“Good but noisy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked here for 2 nights on a work basis due to working in Glasgow. I did only stay the 1 night. Upon arrival I was told I got an upgrade, I got a comfortable double bed and the en suite that I asked for on the 2nd floor. The room over all was clean tidy and the view was remarkable as you can see right over the old city. The staff I cant fault they were friendly. The breakfast I thoroughly enjoyed, you are free to help yourself to cereal, juice, tea/coffee etc and the staff were happy to make your eggs how you wanted them (scrambled, poached etc) and I received a full breakfast (English/Scottish what ever you want to call it) The only downside to this hotel was that it isn't double glazed which made the room cold during the night (esp as the heating is turned off at night) and the noise from the traffic keeps you awake; had the hotel been double glazed then customers would benefit from this, as you wouldn't be woken by the noise all through the night (the hotel is right next to a very busy 3 lane road for cars, wagons and buses that run all day and night) and the room gets very cold during the night, I ended up putting extra clothing on including a couple of jumpers just to keep warm under the covers! The radiator in the room is in front of the window so there is no benefit to this WHEN the hotel turn the heating on, as the heat rises up behind the curtains and strait out of the window, which was letting the cold in! I checked out the following day. For £63 for 2 nights incl breakfast it is worth it!

Room Tip: Unless you want a room with a view and noise! Ask for a room away from the main road, to avoid the t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

A quick summary of my comments below – this is a clean comfortable hotel in a great location. It has been recently renovated in a simple style that respects its historic location.

After reading some of the reviews from before November 2013 I was a bit nervous about booking here, but it has been completely renovated and I was very pleasantly surprised. My room was clean and comfortable and the hotel is in a very impressive location.

I paid £36 for a single room (for a Friday night!) and at that price I wasn't expecting much. But this hotel far exceeded my expectations. It has been refurbished in a simple modern style but has also kept the original features of an impressive building (including the central stairwell).

The location is impressive as it's in a lovely Georgian crescent with Kelvingrove Park nearby and is convenient for Glasgow City Centre.

The chap on the desk was very helpful. I was staying on a Friday night and parking outside was free over the weekend.

The breakfast was decent too. The owners were attentive at breakfast (possibly a bit too attentive, recommending where the sausages came from etc.) but that’s a minor point as I’m a bit of a curmudgeon first thing in the morning. Just let me eat breakfast…

Another very minor point - my single room was quite small and the bathroom door didn't open fully as it was blocked by the bed. I almost walked into the door edge unawares.

But that's all I can think of to fault the place. The bed was comfortable, there was a desk in the room, kettle and decent choice of beverages, the flat screen TV was easily viewable - I'll take a smaller room as a compromise for staying in such a characterful historic building in such a great location.

Don't be put off by the earlier 2013 reviews. Would I stay here again? Absolutely!

This is now my first choice hotel in Glasgow.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

As soon as we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the receptionist. She was very polite and very helpfull. Our room jad a double bed and 2 single beds at £105. It was en suite and very comfortable. Only thing was it smelled slightly smokey which was quite coinsedental as receptionist stated smoking was very forbidden lol. We went to leave for our concert and it was a man at reception this time who was also very polite and ordered us a taxi as they have an automated service. It came in 2 mins. Unfortunatley we were all very ill the morning after to have the breakfast :-( will defo come again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We visited here with a family friend and children. The staff made us feel very welcome.Originally, we had a twin room which was quite spacious, then moved to a double room, which was a bit smaller. Each room had its own bathroom and television. The location was also pretty good, so all in all a nice stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Had to book something at very short notice. Price was cheap but despite my trepidation this was an excellent experience. Room clean and comfortable. Separate bathroom clean and shower good. Staff courteous and efficient. Breakfast first class. Can't fault my experience here. Will use again if needed rather than paying more elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have stayed at Sanydord Lodge for a few weeks in February, and I must say its is wonderful. The rooms are spotless, large, and modern. The staff is always available and very helpful in organizing my stay. The location is great. The breakfast is the best Ive had in Glasgow. Overall, this hotel offers amazing value, and a guaranteed good stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here last night following concert at the Hydro ... on arrival ... very pleasantly surprised .... beautifully decorated ... spotless ... and huge rooms! Brilliant location for the Hydro ... 10 minute walk and plenty of bars and places to eat round about ....attentive owners .... very comfy beds .. and breakfast was very tasty! Definately recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends