“Guest House Stay - Very Good”
Review of Argyll Guest House

Argyll Guest House
Ranked #8 of 35 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed three nights in early July 2014 whilst attending Conference nearby. Spacious room downstairs across the road in Guest House. Other members of family stayed in Hotel upstairs. All rooms very good, with good bathroom facilities. Breakfast facilities plentiful. Car parking sorted out on street for first few hours and then in car park for a few days, which was very helpful. Staff excellent (front desk and breakfast). Location excellent, for Conference at nearby University and close to Kelvingrove. Taxi access very good, or able to be called in a few minutes. Bus to City readily available. Nearby restaurants very good, especially Ox and Finch for "tapas" style small plates of excellent food, very good wine selection and excellent service, even on a busy night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I know Glasgow very well, so I knew this hotel's location was good for Kelvingrove & the West End. I had never stayed at the Argyll before and would normally choose a higher grade of accommodation, but it was a last minute booking and I got a great rate. I was travelling alone and stayed for one weekend night at the Argyll Guest House opposite the main hotel.

I could be churlish and make sniffy remarks about the quality of the decor, the age of the furniture, comfort of the bed, or the fact that there's a busy road outside. Truthfully though, while some may be troubled there, I was not. My overwhelming experience at the Argyll was very good indeed. The staff I met were all very friendly, professional and helpful. The room may not have been of the latest, highest standard, but it was clean and secure and had all the essentials. It truly was good value and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank A M
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is my second year staying at the Argyll. Last year I stayed in the hotel part and this year I stayed in the Guest House across the street. I didn't really see a difference. They were both very comfortable and clean. The location is right outside The University of Glasgow in the trendy West End of the city. I highly recommend this hotel/guest house because of its location, cleanliness and responsiveness of its staff. Lots of shops, restaurants and pubs in the area. The one thing I don't recommend is the breakfast. It's not bad but there are many more little cafés in the area you can go to for a better and cheaper " Scottish Breakfast".

Room Tip: I have been in both the hotel and guest house, both my rooms were about the same size. I had a twin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Marykate N
Reviewed 28 June 2014

could not get a room at the hotel , stayed in the guest house, single room, .room smaller than a jail cell, very tatty ,down stairs in the basement , absolutely minimum facilities, paid £75 the night before for hotel in Glenrothes , what a difference their was .Hotels like this , do not do credit to the great and lovely city that glasgow is !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was very disappointed in the room we stayed in here. It was on the basement level and felt bleak and dated, dingy and depressing. Barely enough room to walk around, dated and shabby décor, stuffy and nearly airless. Tiny full sized bed. The window in our room only opened a crack of a few inches but I guess that is ok considering we were on the basement level so unless we had the drapes pulled, anyone walking by could see into our room. The bathroom was big but the shower was almost too confusing to figure out. At one point the water was so scalding, I nearly burned my feet on the tub floor. Neither my husband nor I could figure it out. Fortunately the bathroom window opened wide so we could get some air in the room but who would leave it open when people are walking by all day even though the window is frosted glass? The breakfast was lousy....my husband's scrambled eggs were like liquid. They did however make him a new plate. The staff was polite and helpful so that is why this place gets the two stars it does...but that is all. Very far from the center of Glasgow, neighborhood just ok..... This was one of three B&B's we stayed in during our week in Scotland and was absolutely the one I would never go back to. Very disappointing indeed. Had we booked more than two nights, I most certainly would have complained but it was the end of our trip and I didn't have the energy. They really need to put some money into this place. Ceiling fans are needed in the basement rooms at least. And definitely need to update the rugs and overall décor. Ick.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank charlottebea
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

stayed there for one night in june 2014 the staff were very helpful and the room was clean and breakfast was lovely too,paid a reasonable price for room not too far away Lisa from say the city you could get bus right outside hotel or the lovely staff would call u a cab would definitely recommend this guest house its lovely .

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank katie85scotland
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed as a couple for 2 nights in April. Our room was located in the annex (guest house) across the road from the main hotel. Room was dated and in need of modernising but was clean and had the basic things expected. Beds were average, shower was clean but not very powerful. Room was cleaned through the day.

Reception staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Parking: costs £4 per week day for a permit (from the hotel reception) for the road outside the hotel and there were plenty of spaces. Weekend parking is free.

Location: 20 minute walk to the city centre, 20 mins to Kelvingrove Museum. There were still plenty of pubs/bars and places for food nearby.

Overall we had a pleasant stay in a basic hotel, but for the price that we paid we were satisfied.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple