“Absolutely Fabulous!!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We had a one night stay here and were extremely impressed. Our room was the old 'billiard room' - fitted out with kitchen, bathroom and a huge family room with two double beds and a single bed. We had a lovely big TV with beautiful furniture - just what we needed after three weeks on the go through Europe and England.

Situated literally across the road from the Botanic gardens, shops across the road and free on-site parking. We enjoyed take away dinner in the comfort of our 'suite' and slept like babies. Fabulous!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Breakfast really okay, but room not overly nice. The towels and bedlinnen did not smell too good, the window was wett all the time. The bathroom should have been cleaner. A nice thing was the fridge in the room and free WiFi. The subway station is about 15 minutes away by foot. The botanic garden is real close to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 13 July 2011

the hotel is easy to find and well located the beds and the room was comfortable the breakfast was excellent,but it was let down by staffing problems which left us with no milk,no loo rollsand an unmade bed for one day.one staff member (jean)was the best asset to this hotel and is run ragged trying to fix everything.good points are the food,nice beds friendly staff, bads points to much diy in bathrooms, drawers falling to bits,no attention to detail and if you value your car dont use the car park it is the pits to get to and from!!

Room Tip: choose low floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I stayed there for a night in July, 2011 with my parents while we driving through Scotland.
It was a lovely huge room and it was clean and nice. The location is lovely. we walked through and went to botanical gardens, saw all the beautiful churches.

Will definately stay there again. Glasgow is a beautiful city.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I was looking forward to staying here after seeing the previous reviews. Whilst it was ok, I think I'd try somewhere else next time. It is in a very good location though, just up the road from the bridge over the River Kelvin and not far from Byers Road, about 5-10 mins walk, that's all, so the location is quite nice. The breakfasts were ok as well, apart from burnt toast the first morning. It is nicely furnished. The walls are a bit thin so you can hear people even turning the tap on in the room next door but I don't suppose there's a lot they can do about that. Beds are comfortable and clean. The room cleaning needs attention though based on my experience, mine wasn't done once during my stay. Towels were hung up and the bin emptied but no cleaning or vacuuming done for some reason, I'm not sure why as no one else seemed to mention this. I could tell the bathroom hadn't been done because the sink looked exactly the same as leaving it that morning and the shower was grubby. So...who knows.

It's nice and quiet at night to sleep, the view out of the window onto someone else's roof wasn't great but then how much time do you spend looking out of the window.

They do have WiFi as well.

Apart from that it's ok and it's quite good value but as I said I wouldn't rush back and would probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Yes, this was my second stay (first last September) on my son's recommendation, and again I found the hotel to be welcoming, friendly, nice-looking, spotless, and the bedroom itself equally so. The manageress is always helpful and friendly and makes you feel welcome. this is a characteristic of everyone I encountered in Glasgow: I come from the cold, reserved South and am always amazed by Glaswegians. they help you with your bags and make cheerful remarks. The location of the Ambassador Hotel is perfect, just by the Botanic Gardens, which are lovely, with the river running by, and good shops nearby in Byers Road. There are also buses and Hillhead tube station conveniently near. The hotel is in a peaceful road amd the view from front rooms is towards Kelvinside Walk with many fine tall trees. Breakfast is delicious and nicely served in a delightful dining room. I shall certainly book again whenever I come to Glasgow. Thank you for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: No, or I might not get the rooms I like best!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We needed a comfortable, clean and inexpensive B&B in the heart of the West End and found this after phoning round a few other places which were full. Assuming we were allocated one of the last remaining rooms, we made our way up to the attic. At the top of the stairs we discovered our twin room was pristinely clean and laid out with the essential tea and biscuits. Top notch! View out of the window on to slates was less than inspiring, but for £30 each we weren't complaining. The smell of the kitchen effluent in the morning was, for two vegetarians, horrible - then again, some people get off on the smell of burnt pig-flesh! I wonder if the extraction fan fed straight into our room...

Breakfast was lovely and the staff were not only accomodating, they were 3-star-tastic. Dunno what the Americans made of the waitress's top drawer Maryhill banter, but we loved it.

We'll be back. Bank on it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river/trees.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple