“Lovely wee place!”

Ranked #57 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely wee place!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here on my own and felt very safe! the room was small but clean and had everything i needed plus more! (a fridge) The receptionist was good and got the keys to my room with no hassle or fuss, the night porter was very helpful as he helped me get a taxi to where i needed to be! was only £45.00 for the night stay and close to the City Centre! would stay here again and have recommended it to friends!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Chezza G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is in a lovely leafy area of Glasgow. Very pleasant gentleman checked us in. The rooms were clean and had everything you would need. This hotel was very inexpensive! Enjoyed the lovely cooked breakfast! We stayed one night, highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank loveUllapool
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I'd read the reviews before we stayed and there was much reference to room 17 being not so good. I'd forgotten to say we didn't want that room so when we arrived I was horrified to find that it was the last room left. What monsters lurked in that room? I mentioned it to the lady and she scoffed at those reviews.
Generally she was right. It's an OK room, the only negative being the wall outside the window so there is little view. The mattress (mentioned by others) had been replaced with a good one. The room was clean, the shower small but good enough once you figured it out. The cleaning staff were friendly. Most importantly I'm a poor sleeper and it's a quiet room (once you turn off the fridge).
The Ambassador itself is nice enough, a bit aged perhaps but we like old places as long as they aren't too noisy or firetraps. We didn't eat breakfast there so no comment but it looked good through the windows as we walked past.
We'd probably stay there again if we had a reason to be in West End, but would inquire if any of the front rooms (more expensive I think) were available, as they would have views across to the greenery across the road.

Room Tip: Consider a front room for the extra cost. If you get room 17 don't worry it's OK.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank passdeplate
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

So firstly to put my review in context I'm a Glaswegian born and bred, but I have lived away for 14 years. My family all still live in the West End and when it came time to take my partner for his 1st trip North I knew the vibrant West End was the place to be.
I've often passed this hotel/SC apartments and it's never failed to look well maintained and clean from the outside.
Upon arrival service from the staff couldn't have been more courteuos or efficient.
We have a self catering apartment, the hotel was full booked, and it was a large sized room as I'd have expected from this size of the building, with a large shower room/toilet, kitchen, dining table etc.
All incredibly clean!

As for location you can't do better.....all the amenities of the west end and transport links a plenty to access all of Glasgow and indeed Scotland.

Very impressed with the value for money.
Yes...it's not 100% the most modern neither I nor my partner could fault it.

Will be booking again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blondiegirl007
Luton
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed at the Ambassador Hotel for three nights in September.
The hotel is in a perfect location in the west end and is within walking distance of all the restaurants and pubs. It is also near public transport including the subway.
I felt very welcome by the hotel staff and the room was comfortable
I would recommend the Ambassador Hotel if you were to visit this part of Glasgow.
John

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lovelite
tucson
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Pleasant spot, lovely staff and the building itself is clean and modernized if only they would take the extra step. I had a small room, more like a long closet with a window that looked out onto the street and although the room was comfortable the bed was not. The mattress sagged in the center and as it was a twin mattress there was no where to roll to to avoid the sag. The other issue was the bathroom. Clean and modern with a demand hot water in the shower but you couldn't turn on the light without a very noisy fan running as well and because of the narrow room to open the bath door meant blocking the entry completely which was quite awkward. Breakfast was fine, cooked to order but the coffee came out of a dispensing machine, something that always makes me nervous as one doesn't really know how clean it is.
All in all I am sure there are better spots to stay but for the money its in a good location and as I said the staff is great so if you don't mind a bit of discomfort this is a great place to stay when in west Glasgow.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bjw1953
robertmcq, Owner at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
We are sorry your stay at the Ambassador was not as good as you had hoped. We have replaced the bed, if you had spoken to reception while you were here we do have a stock of mattresses and it could have been changed immediately, we do rely on guest's to report these things to us so that we can take some action. The reason there is a fan running in the bathroom when the light is on is because there is no window in the bathroom and regulations demand that bathroom's are ventilated, we will however check to see if it needs replaced. We do however take exception to your comment about the coffee machine, as you remarked the hotel and room etc were clean, the same applies to our cofffee machine, it is run through its cleaning cycle each morning after breakfast, if it is not cleaned properly it will stop working, we pride ourselves on our standards and that applies across the board, including breakfast routines. The staff appreciate the kind comments with reference to them.
Preston
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We paid a fleeting visit to Glasgow and booked the Ambassador as previous experience proved very comfortable indeed.
On this occasion we had been upgraded to the apartments next door. Apt 9 was very big with a double and single bed quite close together then a 3 piece suite and a dinning area under a huge bay window overlooking the river. The bathroom was very clean but really needed a better shower.
We didn't use the kitchen facilities but you could quite easily self cater here there seemed to be everything you would need.
Breakfast was available in the main hotel but we didn't have it on this visit.
Sleep quality was a bit disappointing as our mattress was very hard and past its best.
Same friendly service as always. We will stay again and as I informed the receptionist, I hope the mattress will have been replaced with something more comfortable.
In short if you want a great little hotel close to West End shops and bars this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family