Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross) Hotel
US$181
US$159
Priceline
2,452 results
All reviewskings theatremitchell librarycity centresauchiehall streettrain stationcar park next doorcorner roommeal dealbudget hotelgood nights sleepreception staffstayed here for two nightstwin roomnight's sleepwould stay againcomfy bedwest end
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I spent a weekend in Glasgow for my birthday, having looked through Booking.com I decided to try The Premier Inn Charing Cross.
On Arrival the hotel doesn’t look like much, its an old building and looks like an office block and not a hotel. Check in was fast and the woman at reception was nice and friendly. The Price per night that I paid was £45 and at reception it was advertised as £59 so I got a fair enough deal. The woman asked me what floor we would like and we ended up right at the top with a fantastic view of sauchiehall street and Bath Street below.
My first impression of the room was OMG this is tiny, it was more a double room for one person rather than two. There was only one beside table, one chair and to get to the side of the bed beside the window I sort of had to climb over the bed. But I was on a budget so it worked out fine, I was happy enough with the room.
When I wanted to use my laptop I had to sit at the small desk and it made it hard to watch the TV at the same time. The lack of sockets was annoying. There was a nice big windowsill that was big enough to hold a laptop but there was only one socket for the TV. There were no sockets behind the bed so the only ones were over at the desk. When we were watching movies on the laptop we either had to pull the bed over to the desk or watch part in bed and charge the laptop up half way through.
The only downside to the bathroom was the bath was dangerously slippery, I couldn’t enjoy my shower because I was afraid I would slip. I liked that they supplied shower gel/shampoo which saves on carrying bottles. If you forget anything you can purchase male/female travel kits at reception.
After arriving I discovered the 747 bus from Glasgow Airport – Buchanan Bus station stopped right outside. So if you are going from The Airport straight to the hotel get the 747 (don’t make a mistake and get the 757 as that doesn’t go near it)

I didn’t eat in the restaurant but there was a breakfast menu in the room and it seemed good, they had vegetarian sausage’s if you wanted a hot breakfast. If you required Soy milk that was available and the non hot breakfast seemed to be healthy enough, granola, Yeo Valley organic yoghurt and porridge, the thing that surprised me about the breakfast was they offered Costa Coffee. The breakfast was £7.95 for all you can eat.
There were a couple of days I stayed in the room and left a Do Not Disturb sign on the door and housekeeping never bothered us. I have stayed in other hotels where they just walked in, once I was just out of the shower and getting dressed.

Would I go back? I am going back next month, £89 for 3 nights is not to be missed.

SOME OF THE PRO’S OF THE ROOM.
* Clean.
* Good storage space.
* Friendly staff.
* Air Conditioning
* Freeview TV

NOW THE CON’S
* Small.
* Not great sound proofing between rooms.
* The bath is very slippery.
* No safe and nowhere to put a laptop securely.
* The WIFI was very expensive.
* Lots of dust on the dressing table mirror, desk lamp, back of TV and the worst place was on top of the wardrobe (I left my laptop there so it was out of site)
* The walk to/from Buchanan Street / Galleries and Central station is a bit of a trek.
* Slamming doors from other rooms.

Reviewed 4 June 2009

Myself and my girlfriend decided to stay here for a long weekend in May 2009 for her Birthday, we wanted to spend time in Glasgow and see some attractions. We booked this hotel as when searching Hotels on Booking.com this came up the best price out of the many Central located hotels nearby. We got a very good deal for our Standard Double room so we decided to go ahead with it. We checked in roughly about 1.30 in the afternoon. Check in was easy and fast and with no confusion. The girl that checked us in was friendly and welcoming and asked us what floor we would like to be on ( the Hotel has 12 floors ) we decided to take a room on the 12th floor as we wanted a good view of the City, and that is exactly what we got. Our room had an amazing view which looked over onto Charing Cross and much of Sauchiehall Street, one of Glasgow's most busiest shopping streets.

My first impression of the room was that it was small, I have stayed in bigger Standard Double rooms before, but the size didn’t bother me too much and considering the price of the room and what we got it for, I wouldn’t complain. It is small, standard and clean- that was my very first impression. Our room had a good sized double bed, of course facing our view of the City which was nice. On my side of the bed there was a small bedside table, however only one and not two. Opposite our bed we had a lovely new Plasma Philips TV which had all the good free view channels. Directly opposite our bed was a large horrible print of what looked like purple balls over a yellow horizon. The print was not nice, and I wouldn’t say that it was very nice to look at either, I was tempted many of times to take it off the wall as sometimes I found myself just staring into it. I have stayed in Hotels before which had some lovely prints of flowers or even Photography of attractions in the city, but this was just odd. It would have been better if the new Plasma TV covered this wall instead. Our bedroom also came with a table and dressing mirror and one chair, again just one which was frustrating when using our laptop, I often had to wheel the double bed closer to see the screen. The room did have plenty of storage space, a wardrobe with shelves and the bedside table had a deep drawer too. The room did not a safe which was confusing considering that The Premier Inn is a large chain hotel and you would expect a large hotel in the centre of Glasgow to have a safe. I would like to see them investing for safes for all of the rooms within the future as there was nowhere to hide or secure your valuables. When leaving the room, we had to hide the laptop each time in case it was stolen. The room itself has two mirrors, one dressing mirror and one full length mirror for getting dressed. Underneath the wardrobe there was a little waste bin, but we often had to use plastic bags to put our rubbish in as the bin was far too small and had no lid. Because the room was quite small, the was of course limited space for tables; we did have our main dressing table which we sat our laptop on and magazines, newspapers etc. However, there was no space for us to sit our drinks or place our food if we decided to eat in the room, leaving us to place our food on the window still. We did buy a lot of food as we decided not to have breakfast, but instead buy our own food and eat in the room, it would have been nice maybe if they had a small fridge in each room or cabinet. Each room had tea and coffee making facilities. Each day we were given two small sachets of Kenco coffee and Twinning’s tea, with sugars and creamers which was nice to wake up to. The very best part of having this room was by far the fantastic Air conditioning seeing as being on the 12th floor; we were not allowed to fully open our windows for Health and Safety reasons. The Air conditioning was great as the weekend we stayed in Glasgow, the sun didn’t stop shining and sometimes the heat makes me irritated. Coming back to the nice cool room within the hot afternoon was a luxury. Our room, I would not say had sound proof walls as I could often hear our next door neighbours and the doors out in the hallway would often slam. Overall, the room was Standard, I suppose I would have liked the room to be a little bigger, but again considering the price, we did get a good deal.

The En suite bathroom was standard. It had a Bath/ Shower which was nice. I liked coming back and having a bath. The bath itself was quite slippery. To anyone that may be staying here, please be very careful getting in and out; make sure you hold onto the side bars. It would have been better if they supplied each room with a shower mat to help prevent accidents. Behind the bath/shower was a towel rack where you could hang out your old towels. The en suit bathroom had a sink, small shelf for holding your toiletries. The en suite bathroom was a standard size, but it was kept very clean. The hotel offered those travellers who perhaps came without toiletries, a toiletry bag each for man and a woman, each contained basic essentials. You could buy these from the reception staff at the ground floor in case you forgot anything. In the bath/ shower there was also Lux shower gel which was handy in case you forgot your own shower gel. The only part of the bathroom that I didn’t like and it sounds petty, but was in fact the toilet handle. I am not sure but is this not becoming a thing of the past? I am in no way complaining about this, I just think pretty much everywhere now has either an automatic flush or the environmental approach which is the button. Maybe this could be something the Hotel could have in the future, it’s a good way to save water and also look a little more modern. Usually this is something I find many WC's within mainland Europe have, the UK don’t appear to be adapting to this yet? Anyway, it was just a suggestion. Also, to women (or men) that like to use a hairdryer and are fussy about styling your hair, I would recommend bringing your own hairdryer. The hairdryer which was in the bedroom itself, in a drawer was very small and had very little power. I would say it was mainly designed for shorter hair. The bathroom was clean a standard.

When booking the Premier Inn a Charing Cross, we decided not to bother having any breakfast seeing as there is an additional price, we decided to go out for ours or eat in the room. However, I would actually highly advise anyone staying here to opt for the Breakfast selection as it sounded very good. Another bonus is that, if you’re travelling with children and teenagers up to the age of 16, they can eat for free. Breakfast sounded plentiful and delicious. You could choose from a traditional English cooked breakfast (with vegetarian options) or a European Continental Breakfast. Here is the list of the Continental options. Kellogg’s cereal (with soya available) Granola, Porridge, Bread/toast, Croissants, Muffins, Fresh fruit salad, yeo valley yogurts, Costa Coffee / Twinning’s tea. So you do have some very tasty options. I believe the Breakfast room could be found under Reception at Ground Floor.
Upon heading back to our room, we would find that the cleaning services would have been in. I would say that the cleaning services were standard. I don’t believe that our room was hovered once, or dusted. We would often still find some crumbs on the floor and there was a lot of dust behind the new TV. My Girlfriend also left her shirt in the en-suite bathroom and when we arrived back, she found bleach on her shirt which was strange. Also her face cloth also smelt of bleach? We did not make a complaint about this, but to those of you staying here, please remember to leave your face cloth or any clothes you might have left in the bathroom back into your case or bag. Our bed was made when we arrived back; also we were given fresh new towels and new sachets of Coffee and Tea. I have stayed in Hotels where they don’t offer any ‘Do not disturb’ signs which can often be a nuisance. I liked the fact that we were provided with this sign, it gave us the chance to have long lie ins on Sunday without any disturbance.
The area in which The Premier Inn at Charing Cross is Central, however not within the heart of the City. Those of you who are intending to stay here, I will tell you that the hotel is on a good enough location; however you may have to walk 5-10 to such busy shopping streets as Sauchiehall Street or Buchannan Street. The hotel is located exactly on Charing Cross, which is at the far end of Sauchiehall Street. You are near many local supermarkets, banks, coffee shops, bars and restaurants, also the famous Mitchell Library opposite the Hotel. The good thing about the area of The Premier Inn is that right beside the Hotel there is Charing Cross train station. From here you can easily access the heart of Glasgow without having to walk 5-10 minutes. If you’re looking to perhaps get out of Glasgow for the day, you can reach from Charing Cross train station to Queen Street station which will have train links to Edinburgh and many famous Scottish towns. Also, inside the Hotel there is a free phone Taxi Service which will come almost automatically to the Hotel to pick you up. This is good if you maybe are a first time visitor and want to get to an attraction you find difficult to access by public transport. Taxis are very well priced to any location within the City itself, if you are venturing outside Glasgow by a City Taxi, you might be charged a little more, so keep that in mind.

Overall, I would say that The Premier Inn was a very nice stay, myself and girlfriend had a very enjoyable time and the weather stayed dry. Check-out was simple and is just a case of handing over your key cards, which I can say I did not have a problem with. Many of times using Hotels, I have been irritated by Key cards which stop working randomly. My key card at the Premier Inn worked very well which was a bonus, so no treks back downstairs to fix it. I would recommend this hotel for its value. If any of you are intending to stay here, please do not hesitate to contact me as I live outside Glasgow and work in Glasgow, so I know the City very well if any of you have any questions regarding my review.

Reviewed 4 May 2009

I have just returned from a weekend in Glasgow staying in the premier inn charing cross which i have to say was excellent. The rooms are modern and very clean with a good size bathroom and an LCD tv in the room. The hotel also has a nice bar and restaurant on the first floor. At £45 a night this hotel is good value for money and it is a stones through from Sauchiehall Street with plenty of lively bars. I would recommend staying here if you are in town for the night life or if you just want to be close to the shops as this is hotel offers a prime location.

Reviewed 30 April 2009

Rooms are tiny and rundown, the hotel itself is located in a sleazy area (strip club immediately opposite the entrance). You'd be better off staying at the Premier Inn near George Square which is much better

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2009

My partner and I recently had a one night stay in the Premier Inn, Charing Cross, Glasgow. We have stayed at this hotel many times and always have a comfortable stay. The location of the hotel is great. Right next to the train station and a two minute walk from the bars and clubs of sauchiehall street, It is also a five minute walk the glasgows main shopping areas and is also close the exhibition centre.

Check in was fast and easy and we had no problems. We were given a room on the 10th floor. The room overlooked the west end of glasgow and the motorway. As it was high up it was a great view and was very quiet, The bed was very big and comfortable and the room looked as if it had recently been refurbished, It also had a flat screen tv with freeview and had lots of storage room, The bathroom was also of a high standard. It had a great powerful shower and was very clean. We had a comfy nights sleep with no noise from the corridors and no cleaners banging about in the morning.

We didn't try breakfast in the morning but have had it before. It is just your usual standard fare buffet, nothing special but ok if your hungry.

I would recommend this hotel as a base for clubbing and shopping in Glasgow. It is comfortable and as most of the rooms have recently been refurbished does make the stay even better. One thing I have noticed that if you book on websites such as late rooms you are sometimes allocated one of the smaller rooms which are usually situated on the lower floors. These rooms aren't decorated and feel as comfortable as the standard of the higher floor rooms. Car parking for the hotel is in a multi storey car park just next to the hotel. The rates are not bad for an overnight stay, although it might be expensive to keep your car there all day and night. Overall a stay at the Charing Cross Premier Inn is comfortable and at a great price for a hotel in Glasgow city centre,

What I liked best about my stay - The comfy beds and the view