“Beware of the ghosts”

Ranked #9 of 294 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Necropolis, Glasgow's Victorian City of the Dead, is a vast and grand cemetery modeled on Père-Lachaise in Paris. Described as one of the most significant cemeteries in Europe, it is a major visitor attraction and patrolled by Park Rangers. Heritage Trail maps are available to guide the visitor to the memorials and tombs of some of Glasgow's most eminent citizens.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I m only joking we didn't really see any. Not that we would have they actually existed :-) great romantic promenade though there are tombs all around , nothing frightening though ;)

1  Thank elenitsaa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,526)

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I have never seen a graveyard so vast, grand with such beautiful stones, monuments and tombs. Breathtaking. I would recommend everyone to visit. As I said it's not just for the morbid people out there like myself ;)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Necropolis is stunning, lovely architecture and so much to see. It's a lovely green space that provides a great walk with some of the best views of Glasgow. There are tours but I just negotiated the place myself. The only down side was that while there taking photos a Council employee approached me to say I couldn't. I am a photographer and was using my DSLR, but in this day and age I doubt that anyone who enters does so without a camera in some shape or form, so why stop anyone? I understand that GCC charge anyone wanting to use the place (and other council premises) for photo-shoots, but it was just 2 of us, I didn't have a team of stylists, make up artists and lighting with me. I hope they don't stop tourists in this way. That aside, it's a lovely place, ornate and really speaks of how the privileged classes saw themselves in life and death.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Whether you are a tourist or just walking your dog, this cemetery is definitely worth a visit. Or if you want a wee work out. Be warned it is beautiful, but all UP HILL!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Visited here right after a tour of the Cathedral right next to it. I realize that an ancient graveyeard might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're at all interested in history and stonemasonry this is a must see. And the nice views of the city is such a bonus!

1  Thank labyrinthguide