“Worst choice for my wedding night!”
Review of Number 10 Hotel

Number 10 Hotel
Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I turned down a free stay in one of the other five star hotels in Glasgow to 'treat myself' and my husband with two nights here.

The hotel's good points are that the furnishings are stunning. The large room sizes and fresh decor really add to the character. It's location is also gorgeous.

Unfortunately for me and my new husband the service from some of the staff is what let it down.

After an amazing wedding day we check into Number 10 Glasgow in a great mood.

The staff on duty were happy to bring us some water and glasses to the room.
When I took a gulp of my water a piece of already chewed chewing gum went into my mouth.

My husband called down to reception to tell them what happened and spoke to the manager. Who told him that if he wanted it to be replaced then he would need to bring it over himself as they were very busy with a wedding party ' that had actually had their day here'. No apology was offered.

The next day we told the girl on reception, who kindly changed our room to the honeymoon suite (we were already in the other suite) but after doing so commented, 'so, there; now you've got something for it'. This made us feel that we had no right to complain, and that we were out of order in doing so.

I was sorry that I had paid for two nights.

The following morning we went to breakfast (half an hour before it was due to shut) to be told by the same manager that he'd decided to close breakfast early that day. When we said that it was unfair that we weren't told he replied 'well it's free when you pay for a night's stay, so you haven't really lost anything' He then offered us 'tea and toast, if (we) didn't mind eating whilst they prepared the room for another party that afternoon'

I am so dissapointed that this is where I booked to spend my wedding night. I can never have another one.

I did not want a lot of 'freebies' in return for putting already chewed chewing gum into my drinking glass - I would've settle for a sincere apology. Instead I was made to feel that I had over reacted and that I was not important enough to offer good service to. That my wedding was second best to the other couple's wedding because we had it elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sancerre-5810
linda71842003, Manager at Number 10 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback, and the compliments regarding our venue.

I was dismayed to read your review, however I am surprised that your experience was 10 months ago, had this been brought to our attention sooner then I am sure we would have been able to rectify your concerns and perhaps the bad memory would have not lingered so long.

It is important to us that we shed a positive light on the company from both existing and future customers and the public at large.

We are committed to you, our valued customers, and have taken immediate corrective steps to regain your confidence in us. I am positive that this was a “one off” experience and not indicative to the standard of service that we offer.

Thank you.

Reviewed 10 April 2011

My daughter had her complete wedding at No 10 and it was the most perfect experience. From booking to completion, we were treated with wonderful customer care. The staff are totally committed to make your function run beautifully. The wedding set up for the ceremony/dinner and evening reception was wonderful. The room was beautifully set up and the food was amazing. We were fortunate enough to have the champagne reception outside in the Gazebo as the weather was perfect. The wedding co-ordinator Angela was outstanding and seamlessly attended to every detail without being obtrusive, she made the day very special. All the other staff were equally attentive and nothing was too much trouble for any of them. A lot of the staff have worked in this hotel for a long time and they are very happy in their employment, it says a lot these days! Most of the hotel rooms were occupied by family and guests and we had a lovely family breakfast in the morning. All the people who stayed over night enjoyed the very large rooms and comfort provided. To conclude, if you want to have a function where you are treated with the best of hospitality, then choose No 10, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank wanderer23
Reviewed 6 April 2011

have had an amazing stay in this hotel im glad i chose to come back to stay. The room was spacious and very clean. The food in the restaurant is amazing they have a great chef.angela and stephanie are very friendly and made me feel realy welcome they also recognised me from 2 years previous.william the general manager was very friendly and made sure i was enjoying my stay,which made me feel special.overall i had a fantastic stay and would come back again.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Angiebaby1985
Reviewed 29 March 2011

As a party venue this might be okay, but for a night's sleep forget it. Music thumped and guests shouted until the small hours. I chose this hotel because of it's marvelous reviews, and quite frankly it didn't deserve them at all.

I had requested a quiet room, and being located above the party/dining room on the first floor, my initial room was never going to be a quiet room. On complaining I was given a room on the second floor. The difference was between extremely loud and very loud.

The first room was tiny; the bathroom had two dead wasps. The second room was still small and the phone didn't work. There was no "seating area" in either room, there wasn't even room for a seat. The "luxury toiletries" comprised of a bar of soap and mini bottle of hair/body wash of unknown make. On the up side, it was clean and the chap on reception was prompt and friendly when I requested a change of room. At a glance the hotel looks fine, but I would most definitely not call it a "luxury boutique hotel" as in its promotional blurb, nor would I rate it 4 star.

When I complained about my awful night the receptionist gave me a gift voucher for £80 to come and stay on another occasion. It was an nice gesture but I don't think they'll really expect me back; I would rather have a good night's sleep, or a better gesture would have been to reduce the cost of my stay. I could have gone to George Square and not slept for free.

I wont be recommending to a friend.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NickyNackered
Reviewed 28 March 2011

i had my wedding reception at number 10 on 19th march 2011 and i can honestly say it wouldnt have been the great day it was if it wasnt for the staff and the venue in general!!!

the wedding co-ordinator angela and the manager william could not have been anymore helpful they were very accomodating and understanding with everything!

having being pregnant on the day of my wedding angela had made sure i was ok throughout the day and went out her way to make sure i was comfortable and even had a snack prepared for my arrival at the hotel as i still had a while before my meal due to having photographs taken which i think was an excellent touch and really showed that she cares for guests to the hotel!

the whole day went without a hitch, they met all my expectations, served up a fantastic meal promptly and efficiently which all my guests were immpressed with also angela had went out of her way to make sure all my guests were comfortable in particular the older guests of the wedding.

the change around of the room from the meal to the evening party was done quickly and efficiently and the bar staff were great also making sure the tables were always cleared of empty glasses and attending to guests needs. Chris the DJ that the hotel organise i could not fault either i had quite a few kids at the wedding and he made sure the kids were entertained throughout it is a long day for children and the fact he brought gifts for the children and played games with them for a short while i think was an excellent idea as it gave the adults a chance to chat with each other relax for a bit and not have to worry about the children, the children loved it! he also played a wide variety of music to cover all age groups at the wedding and was quite happy to play anything that was requested.

and finally the honeymoon suite was absolutley fab a huge room with a huge bed and a great big jaccuzzi bath it was complete luxury!! And to top it all of we were served a fantastic breakfast the following morning!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank susandolan
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We have stayed at Number 10 on a few occassions and I can honestly say it is one of the friendliest hotels in glasgow, the staff are fantastic and the rooms and the hotel is excellent value for money.
We would 100% recommend the hotel to anyone, it's great for functions and weddings or just a weekend away.
The Manager and his staff cannot do enough for their guests and this makes it a great venue and a place we will most definatley visit again.

Thank You For Making Our Stay So Enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank pablos1
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I attended my cousins wedding on the 19th of march, and it was my first time visiting the hotel.
On arrival, we were warmly greeted by staff (most memorable staff member, Angela), who could not have done anymore for the guests.
The meal of soup, followed by balmoral chicken, was outstanding, served promptly and efficiently by staff.
Staff were unobtrusive, but continually made sure the guests were looked after and topping up drinks.
We all had a fantastic day, and I will definetely recommend this hotel to all friends and family. Thank you for a great day.

• Stayed: March 2011