“Do not stay here!!!!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I were in Glasgow for our granddaughter's wedding. We need one room for one night on July 9, 2014. I booked the room on their site on July 7. We were staying close by so we stopped in the day before just to make sure they had the reservation. We were told that they had us booked for two rooms. I told them we only booked one room and that we had received only one confirmation. The owner was standing there and told us in no uncertain terms that we would be charged for two rooms unless he could book the room with another guest. He said that their cancellation policy was 48 hrs (this was approx. 36 hrs before we needed the room and only about 12 hrs after I booked it). We checked in on the 9th, took only one key and signed for only one room. I told them that if they charged us for two rooms, we would dispute it with our credit card company and that I would think their reputation would be worth more than the cost of a room as I would write a negative review. I waited until we got back to the States to check our statement and they indeed charged us for two rooms. The owner and his receptionist were not friendly or welcoming at all. The hotel was not fully booked for that night in question so we did not keep them from renting a room. In their defense, the hotel was a nice, quaint small old hotel in a nice quiet location and very convenient to the west end. I would not recommend staying at this hotel!!!!!! This entire episode leaves us with a feeling that this is a scam operation. In 46 years of marriage this is a first for us to dispute a charge. The owner owns several hotels in the area and I would NOT stay in any establishment he owns.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank jjohnston2014
robertmcq, Owner at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

In the first instance the mistake was made by yourselves, not us, we received bookings for 2 rooms in the correct format as we usually receive them, these were then processed onto our system on the 7th July, in the late afternoon of the 8th you arrived at the hotel at which point you stated that you had only booked 1 room, you were informed that no you had in fact booked 2, you were quite adamant that you only received 1 confirmation email, however we had received 2 full bookings, and after querying with our Channel Manager they confirmed that 2 rooms had been booked. At the time you were informed that if we managed to resell 1 of the rooms you would not be charged, however if we did not resell it you would be charged for both rooms, but on check in you would be given both sets of keys, and if the room was resold after that we would request the key back from you, at this time that left us with approximately 22hrs to resell, allowing for overnight this really on left 14hrs. When you arrived next day you were informed that the room had not been resold and that you would be charged for both rooms, at that point you stated you would sign for one set of keys and one only and if we tried to charge you for both rooms you would put a negative review on Tripadvisor and ask your credit card company to do a chargeback, this amounts to blackmail, the mistake was yours not ours. The statement regarding both myself and the receptionist not being friendly is unfounded, the day before check in you received the same welcome as anyone else, when you arrived to check in again you received a perfectly acceptable welcome, however as soon as you were informed that you would need to pay for both rooms the mood changed, when my staff are met with an obstreporous guest then they will respond in kind. The length of time you have been married has absolutely nothing to do with the hotel or my business and I have no idea why you felt it necessary to include this piece of useless information in the review. I strenuously object to the remark about this being a scam operation, I have been in the hotel business in the West End of Glasgow for 30 years and I can assure you my dealings are 100% honest in all aspects of the business. The statement you made about not staying in any McQuade hotel again is stupid I own 6 hotels in the city and you only stayed in 1 of them for 1 night. I am glad you have decided not to stay again as we would not want you to, so please do not book again. Over the years we have consistently attained a 98% customer satisfaction ratio, and I am sure we will continue to do so. To recap, you made a mistaqke with your booking, we did our best to resell, but we are being held to account for it, by the means of blackmail using Tripadvisor and the credit card company. I will not be blackmailed for what is our standard practice regarding cancellation policy.

There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Booked this hotel last minute for commonwealth games , so understood that the price was going to be more expensive than usual . £150 for one night no breakfast!!. The room was dated .Bathroom was tiny and shower was from the 70's. Im really not one for complaining and have stayed in a lot of hotels , but this one was not worth the price at all. The bed & pillows were cheap uncomfortable .You need new pillows!!If you turned the hot water on as the room next door did at about 4 in the morning the pipe work creaked and moaned for ages afterwards. Im so sorry to write this review to your business because it is in a lovely spot and is lovely on the outside, but it really needs new everything !! would'nt stay again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deniseleverton
robertmcq, Owner at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

As you remarked at the beginning of your review compared to most of the hotels in Glasgow our prices for the period of the Commonwealth Games were very reasonable in comparison, however the £150 you paid is not what the hotel received as you booked through an agent who charges commission, so we received considerably less than that. I can assure you that our beds and pillows are not cheap, we had had many compliments over the years regarding our beds and how comfortable they are, mainly because we look after our mattresses, they are turned monthly on a rotational basis so that wear is even, our pillows are Dunlopillo Hotel Grade, our MD Mr McQuade Snr, even has the same pillows stored at the hotel he visits in Tenerife, 4 or 5 times a year. With regards to the noise from the water pipes, this is an old building (130yrs) and unfortunately we do experience some noise from the pipes, even in a modern hotel building there will always be noise of some kind, we are finding more and more guest's expect the hotel to be very quiet, the number of bookings we get asking for quiet rooms is phenomenal, if we gave everyone who asked a quiet room they would all be sharing one of the rooms on the top floor. We are sorry that you would not want to stay at the Ambassador again, we do like to have guest's return to us, the number of regulars we have grows each year, some of our guest#s have been returning for 20 years and feel at home here.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Normally stay in a hotel when we visit Glasgow but this time decided to try the Ambassador Apartments. First thing to say is the location is great just a short walk to Byers Road and the Subway. We stayed in Apartment 1 and it was excellent.Good sized Room with en suite. The high ceilings make this a really airy room and a very comfortable bed added to the weekend. It is not 4 star but really good. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tc1004
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Although the hotel was very well situated for buses, tourist bus stop, botanical gardens (stunning place to visit) the staff member who was at the desk at the time of our arrival was to say the least the most unwelcoming receptionist I have ever met. He didnt welcome us at all as visitors and more or less immediately asked for payment. I asked to see the room and this he agreed to. The receptionist staff never offered a hello or did you have a good day at all during our whole stay. When we rang the bell on the reception desk one time the receptionist looked angry that we had disturbed her. The hotel has a few outside tables mainly we thought for smokers but we had to clean the table before sitting down. when we asked for a cloth in which to clean it the staff member did not offer to clean it. Just feel that it would have been a more pleasant stay if receptionist staff could be more welcoming and friendly towards guests.

