“Very average”

The Sandyford Hotel
Ranked #58 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel out of desperation recently. Although the price was only £45 for a double room at the last minute and the room was clean and comfortable it was fairly basic. The duvet was quite light - thank goodness, it was the summer time or it would have been freezing with no extra blankets in the cupboard - it is Glasgow after all. There was a wet towel in the bathroom and the bathroom was a little grubby although thankfully the shower was hot. Also no hair dryer in the room but tea/coffee making facilities were welcome. The management in the hotel weren't overly friendly when I arrived albeit it was late enough in the evening when I landed on the doorstep looking a bit disheveled.

The breakfast was only average even though it was hot food and a selection of canned fruit. Why it is impossible for b&bs and hotels to have fresh fruit? Sorry you could take a small red apple if you wanted it. It is such as simple thing to do to buy apples, organes, kiwis etc cut them up and put them in a bowl. Also no natural yogurt and the hot breakfast was obviously the cheapest pudding, rashers, sausages etc they could get from a bargain basement supermarket - yuck! I really hate getting crap food when it is so easy to make a decent English breakfast.

When I was checking out I also asked the receptionist could I leave my bag for an hour or so while I popped into town. I'm surprised she actually looked up from playing with her iPhone to answer me but I did get a nod of a head. No attempt to get up and take my bag and put it somewhere secure for me - I don't know if there even was such as facility because when I arrived back it was sitting in reception where I'd left it for anyone to walk away with!!

Crikey it doesn't take a lot to run a b&b so not to get these things right really bugs me especially when I pay £45 for the privilege. Won't be back in a hurry.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed at this west end hotel for commonwealth games. Great location, very helpful staff even to ordering flowers for me via husband request for our anniversary!! Hearty breakfast , good local knowledge of the staff. Rooms clean and comfortable. Close to nice bars & restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tracy701
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

It was my fiancees decision to stay here as we always decide on the day where and what to see/do! It finally got us to relax and made us feel comfortable!!! The TV was a bit weird as it was on the side wall for everyone to see it but nobody would be comfortable to watch! We wouldn't bother as we didn't go there to watch TV... The Breakfast was standard but good for value! A lovely place with nice staff!!! Would come back!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for the Commonwealth games as our daughter was competing.Excellent value for money hotel where the welcome was extremely warm. The room we had was on the top floor and was an attic room and as the weather was extremely warm we were a little uncomfortable. We were then moved to a room on the third floor which was much cooler and seemed to be no trouble at all for the staff. Breakfast was good and plentiful and everyone was in good spirits.The staff were extremely hardworking and seemed to do a variety of jobs especially the lovely lady on reception. good location for the museums and art galleries and all the buses stop outside. 20 min walk to town centre and very close to Hydro and SECC. All in all a very enjoyable stay and yes it is old and not 5 star but the welcome we got was worth so much more.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor if possible as it can be too warm and there is no lift so not good if you are no...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Decided on this hotel due to location of the restaurant we were dining in.
In an old building but decor really needs properly updating. It has been done through various areas but just not properly i.e. patches on the staircase walls which had been missed with the new paint or round signs. Just felt it was not cared for.
Our room was 412 the very last one at the top of the 3 flights of stairs so if you have any problems with mobility its certainly not for you. The hall up there to the room has not been decorated like the rest as it was a dark yellowish colour and did not inspire us, along with the smell and the pine doors/wood just made it feel out dated. The room was ok and had ensuite which was tiny and had a toilet basin and shower unit.
Breakfast was down in the basement and ok with a variety of items on offer but staff could have been a bit more professional in their manner.
One point to make was that on the email from laterooms it stated 11am check out but we were told it is 10.30. i said about the email and the male reception member said that would be 11 then after chceking the website however the next morning, we got a call from reception at 10.35am to ask were we checking out? We did and will not be back. I'd rather pay that little extra money for a much better stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on top floor ! Ours also looked out down onto the back court which was covered in...
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Good Points:

1. Friendly staff, responsive to email enquiries before we arrived and the lady on reception was very quick to sort out a small issue we had with the room when we got there.

2. Decent location. It’s a 25 minute walk to the city centre or 5 minute taxi – 10 minute walk to the river and is right by the west end.

3. Despite no car park we found a parking space easily behind the hotel (in the middle of the Commonwealth games busy period!) and they offer discounted parking tickets.

4. Basic facilities but tidy enough considering the price.

Suggestion to improve:

Breakfast is an odd setup. There is waitress service but she brings your food immediately so it’s obviously from pots of pre-prepared food at the back. So why not just have a buffet where people can select the exact amount/type of what they want themselves? We also didn’t think it was that tasty, with parts of the breakfast dry and overcooked and other parts slimy – but then none of the 4 hotels we stayed in in the Glasgow area did a nice breakfast, so maybe we were just being too picky on this trip!

Points to note:

1. Remember that there are no lifts and a LOT of stairs!

2. The 4th floor rooms, which I think are the cheapest, are very small and can get quite hot in the summer (no aircon in our room, not sure about others). Fine at the back of the hotel if you open the skylight windows but imagine could be noisy at the front.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs and no lift, so if you have even the slightest mobility issues choose the lower floor...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked a room for a special occasion stated that it was a special occasion . On arrival we went to our room which was on the top floor and looked tiny when we went in there was already some other bags in the room and it was a twin room even though we had specifically asked for a double for a special occasion. On speaking to Michael on reception he said there had been a mix up and that was the only room left !! We asked for our money back as we would go elsewhere he said he would be able to do a discount when I asked what he said we would have to wait till his manager came back in the morning . We asked to see someone more senior he said there was no one I said what if there was an emergency you must contact someone he didn't reply.

When we contacted booking.com to get our refund which they eventually gave us as it wasn't the double we booked Michael tried to change his story and offer us a 40% discount as he realised we would be leaving but we said no and left.

I think the hotel were just trying to sell rooms they didn't have as the commonwealth games were on he was really not helpful in sorting our problem out and ruined a special occasion as did booking .com not very happy.

Also there was a note on reception to say don't all come for breakfast at 9am as you may have over a 40 minute wIt as they wouldn't be able to cope . I would avoid !!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple