“Great hotel in a great location”

The Sandyford Hotel
Ranked #63 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Washington, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the Sandyford Hotel, our requested ground floor room was lovely and the staff were very helpful and welcoming. The breakfast room was clean bright and cheerful and there was a great choice of food available, second helpings were encouraged. The comfortable reception area was great for chatting with friends. The hotel is in a great location for eating places, bars, quirky shops and the Kelvin Grove Museum and Park. The Glasgow Tour bus stops outside the hotel. Many venues and places to visit are within walking distance. We will certainly go back as this is a great hotel in an area that is on the up.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have been recently refurbished and the two rooms I saw were both very nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
Troon
Reviewed 29 July 2013

After reading other trip advisor reviews, my husband and I booked a double room for an overnight stay while we celebrated my birthday by going to the Pavillion theatre. This was ideally situated with available parking close by. Bus stop from the door to city centre if needed. We got a taxi and it was only £4. The room was clean, TV and tea & coffee making facilities were good and most importantly, the bed was very comfortable so slept well. Slept so well I nearly slept in for breakfast and was later in going to the dining room. Because of that, I expected to have to wait to be served with, perhaps a not quite such an extensive menu and maybe lukewarm food as the obviously popular hotel was fully booked that night and the chef had to cook for 92 people. However, I was wrong, the dining room was very nice. I helped myself to coffee, cereal and toast. I had a lovely freshly cooked, hot full Scottish breakfast complete with my favourite 'tattie scone'. Don't think there was anything I couldn't have had included in this breakfast. Continental was available too. Waitresses were very efficient and friendly. Quick service too and on checking out after a perfect stay, Daniel at reception was very efficient and friendly with a cheery farewell. We will return, Daniel, 'By the way'! :) All round good value, Thank you Sandyford

Room Tip: Ours was 210 on second floor which is fine if you don't have difficulty with stairs (no lift)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Melville, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I am going to Glasgow in September and have booked once again at the Sandyford I was there a few years ago. I believe it has been renovated, looking forward to seeing the new renovations. The staff are very friendly and the breakfast is great. So central for the west end of Glasgow which is a great place to be, five minutes on the bus to the city, bus stop outside. we phoned to book this time and they had all our details and fitted us in as we could not get booking on line.
Would recommend it to anyone.
Anne

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Maidenhead, Berks
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed 5 nights. Staff were friendly and helpful, twin room was clean and big enough for me staying solo but might have been a bit snug for 2 of us. Bed was reasonably comfortable - I've slept in a much less comfy bed in a much more expensive hotel. Good breakfast with a sign that encourages asking for second helpings and 'Our chef aims to please if not impress'. It's a great location for shopping (20 minutes walk to Buchanan Street) and the art galleries and museums. Kelvingrove Park is at the end of the road about 100 metres away and a stroll in the park was a nice way to wind down at the end of the day. Good pubs and restaurants nearby.

It's great value for the money and I would definitely go back. Yes, it is a little tired but for £40 a night I challenge anyone to find a better place to lay your head in the middle of Glasgow at that price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank corajose
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed here on our arrival from Australia. I had emailed the hotel before our flight and they were only too pleased to let us into our room before the check-in time. The room was very clean and quite comfortable. The breakfast was cooked to order and nice and hot. The hotel was very handy for the city centre and art galleries etc. There was public transport outside and the hotel was near good pubs. Would stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 12 July 2013

There was an entrance renovation when we came. A lot of dust was everywhere near the door and stairs, as it a part of wall under renovation was not covered by anything.

We read in the info about the hotel that there is a public parking nearby, however it is not possible to leave there a car for more than 3 hours (during the day). We checked it with the receptionist.
The room we got was dirty - we found some food a floor behind the nightstand, there was hole in our bed sheet and all bedclothes were turned inside out. There was no shower gel/shampoo in the bathroom (the dispenser was empty), however there was a one small soap in the bathroom so we could use it.

There are 2 different breakfast times - the one in the room shows 8:45, whilst the one in the hall shows 8:30. It makes a difference, especially when you are on vacation and want to eat as late as possible. It was very hot in the breakfast room and we had to wait a good while before someone came to our table and ask about our order. Scrambled eggs were watery and porridge didn't have a taste (I ate it in different hotels in UK during this summer and I know how it may taste).

Next to the hotel is a pub open until late at night which makes it impossible to sleep till midnight or 1am, not to speak of opening a window.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mlukow

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed at the Sandyford Hotel on Monday 1st July. It was a business trip which was booked for me by a colleague at work.

Even though there were no major negatives or positives I probably wouldn't recommend to stay here for more than one night. Its not a hotel that is suitable for tourists/holidaymakers who would need a longer stay.

My room was nice, staff were nice, public areas were nice, breakfast was nice. All in all it was a nice stay but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business