Room Tip: the front of the hotel can be very noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

We are sorry that you were not made to feel welcome by the member of staff on duty when you checked in, following from your comments each member of staff is now undergoing a performance review and where necessary further training will be provided. However with regard to asking for payment, our policy for the last 20 years has been payment on arrival, 99% of guest's have no problem with this, the 1% usually ask to see the room first and that is not a problem, we immediately show them whichever room they have been allocated, and when they are satisfied with the room they are more than happy to then pay. The tables and chairs outside are for the use of any guest not necessarily smoker's, we have on occasion had some guest's who had their breakfast out there when the weather has been good. However if the tables had not been cleaned that day, the member of staff concerned should have asked you to wait a moment and they then should have wiped down the tables and chairs for you. We are always happy to have constructive feedback from guest's if it helps us provide a better service. Hopefully we may see you again in on the the McQuade hotels.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel is good for 3 stars. Very clean and hotel staff very friendly and breakfast was fabulous.
The manager greeted us on our arrival asked about breakfast and we were asked if we could make a quick decision to tell them if we wished breakfast, as they would have to get extra staff in, decided that we would. on leaving we were charged for breakfast we never had as they had set a place for all in the room to have breakfast..this rule was never explained to us when we said we would all have breakfast. The manager was very very discourteous and really not pleasant.

Very dissatisfied with the management the way she spoke to staff within guests ear shot was appalling, degrading for the staff member...her actions and way of working alone will mean that i will not book at this hotel chain again.

Very unhappy with my stay here

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lorna871
robertmcq, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

On arrival you were informed that breakfast could be added at a cost of £8 each, when you enquired as to how soon we needed to know, I remarked that as soon as possible would be good, but I did not stress that it had to be immediately, you said you would go straight upstairs and call your sister, at no time did it seem to me that you felt under pressure, shortly thereafter you confirmed that yes you would add breakfast each day. On the day of your departure we had another busy breakfast, and by 9am we were only waiting for your party, although some people were still sitting in the dining room, we had reset a 4 top table a number of times to make sure there was space for you, and what pre cooking we do was done fresh at 9am again to make sure we were ready for you. As I was not in the kitchen at the time I am not aware of what time you actually came to breakfast, it was not until after breakfast was over that I was told that only 3 of you had made it down.
Whether the breakfast is paid for at check in or check out, if 2,3 or 4 are booked but only 1,2 or 3 come to breakfast then the charge stands, we do not know that someone is not going to come and therefore we prepare according to the numbers we have.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We recently stayed here for one night. It's a little tricky to find using a GPS, but we eventually got there, parking is difficult on the street in front, but there is a small carpark around the back. This was a last minute booking, and we were pleasantly surprised. The outlook of the hotel is lovely and inviting. The room (19) was very spacious and had French windows that opened onto a little courtyard, lovely. The room had been recently refurbished, and was done very well. Bedding was comfortable, spotlessly clean, good sized bathroom with walk in shower, which was a bit noisy, but when mentioned to the manager, he said he would have it looked at. Breakfast next door in the adjoining building which can be accessed via the back entrance, was delicious, although the dining room is a little crowded. Cost is well worth it. Staff were pleasant, and the manager was very helpful. Plenty of places close by to eat, and opposite the botanic gardens, so nice and quiet. The hop on/hop off bus stops about 500 meters from the corner of the street. I would recommend this property of anyone going to this area of Glasgow, it was a great find for us.

Room Tip: Don't use Booking.com contact the property direct, it doesn't cost any more.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brayzies
Reviewed 18 May 2014

When I got into the room, the bed was broken. I got moved to a room that far too small. The first room was small but the 2nd room was like staying in a cupboard! There was bleach stains on the carpet, hole in shower room roof that was stuffed with news paper. Lovely building from the outside but I've never paid to stay in a hotel like that before and won't be again. Staff nice but that doesn't reflect the price I paid. I won't be back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank 1408MaggieM
robertmcq, Owner at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

With regard to the broken bed, as soon as the manager was aware of the problem you were moved to another room, unfortunately the hotel was busy and there was only 1 room available, it is unfortunate that this room was smaller than the room you should have been in, however you were only in the smaller room for 1 night as the broken bed was replaced the next day and you moved back into that room. The hole in the shower ceiling is not in fact a hole, it is a drain duct, specifically put in that position so if there were any problems with leaks etc it would drain into the shower. We do agree there are bleach stains on the carpet, and we apologise for that, a new carpet is on order and will be fitted shortly.