“Unbelievable value!”

Ranked #63 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Manchester
“Unbelievable value!”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I stayed at the Sandyford for two nights in April while attending a conference. I was initially apprehensive about the trip, the room had cost me £35 for a single en-suite room and I really didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised on arrival to find a clean and modern room with an LCD tv and other frills that I simply hadn't expected for the price. The bathroom looked like it had been refurbished less recently, although it was still fine. The breakfast was fantastic; there was a buffet selection of cereals and fruit, and a made-to-order hot breakfast on offer. The location is very convenient to the University and is walk-able to the centre of Glasgow, there are also lots of nice pubs and restaurants close by.

A couple of issues:

Reception ask you to hand in your key when you are not in the hotel - this can be annoying if you come in late and there is nobody around reception.
There's no secure left luggage room.
Sauchiehall Street is very noisy and the windows are not double-glazed. If you're a sensitive sleeper and have a front-facing room, you might need earplugs.

For the price, the Sandyford is unbelievably good. I'll definitely be returning next time I'm back in Glasgow!

Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
Birmingham
Reviewed 2 August 2010

There have been mixed reviews on this and as I'm about to book it again, wanted to re-address the balance!

For my first time in Glasgow, I found this to very well located. It's 10 mins from city centre shops (downtown) & even more glorious, 10 mins from the delightful West End.

On the first day I got the attic room whic was still excellent value but I really like a bath and they let me switch the next day, sorting out my bags for me whilst I was out. I thought the reception were super friendly and started remembering my room no as I went in and out each day. I was there for a writing trip so didn't go for the tourist attractions but they were knowledgable.
The breakfast staff were a little rushed but quite frankly the breakfast is a massive bonus for the money.
It sure helped me love Glasgow on my first trip and I'm looking forward to staying there again for a longer 4 day trip this month,

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
carrymat
Reviewed 26 July 2010

For £40 a night including a fantastic breakfast, free on street parking outside, and very close to the city centre you cant beat this hotel.
However I had a single room (booked directly with them after reading some of the other reviews) which was in the basement. As it was downstairs and below street level there was a bit of noise especially from the plumbing!
Therefore I would suggest getting a double room that and specifically ask for one that isnt in the basement.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We stayed at the Sandyford for 2 nights. We'd got a good deal through lastminute.com. I don't know if that had anything to do with the room we were given the first night, although I suspect it might. We arrived pretty late at night (past 11 p.m.) after having walked nearly half an hour in the rain from the Queen St train station. (I'd recommend you take a cab instead, it wouldn't cost much). The guy at the desk was nice enough and told us about the breakfast hours for the next morning. We'd been given a room on the 4th floor, 409 (or 5th floor if you're American), which was way, way up in the attic up many narrow flights of stairs, and, despite the name, seems to have a passing acquaintance, at best, with cleansing products. The room itself was tiny but very cute and well-furnished. It was an attic room with a sloping roof and a single slanting skylight-type window. All of this was fine. The trouble started when we opened the door to the bathroom and the entire room instantly filled with a strong stench of mildew. My boyfriend said it smelled "like sweaty socks". Peeking into the tiny bathroom revealed the culprit - layers of pink mildew all over the tiles in the shower. Ugh! I had to hold my breath every time I went into the bathroom and felt dirtier after using the shower than before. That bathroom required not only a normal thorough cleaning (I also noticed curly black hairs on the toilet, sink, and floor - ick!), it really needed to be soaked in bleach for several hours and THEN scrubbed thoroughly. The next morning we asked if we could change rooms, and the very friendly and helpful guy at the front desk said yes, no problem, and even offered to bring our bags down for us. We had our breakfast, which was chaotic and extremely slow (but probably our own fault for arriving at the tail end of breakfast hours) but very abundant and tasty all the same. I tried haggis for the first time and was surprised to find that it's quite tasty! We later switched to room 112, which was in the rear not far from the breakfast room. Much larger, much nicer - the main difference, of course, being that the bathroom didn't reek of mold and had actually been cleaned. Our breakfast the next morning went much more smoothly, we didn't have to wait over 20 minutes for our order to be taken and the food came quickly and was what we had actually ordered this time. I'd give 4 stars just for the staff and breakfast - everyone we spoke with was very friendly and helpful, absolutely no points off for service, and if you are lucky enough to get a decent room, this is a great value for the money, great breakfast and pretty good location as well (excellent to get to the park and Kelvingrove museum although unfortunately we didn't have the time to go there).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester UK
Reviewed 12 July 2010

It started from the Question " Did you booked through last minute.com ", our reply was yes we did. There was a rummage through some keys and at last a key for room 002 was placed on the desk in-front of us. We were given directions of how to go downstairs and through doors next to the dining room and toilets. This is where we would find our room. Once we entered the room we took one look at the view and all we could see is peoples ankles as we were in the lower floor, or as my partner put it the bargain basement.
We went out for the evening and will say the position of the hotel in the west end of Glasgow is ideal for bars and restaurants but then again so are all the other hotels in this area.Talking of restaurants there is an Indian two doors up from the Sandyford called Siblo's Delhi Dhabba ( can be found on google maps). We decided to try it out and were very pleased we did. The Management ( Joseph) was very friendly and attentive. The meal was excellent and the Nan bread was the largest my partner and I have ever seen. On returning to the room we hit the hay but not before realising there was no lock on the door for extra security.
In the morning we decided to forgo the pleasure of the breakfast despite the alarm that went off for last orders for breakfast.Before departing the hotel we took a shower this was another experience, apart from the mould around the base of the shower, and the threadbare towels that my mother-in-law would have not have used on her dog never mind guests in a hotel. This is when we decided not to stay a moment longer and left. I assure you we will not be back and would not recommended this hotel to any friends or family.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Ipswich
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Once overnight with a friend and then again last year with my husband on a longer visit to Glasgow. It is reasonably priced, the rooms are clean and well furnished and you definately get value for money at breakfast. Just a 20 minute walk to the city sentre and they can also provide vouchers for nearby on street parking at a price I doubt you would be able to beat.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff are always friendly and have given both directions and advise on public transport. There is also a large choice of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Cambridge
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Having read a couple of the earlier reviews regarding the Sandyford we were both a little nervous. However, we soon discovered that our concerns were unnecessary. The staff were extremely helpful. Daniel and Colin on reception could not have done more to help. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were clean and adequate for our needs. They are not 5* but perfectly fine. The reception area is very bright and comfortable. The hotel provides free Internet service at reception along with free coffee and fruit. The breakfast is excellent! A great Scottish cooked breakfast with as much muesli, cereals and toast as you can eat.
We have inquired on behalf of a close family friend to stay there for a month whilst they relocate to Glasgow. We would not hesitate to recommend or use the hotel again.

Glen & Denise, Cambridge