“Cafe seems to double as a creche”
Review of Tramway

Tramway
Ranked #21 of 30 Concerts & Shows in Glasgow
Scotland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Cafe seems to double as a creche”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Have visited Tramway a few times but after today I won't return. The cafe is lovely but it's spolied hugely by the amount of pre school children running riot. I've no problem with kids in dining areas and I realise that it's not always easy or possible to have them still for more than 5 minutes. What I encountered was tables of parents who were ignoring the children running a circuit around the cafe when staff are carrying hot drinks around them. I witnessed one customer almost spill a bowl of soup to avoid being hit by the kids. The parents sat smiling. They only intervened when a staff member asked the kids to calm down. At that, the group left. I sat down with my lunch only to discover a small boy had taken a liking to the couch I was on and proceeded to climb over it from the back, jump off and run away. A young girl then approached, leaned her face so far over my food I didn't eat any more of it. I feel thoroughly sorry for the staff who are not only serving with people but supervising their children too. I really hope the parents there today read this and see that they need to consider the other visitors to this venue. There are umpteen signs around asking parents to supervise their kids so this can't be a solitary problem.

1 Thank oakvalebandit

Glasgow
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Normally great staff but manager very rude”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I visit the Tramway Cafe regularly but was so disappointed to encounter such a rude manager during my recent visit. I heard her being snappy and rude to customers. I could hear her telling' off a group of mums that were in for coffee for where their prams were...something about blocking a delivery route and then she came back and have them into 'trouble' for something else. The customer that she was so rude to looked quite embarrassed as the manager spoke to her in a horrible tone. Generally the staff are lovely. I did notice the day the manager was in that the place was filthy which I think would be a much better use of the managers time that embarrassing a new mum having a coffee! Also do not buy the scones that are sat out on top of the counter top as mine was so hard when I cut it in half half of it ended up on the floor. The cakes that look bought in are normally nice...'home baked' cakes are normally hard and tasteless. Chocolates are good though!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank lisa_MP015
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great venue - disappointing café”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We visit Tramway often and while the venue and gardens are impressive and a great way to spend a sunny day, the café is a little disappointing. The food varies in quality: sometimes they have delicious risottos, and a good range of homemade sweet treats. However, service is incredibly slow and the food is not good value for money. On one occasion I waited 20 minutes for toast! The staff are friendly and eager to please, but that can't make up for the slow delivery and frequently unimpressive dishes. If you have a buggy and/or small children and don't mind waiting a while for a cup of coffee, this is a good place to meet up with friends. If you're in a rush however, I wouldn't recommend it.

Visited August 2013
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Do visit The Hidden Gardens at the back of the Tramway”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We first visited the Tramway in 1988 to see its inaugural production, Peter Brooke's Mahabharata. This production was so successful, and the location so ideal for modern theatre, that the decision was made to convert the venue into a 'permanent' theatre. Thank heavens!

It was not until 2004 that we returned. The Hidden Gardens had been established the previous year. The gardens exist 'to promote understanding between people of all cultures, faiths and backgrounds'. This ties in very closely with the aims of the UK Peace Foundation, which we helped set up in 2008.

Last week we stayed in Glasgow, and visited The Hidden Gardens again. We could hardly believe how much it had matured, expanded and evolved over the past nine years. So if you are living in Glasgow, or visiting this remarkable city, and haven't visited these gardens before, I'm sure you will be delighted with them. (I think someone should create a separate TripAdvisor space for this place.)

Visited August 2013
Hamilton, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Lovely Venue”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Hadn't been in the Tramway since my higher Drama days, so when word got out at the college I work in that our dance students were holding their annual dance show here, I had to go. Plus it was an excuse to hit the southside for drinks and food (reviews to follow, obviously!).

Cracking venue, I've always loved the building, and the wee hidden gardens are a nice touch, although there didn't seem to be a lot going on outside when I was in today. A plant sale (which, if we had been driving, would have delved into), herb garden, a zen area with one rock in it and that seemed to be about it. I was disappointed the water feature was cordoned off. Being a pisces I'm always drawn to water.

We had the soup and sandwich lunch deal which was £5.50. Soup was ok, but needed to be hotter and better seasoned. My wrap was nice, freshly made that morning and wrapped in clingfilm. Only when we got to the till did we notice the full menu, which is a shame as I would probably have prefered a salad or something from that instead.

Comfy seating in the theatre, although it was way too hot. I actually nodded off for 10sec or so because it was just too warm inside.

Cracking venue, but please just have the full food offered, on display before the pay point!

Visited August 2012