“Tartans and turrets”

Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Nantwich, Cheshire
“Tartans and turrets”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

A fairy tale experience having a bedroom in the turret, even though I needed a hand up the twisty stairs with the luggage, which was freely and pleasantly offered unasked. A friend commented that I just needed the long hair to go with the tower room!
A warm welcome, ample parking, wood panelling, a baronial staircase to float down to dinner..... what more could a girl want? The bar was well stocked and dinner served beautifully.
This hotel is easy to find in a quiet well wooded part of the city close to several parks, south of the river and near enough to the motorway network to make it an ideal stopping off point on my trip to the highlands of Scotland. However I enjoyed my stay so much I think I just might go back and use it as a base to explore the city. There seems to be an adequate local transport service to make it possible to travel to Glasgow by train using a taxi for the short ride out to Pollockshields and the local bus for excursions. Watch this space!

Room Tip: The turret rooms are good for single travellers, but may be a wee bit on the small side for couples...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

First time back since our wedding there 3 years ago and it's still just as good, a few familiar faces. The service, food and rooms are still brilliant. Staff even recognised us and gave us a bottle of wine with dinner. Great place.

• Stayed June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My sisters wedding was held in the Sherbrooke on Saturday and I was overwhelmed with the services provided from all staff. Everything was perfect and nothing was a hassle. William and Sarah Jane made this experience for our whole family perfect. The rooms were also beautiful and spotless. The food was amazing from the breakfast to the dinner at the wedding.

I would recommend for anyone to stay at the Sherbrooke!!

Room Tip: All rooms stunning!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Scotland
Reviewed 4 June 2013

A visit to the Sherbrooke Castle for afternoon was lovely. Plenty of cakes, scones, jam and cream. Nice dainty little sandwiches, all the girls in the party had a lovely time. Unfortunately for the men in the family it was not enough. As soon as we left they wanted "proper" food at home. I would definitely recommend this for afternoon tea.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I have recently attended a function through work at the Sherbrooke and it was excellent. The service was great and the food was fantastic - especially the Duck! I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

We had a works retirement dinner at the Sherbrooke tonight and I have to say that the food was well below par!
The soup was so 'unusual' that we were trying to guess what was in it!( it was supposedly leek, potato and rocket!)
My chicken was sent back being undercooked, and other colleagues complained of under cooked chicken or totally overlooked! However the vegetarian option was deemed very tasty!
The Lemon meringue pie was most disappointing and was be defrosted bought- in style. All in all very disapointing and not at all worth the £30 per head.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank CarolineDickson
SherbrookeCastle, Manager at Sherbrooke Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are extremely disappointed and were surprised to read some of your comments with regards to our food. We are very passionate about our customer service experience and we pride ourselves in our reputation for delivering quality food and service.

I would like to invite you to contact our Head Chef directly on 0141-427-4227 to discuss your comments. Our Head Pastry Chef is also happy to discuss your comments as all our desserts are homemade and we do not buy in any pre-made desserts.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
The Management Team
The Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Got Room 11 at the very top of the castle for six wonderful nights and it blew me away. The bedroom was spacious enough to hold two wardrobes and a writing desk, in addition to a real double bed. There was a separate lounge area. The bathroom was huge and sparkling clean, with a claw-footed tub as well as a shower, and great views from three windows. There was no lift and the door was locked with a plain metal key, but I liked these old-fashioned touches that reminded me I was sleeping in a castle.

The food in the restaurant was surprisingly good. I still have fond memories of the roast beef (pink), Yorkshire pudding (huge), garden vegetables (crisp), lamb saddle (juicy) and pork belly (tender). They really know how to cook meat here.

Through it all, the staff were helpful, polite and efficient, and took care of everything without ever being intrusive or huffy. The guy at the reception desk had no issue with stepping into the restaurant to take my order when everyone else was busy, and I was impressed by that.

The only niggly negatives I could find were that the shower pressure wasn't great (though nice and hot), and the Wi-Fi was pretty weak, probably because of the room's location. Five stars nonetheless, because the everything else was so lovely, and the bill at the end of it was very reasonable. I'm glad I stayed here, and I was sorry to leave, and I'd come back if I could.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple