Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross) Hotel
Ranked #49 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Nairn, Scotland
“Mmmmm!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Generally this is my first choice of hotel to stay in Glasgow when I visit as the location is excellent for the theatre, shops & the Mitchell Library as I am doing research for my family tree and this hotel is the closest there is. I know I usually tend to book when the rates are low as I can usually pick and choose when I wish to stay. I was so looking forward to returning as my previous stays have been excellent and the staff so accommodating. This time as my title says, mmm!, there was just something, generally in the past on asking for an iron and ironing board the response is "yes of course, we'll get one right up to you". This time I asked for an iron and ironing board, the response was "do you want it right now?", as though it was a bother.
I also found the breakfast staff a tad mmmm!, not as friendly as others used to be. It just didn't feel as friendly as it has done in the past. Of course I did notice that this time round most of the staff were totally different throughout the hotel, except for one or two at the breakfast service, not sure why. I feel a tad perturbed as I had intended eating in the restaurant during my stay but due to how I felt about it I decided against it and ate out for the 4 nights I stayed, I was on the 9th floor which I don't mind as I like a good view and this is something this hotel has going for it, the views from the higher floors are excellent. I have to say that this time I noticed that the room does seem a tad dated...I was wondering if perchance this is because there is new P.I., opened at the other end of Sauchiehall Street and therefore this one is kind of the Cinderella of the outfit now...Sorry if that sounds bad but the thought is there.
I found the housekeeping lady on my floor very helpful and friendly, also the gentleman on reception on the night I asked for extra teabags very nice and chatty.
I actually love this hotel on general and feel quite upset that it didn't quite live up to my usual standards.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are terrific for views, also corner rooms are slightly larger, also if your travelling...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank chilledout55
Jamie C, Manager at Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross) Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thanks for your review of our hotel. It is great to hear that we are usually your first choice of hotel, however not so good to hear that things weren't quite as good as usual. We will be sure to pick up your points with the Team in our regular meetings and if you would like to share any further feedback please feel free to get in contact. We hope that this unfortunate incident has not dissuaded you from using us again whilst you research the history of your family tree.
Thanks again for your review and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back on your next visit to Glasgow.

Jamie Cattigan
Operations Manager
operationsmanager.glasgowcharingcross@whitbread.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Polish first
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Hotel room was spotlessly clean. I had a room on the 8th floor with a great view over Glasgow. Staff were really lovely particularly Caroline in the restaurant who was just so helpful friendly, and extremely professional- a credit to the hotel . The food in thyme exceeded my expectations . I will certainly stay again when I'm next in Glasgow .

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank UkDarcie
Ballymena, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night with family member in 2twin rooms
Rooms clean but bathrooms didn't have working soap dispensers and the bar didn't have Drambuie in stock"...........disgraceful.......... meaning I had to drink whiskey and end up with the mother of all headaches the next day
The staff were really pleasant though!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank John K
Thanks for your feedback. At Premier Inn we endeavour to offer the best value quality stay. We are glad to see that you found our rooms to be clean and our Team to be really pleasant, they will be happy to hear this! We will be sure to get our Maintenance Team to check over the soap dispensers and be sure to get the Drambuie stocks built up for your next visit.

Once again thank you for your review, we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here last week as we were going to the theatre and it was so handy,we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel as we had never stayed in a premier inn before,we were on the eighth floor and the view over Glasgow was stunning.the bed was huge could have slept four,the room was spotless and staff were friendly.there was a good variety at breakfast and was good quality.
Overall good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side have the best views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank catthiew
Thanks for your review of Glasgow City Charing Cross Premier Inn. It is great that our clean hotel, helpful friendly staff and facilities met your expectations and that the big beds made your stay a comfortable one. We endeavour to deliver the highest level of service in all our establishments and your feedback helps us focus on doing this. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn on your next trip to Glasgow!
Galashiels, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I'd actually score this at three and a half if you could give half marks. We stayed here because it was convenient (ish) for SECC. Spent two nights in a family room with our two boys. I've certainly had bigger rooms at premier inn but it was certainly clean enough.

The hotel itself is a high rise block which isn't terribly attractive and with low ceilings inside can be a little claustrophobic. Probably could do with a bit of a facelift. Having said that, it was certainly pretty good value for a stay in Glasgow.

We ate in the restaurant one night and it was fine, although they'd run out of a few things which was disappointing. I got the feeling they were missing some staff too.

Breakfast was good, the typical premier inn fayre.

Staff were all really pleasant and helpful.

Parking available in NCP next door at a price.

Would consider again but maybe also look at other premier inns as there are a few in Glasgow.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Hawklord_pxr5
Kyiv, Kyyivs'ka Oblast', Ukraine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Disadvantages:
Wouldn’t stay here again.
- It felt like a huge assembly line, where you are an insignificant screw.
- The personnel on the night shift is atrocious, talking to them was little different from taking to robots.
- In the evening there are many questionable characters in the lobby and in the lifts.
- The worst thing: I got sick after spending one night under their air conditioning system. I felt sore for about a week. In case you didn’t think it was a coincidence, my husband also felt under the weather on the first morning, but he managed to recover faster.
- The room was so small: forget all swinging (no cats, no dogs etc.).
- It was a rolling bed (there were rolls attached to the legs), so whenever you leaned against it, it started moving, which on several occasions almost led to an accident.
- Wi-Fi was free only the first 30 minutes. Such generosity – lost for words. They offer it for free in the cheapest of hotels now.
Advantages:
- in the city centre
- right above the train station
- good breakfast at the Brewer’s Fayre
- apart from the air conditioning and the racing bed, the sleep quality was good
- check-out is at 12 noon
Final grade: C-------

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Anna_I_23
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross) Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed last week in this hotel and had a room on the 7th floor with views over Glasgow. It was a good experience, the staff, young, friendly and helpful. Room was clean and comfortable and it is ideally situated right next to Charing Cross Station for a quick (2 minute ride9 into the City Centre, Queen Street Station. £ 1.50 off peak return. Buses to the north west run past on Bath Street and one street up, Sauchihall St. the buses run into the centre. Ideally situated right next to the motorway and also for parking.
With Premier Inns in my 20 year experience, you get what you pay for and a guaranteed good nights sleep.
The downside is, that if coming from Glasgow Airport on the express bus, you are dropped off quite a way down from the hotel and the walk up Pitt Street is quite steep and tiring with baggage. On my return I took a taxi to the airport and it cost £19.80 one way. Worth it.
I ate in the Thyme restaurant within the hotel. the full breakfast is very heavy on the fat, fried sausage, bacon, hash browns, tomato and mushrooms plus a fried egg or as an alternative scrambled egg. Otherwise the Light breakfast was excellent, especially the freshly made porridge. In the evening, most menus seemed to be served with french fries but the food is freshly cooked and value but certainly not to eat for nights at a time. There are hundreds of eateries in the area so the choice is great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo