“Disappointed - Not what I expected”

The Sandyford Hotel
Ranked #62 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Perth, United Kingdom
“Disappointed - Not what I expected”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Our booking at this hotel was a last minute thing to accommodate a gig me and my boyfriend had in glasgow. Had seen photographs on the website and had high expectations. When we arrive, greeted by a cold, unfriendly manner at reception. If that wasn't bad enough, when I enter room, there is a room with 2 beds instead of a double, an old carpet (apparently brand new), a horrible bathroom (my one bedroom flat bathroom is nicer than that) cracks in the bathroom tiles, rips in the seats, creaky floors and generally no space (apparently we had the biggest room in the place. When i requested the next day to change rooms, i was told in a rude manner that i was too late can should have phoned in the morning. i complained about my experience when checking out (10am!) and was just told sorry but please pay now. to cut a long story short, all staff were rude, unhelpful and not even interested in their customers experiences. i wish i had read the reviews on this first as i only saw good ones. definately the worst hotel i've stayed in. avoid! the only good thing about this place was the tv. also breakfast finishes WAY too early (7.30am). terrible!

Room Tip: do not request a first floor room, we were told they had been done up and done up means "a bit...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hannah L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
ontario
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I had a single room and when I compared it with a similarly priced one a friend had taken mine was a much better value. The hotel is a bit on the basic side (being a converted tenement building) but I found it to be clean and well serviced. The towels were well worn and the hallways had a well used feel about them. Breakfast was absolutely splendid, the choices were quite amazing.

Room Tip: I would advise trying to get a room facing out of the back of the building and possibly low down as...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Tarbert, Scotland
Reviewed 20 September 2011

For this price, close to both the City Centre and the West End, It is good value. Reception was most welcoming and helpful. Room clean and perfectly adequate with tea and coffee making facilities. Neither my wife or I had any problem with the mattress as another reviewer noted. Honestly, what do you expect for this price. There are some excellent restaurants within a short walk of the hotel. We left before 5 in the morning but were still able to help ourselves to a continental breakfast. I will use it again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 22 August 2011

A friend and I spent 2 nights here and it was just about the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The mattresses are ancient, more a collection of scrap metal wrapped in fabric than anything soft and comfortable. I asked for additional pillows as the 2 very thin ones on my bed were still only half the thickness of a normal pillow but there were none available. Breakfast is served in the crowded basement dining room and was the most chaotic I've ever experienced. Food was served up cold and very greasy, fruit was mostly tinned, and even cereal wasn't a good option as the milk was warm. Very worrying was the fire extinguishers being used, regularly, to prop open the fire doors to the stairwell. Staff didn't seem to care.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathy M

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2011

They had a good variety of for breakfast, although I must say, the apple juice tasted like water.... The room was cosy, neat and clean on our arrival, although he pillows were terrible! They were soft and didn't provide any support for your head.... There was no life and had to carry our cases up 3 flights of stairs.... no pub or dining area for the evening which made us look for a place that did local food within walking distance.... The staff were friendly and the internet use was free!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stayed in a twin room with my son , after a very hard day at work I checked in only to find a mistake with the booking ( 2 nights instead of 1 ) . The very rude man on the desk told me I had to pay for both , after saying I would only pay for 1 he informed me he would charge the credit card used to make the booking anyway !! Then to top my stay off we went for breakfast at 8.40 am only to be told we were too late and everything had been put away . Nobody told us breakfast finished at 8.30 am !!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Greecy72
aberdeen scotland
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel overnight on 24th July as a break from our journey from the airport home to Aberdeen the following morning and were well pleased - the hotel is an old Victorian building, situated on a busy main road but we were warmly greeted by the evening receptionist, our room was more than adequate, very large with a comfortable double bed, very clean, small shower room (very ragged towels though) and a more than adequate breakfast in the morning. We paid only £45 for us both and were very pleased. The lad on reception in the morning was friendly and phoned a taxi for us so all in all would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable stay at a reasonable price - note to management though, perhaps should invest a couple of hundred pounds and get a load of new towels, doesnt have to be expensive and makes a much better impression.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple