“Would not stay again”

Brunswick Hotel
Ranked #85 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Would not stay again”
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Well, not sure where to start. We checked in later on on Friday night 27/9/13 for 3 nights and initially the staff were very friendly & told us our room was fairly compact but as we knew we would not spend much time there this didn't really matter to us. When we got to the room it really was tiny with not much space to even put bags but did us for what we wanted. The bathroom was tiny & a bit grubby but the shower was very good. The noise from the downstairs bar was fairly overwhelming but then we were in the middle of Glasgow. Great location.

As we had an early start on the sat we asked if we could have cereal etc & to be honest this was not a problem even though it was 5.30am.

We arrived back late on the sat night again to a vibrant bar downstairs, but the tv did drown the noise out somewhat if you had it loud enough!

Sun morning wasn't so much of an early start so we could experience the delights of breakfast to which was none other than basic, tasteless & generally awful. It was continental with cereal which was fine, croissants which were individually wrapped therefore sweated & was horrible, hard rolls, ham, cheese, cucumber & tomato. There was some yogurts & an apple or banana if wanted! But that was breakfast. Whilst we were having breakfast we noticed there was a "do" on in the hotel that evening so both my husband & I commented about the noise that would be waiting for us. Nothing prepared us for what we would return to the hotel. Baring in mind we left the hotel around 10am, passing staff at least twice nothing also prepared us for the telephone call we received around 12pm (whilst we were on our way to Pitlochry). A staff member called to say that they needed our room for "said Do" & that they could go in & pack our stuff away & move it to a different room. When we explained that we weren't comfortable with that, I really don't think the staff member understood that we did not want that to happen & why did they not say something to us while we was still in the hotel. Of course we would have moved our stuff. They rang my husband back to say they'd sorted a different room for the "do" & that our belongings were stopping in our room for our last night.

When we returned around 10pm, the hotel was very noisy & we noticed flashing lights in rooms upstairs & even going through reception was a struggle. There were lots of people around all dressed up asking if we had name bands to which we quite sternly replied we were staying in the hotel. Once we got to our floor I literally could not believe my eyes. There was so many people in the corridor, noise bellowing from a room adjacent with a notice on our door saying something that was meant to be happening in our room had hanged to a different room. We could not even get to our room door as there was so many people. Once we did get inside, my husband & I could not have a conversation as we could not hear each other. We soon went down to reception to complain that we wanted moving where we were met by an incompetent receptionist with a headset on who simple shrugged her shoulders at us at told us that the "Do" would finish in 1 1/2hours. We really we're not happy and I began to loose my patience. The staff member came who had earlier rang my husband and again shrugged his shoulders & stated he gave us the opportunity to move. He still didn't get that whilst we were not in the hotel when he gave us that opportunity and wouldn't b back till later, we didn't want him or anyone else going through our stuff. I was getting angrier & angrier when a Scottish gentleman came to try and resolve the issue. We we're offered drinks to which we replied we just wanted sleep & moving rooms, to which the gentleman said he would try and sort us a room out in a different hotel. We went back to our room, started packing our things & 10 mins later the gentleman was at our room with drinks & saying he'd found us a room in a different hotel & a staff member took us to the new hotel. This was by now 22.40!

We had a few issues: why on check in was we not told about the "Do" which was incidentally called "Get a room" & told to pay less & find somewhere else for our last night.

Why was we ever allowed to book there anyway being as though we were told they don't normally rent rooms out to "Jo Public" when they have the "Do"on?

And why we're we rung asking if they could move our things to another room at 12pm when we were on a day out & left the hotel around 10am that morning?

We Definitely would not stay at the hotel again but we were very grateful that the Scottish gentleman sorted us a room in another hotel very very quickly indeed. That we could not fault.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emma Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
glasgow
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Booked the penthouse for a meeting & overnight stay. The staff are friendly at reception & bar. The penthouse is large & spacious. However, the place could be doing with a lick of paint to freshen it up as it is a bit grubby close up. For the ££ it was great but I wouldn't go out my way to book it myself.

• Stayed September 2013
Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Ok – I think the first thing I have to say is that I didn't book this hotel. It was booked for me by an organisation I was going to Glasgow for a meeting with. It had been used by them a few times before – as it was a good location – and they use the old Sheriff Courts/Youth theater across the roads for their meetings.
Check in was fine. Quick and no hassle. I was in room 301. Third floor. I went up in the lift. The lift door opened and it was blackness. I stepped out of the lift – rather nervously – and the lights flashed on. I could hardly believe my eyes. Dark scarlet red gloss walls and a matching carpet – with stains on it, I’d not like to think about. There was a door with a massive ‘3’ on it so I opened it – and again – darkness. I stepped in and the small corridor was dark royal blue. It was so dark – I could hardly see the door numbers. I got the door open and into the room I went. It was quite bright and my initial thoughts were – ocht – it’s small – but it’ll do.
It wasn’t till I really looked that I wished I had been staying somewhere else.
The bed was the room. There was about a foot gap between it and the wall. There was no furniture and my chair was a cushion on the window sill.
Everything was pinned on the wall or in an alcove. There was an iron and an ironing board – which did make me chuckle – as my first thought was – where on earth do you put this up?!?!?!
The bed looked nice and clean and the linen was. But when I lay on it – I realised it was 2 beds shoved together and were the most un-comfy mattresses I’ve slept on in years!
Saying all this – the bathroom took the biscuit.
BLACK mould (see pics) TILES OFF THE WALL (see pics) and even wires and a visible junction box behind the lighted up mirror (see pics) – really dangerous if you stuck your hands behind there!!
The bathroom was just AWFUL. There’s no other way of putting it. It was disgusting.
If I had been paying for it myself – I’d have been down there and most likely out of there right away. But – as I wasn’t, and I didn’t really want to cause a fuss – I just kept quiet.
The room was REALLY hot. There was a fan there – but it had about 3” of dust on it.
If you opened the window (which had a dodgy handle) the noise from the street was deafening. If you closed the window – you cooked!
It was like sleeping in a box.
I did sleep a little – but not a comfy night.
In the morning – I had a shower. I wish I hadn’t.
I felt that I would have liked a shower afterwards.
There was an extractor fan in the bathroom – but it didn’t work. Probably the reason for all the mould.
When I came out the bathroom – all the windows in the main room were steamed up.
After I came back from breakfast – the smell of stale dampness was really evident.
I couldn’t wait to get out really.
I took pics to show the folk who had booked the rooms – and they were really shocked. They said they weren’t going to use this place again. They were most apologetic.
Saying that – I was in the reception area – and the chap at reception was talking to folk on the phone – saying they were fully booked then and fully booked this weekend etc… so they’re obviously getting the trade. How much of it is repeat who knows!! It just felt SO POORLY maintained. It was like the hotel was being used as a ‘cash cow’ to make money without injecting some of that money back on making the hotel nice.
It’s the most amazing location. Right in the middle of Merchant City – but in all honesty – I don’t think I would ever stay in this hotel again.
The staff were fine and friendly. No problem there. Just the very very poor condition of the hotel, the lack of maintenance – and shocking condition of the bathroom. You have been warned.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Orcadian1968
Cumbria
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Group of girls travelling to Glasgow for a one night stay - on booking in staff helpful and pleasant, but rooms very small and bathroom was absolutely disgusting - mould all up the walls of the shower cubicle, and dirt in the corners of the rooms. Breakfast was definitely below par and also the cafe bar was grubby and dirty. With a good clean this could be a fab hotel - as staff were lovely and location is very good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrsSB460
Reviewed 15 September 2013

There is precious little to commend this hotel other than it being slightly cheaper than some other city centre hotels. Room was cramped and noisy, public areas horrible and really low budget "continental" breakfast. However, they really let themselves down with failure to take care of the simplest maintenance tasks. Our room had two windows but only one of them had a curtain. The toilet seat was loose and the tiles around the shower were dirty and mouldy.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are noisy because of the ventilation system outside.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian1101
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Greeted by a very friendly receptionist from Lithuania who could not have been more pleasant! This hotel has the feel of an old European theater given it's paint job in the hallways, and could seem sketchy, but the ENTIRE staff there, from the receptionist to those working in the bar/restaurant next door could not have been either more friendly or helpful. It really made it seem like the "go to" place if you need a place for the night in Glasgow. Budget friendly, very small rooms but just overall such a pleasant atmosphere it didn't matter what might be missing, if anything. I definitely would recommend this hotel for those on a budget, wanting a good location in the city of Glasgow, and those who just want to be around good people. Oh, and a free glass of Scotch is offered through the restaurant next door if you stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't have enough information about the rooms to help in this regard except to say that our room...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Isle of Bute, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Brunswick Hotel is by no means a luxury hotel but its quirky charm & friendly staff made our stay more than pleasurable . From the minute we arrived we had a good feel about the place , the staff were welcoming & accommodating & our room was clean & adequately equipped with flat screen tv, tea & coffee making facilities & iron & ironing board. The hotel is in an ideal Merchant City location with all fab bars & restaurants a stones throw away. At night the hotel bar was busy & a dj was playing , there was a great vibe about the place but it meant that there was a fair bit of noise when we returned to our room at night . I would say it is an ideal hotel for a couple but wouldn't recommend for a family . My only negative comment would be that the breakfast was poor , it was a continental breakfast but quality was not good .

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple