould. I showed it to the ladies at the next table who discovered theirs was the same. When challanged the man was adament the bread was delivered that morning and showed us the expiry date on the bread packet. The ladies all walked out refusing to pay the extra as they were all disgusted. He never even offered to repace the toast with fresh. He was also cooking breakfast with the same scruffy clothes and not even an apron on.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank daytripper066
everton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2007

DO NOT stay at this hotel it was the worst thing i could have done the staff also told me i could park outside the hotel and when i did i got a parking ticket,when i spoke to the hotel manager he said "if i told you to jump over a cliff would you do that" i was furious.i had already paid cash for one more nights stay after the way we were treated and the attitude ov the staff and the manager i asked for my money back for the last night he refused, after alot ov shouting and insults from the manager the police were called and the conclusion was we got as check for the last night which meant we had to go home a day early as we wouldnt get our money for 7 days this is not a place i would EVER EVER stay again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — manager
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank shelima
liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2007

I recently had the misfortune to stay in the Hillhead Hotel, the worst B&B I have ever encountered! Upon arrival I was greated by an over worked foul mouthed employee, whom I later witnessed taking a delivery of narcotics (speed, she informed me, so she could cope with her work load). This woman was rude and abrupt, swearing at fellow guest for arrriving for breakfast at 10 minutes to 9 - breakfast is served til 9am but she apparently expected everyone to be there by 8am. This same woman informed a member of my party that there was free parking in front of the hotel over the weekend, and directed her car into a free space. This turned out to be untrue and my friend was given a £30 fine, which the hotel refused to accept responsibility for. The management / owners themselves were also rude and unhelpful, caring only on saving money - insisting that as the shower was broken in our room it was ok for us 4 girls to share a shower with the 2 men in the room next door. If we had wanted to stay in a hostel, we would have - and for a fracton of the price! On our arrival we had joked that the place looked like Faulty Towers, how true it turned out to be! I would not reccomend this place to anyone planning on visiting Glasgow.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank unhappy_camper07
Aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2007

Booked the Hillhead Hotel at fairly last minute. First the positive comments. The hotel is ideally placed for the West End of Glasgow with good links to the centre of Glasgow by the underground. Good for visiting the Botanic Gardens, Kelvingrove Museum etc. and lots of nice eateries in the area. Ideal if you are visiting someone attending Glasgow University. Cecil Street is a one-way street which makes it quiet in the evenings. There is a mixture of Residents' Only parking and pay and display. The hotel has a small carpark at the rear which is handy if there is a space available, though should not be relied upon. We booked a family room with en-suite bathroom which was adequate for our needs, a double and twin beds with a TV and kettle - the room was clean and had been freshly decorated. However, I would say that everything seemed to have been done on the cheap. The furnishings were cheap and had seen better days. The water inlet to the WC was leaking and the toilet brush holder had been positioning underneath to catch the drips. The cold water tap on the sink was not working properly and it was difficult to get sufficient water to brush your teeth. The instant shower did not appear to have been installed properly and the heating dial did not seem to correspond to how hot the water became - watch out if you have small children. The breakfast was adequate if not very inspiring and the service from the breakfast staff was very abrupt. Would stay here again if I was stuck but will try elsewhere first!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to detail and rude breakfast staff
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family