“Terrible”
Review of McLays Guest House

McLays Guest House
Ranked #76 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 January 2014

15min walking from Glasgow central station, 10min walking from the city center. Old but clean building, typical British breakfast included, good value for the money. Poor wireless conection in the top floor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My friends and I spent the New Year in Glasgow, and we stayed at McLay's. It was located quite close to the 'downtown' area which is filled with things to see and explore, and Anne was exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful about helping us plan our days. The rates were very reasonable and they gave a full Scottish breakfast in the morning. I would definitely recommend staying here and would return myself if I ever take another trip to Glasgow.

Room Tip: We chose an en suite bathroom so I cannot speak to the shared accommodations. It was worth the extra...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our 5 nights stay at McLays were truly comfortable and unforgettable. Staff with cheerful attitudes and superbly warm and helpful. On the last day where we had to check out early, they offered us breakfast and made sure the cab arrived to take us to the Airport. Beds and towels were spotlessly clean. My mom who will be 80 years old early coming Jan thoroughly enjoyed her stay. We hope to be back. Lim family Malaysia

Room Tip: No basement rooms.that's a bonus!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Value for money accommodation. Substantial full breakfast. Breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. The establishment is only a few blocks from the centre of Glasgow (maybe ten minutes walk), one block from Glasgow School of Art. It is situated at the top of a fairly steep hill, and has a dozen or so steps to the door. Restricted parking. Not luxurious, but overall worth the price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NathanP_11
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I've stayed in McLays in the past and have always found the rooms to be very comfortable. I last visited in October 2013. I had a single room with an en suite bathroom. It was very cosy and very reasonably priced as well.

I arrived prior to check in and the staff were kind enough to let me store my bag before I could go into my room. This allowed me to explore Glasgow and then return to get sorted. My only criticism would be that when I booked in the person at reception did not give me a remote control for the tv. When I mentioned this the following day there was an apology and I was told about how they operate to when I returned later there were no further issues.

Will definitely come again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I must say this is one of the best value for money hotels I have ever had the pleasure of visiting!

Initially I thought I had ‘become a cropper’ upon observing the close proximity of the hotel to a local nightclub, but to be fair despite being at the front of the building I slept like a log with not a sound from the said club.

I stayed in a 3 or 4 people room complete with en suite (which was convenient but a wee bit dated costing Mclays a star). With the large amount of space, massive flat screen television, top floor location and an enormous window with a breathtaking city centre view of Glasgow, my friends were intent on describing the room as a “penthouse suite” – the value for money was simply staggering. The location was fantastic near to a street with plenty of restaurants, bar and clubs whilst being a short walk from the main shops etc. Also the breakfast was anything but a culinary delight but for the price (free!) it was absolutely fantastic.

All in all, I will definitely be staying at Mclays again upon my next visit to Glasgow.

PS parking is available on the surrounding streets but make sure you buy a £2 pass from Mclays!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends