“Appalling treatment !”

Ranked #154 of 270 things to do in Glasgow
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Appalling treatment !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Just 2 weeks ago my lovely mother in law checked into this horrible place as she was having chest pains at around 2am, after some tests she was sent for a CT scan on the Monday morning to reveal she has a tumor in her lung and another in her stomach....the Registrar took it upon himself to tell her (who is 72 by the way) without anyone being present ie family members that she has untreatable Cancer...!
That evening we went to visit for her to break the tragic news to us, as she was quite upset about her ordeal, we did not have that much info on what her condition was etc, it took us until Thursday for someone to contact us to let us know the extent to her illness, after spending 4 days trying to get answers and someone to get back to us, we had a Staff nurse..... tutt on the phone whilst asking her for some information, Registrars saying they would meet us and never showed up, Consultants saying my mother in law had ....jumped the gun in her diagnosis !
On top of that, on the Wednesday they sent her for a Biopsy and lost her glasses so she could not see anything or anyone, which to me is appalling treatment for anyone let alone a 72 year old.
I know this sight is mainly for hotels and restaurants.... but i have to put this message out for people to listen that this is just not acceptable in the 21st century.

Visited May 2014
12 Thank Steve T

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“the old...awful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I was admitted against my better judgment.

I arrived wanting to arrange outpatient appointments to have tests done for some stomach pain I had been experiencing on/off for some time. However, after having some tests, I was taken to a ward with what seemed like some very elderly and unwell patients. I was told that this was because I my fluids weren't brilliant and needed to be put on a drip and my heart had been racing slightly - probably due to the stress of being told I had to stay overnight in hospital!

I was then more or less left for the next few 2 days...

At night all I could hear where the cries of an elderly patient who seemed very disorientated and confused and obviously exceptionally unwell! I again found myself amazed that I was being left in this ward (or any)

I woke first thing the following morning (after an hours sleep) and got ready to leave only to be told they wanted to keep me under observation for a bit longer - promising that I could maybe go home that night! When I asked again at tea time I was told I would be kept in for more observation...which in my opinion was an absolute waste of a bed - someone who was very unwell may have benefited from it! - No wonder we hear of people being left in hallways these days!

I had to eventually ask for a bottle of water on the second morning as I had not been offered food or water since my admission. Thank heavens I was young and fit and able to do so!
Friends and family brought me food to eat as I was not being given anything by the hospital (I think I was eventually given a piece of toast, but I had to ask 3 times for it).

The nurses (especially the head) were incredibly rude. I felt they were unhelpful and actually trying to make the entire experience as uncomfortable as possible. It felt like the more I tried to convince them I was ok - the more they wanted to keep me in to prove a point.

I ended up spending most of my time in the hallway with my fiancé as I was bored and lonely in the ward. The head nurse made it perfectly clear that this was unacceptable by staring at us from the ward for 20minutes, before finally coming out and telling us that he would have to leave.

Even when a friend (who happens to be a nurse) came to visit me on my second day - she commented on the fact that my charts had not been updated all day - I explained this was because no one had been to check on me.

Finally on the second night after being left for some time without even having so much as my blood pressure taken, I decided enough was enough and discharged myself. The snooty nurse had gone home and so feeling less intimidated I explained to the new nurse on the ward how I had been and showed her that I had been unchecked for quite some time. She in fairness was lovely and explained that if I experienced any more problems I could just come back down to A&E. Something I don't plan on doing ever, if I can help it.

In conclusion - I was appalled by the nurse’s lack of people skills and more importantly they obviously lack any real empathy.

I am also not a person that usually (if ever) complains!

Visited July 2013
7 Thank shawlands1
Cape Town Central, South Africa
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“This place saved my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I have had two admissions to this hospital, despite its aging building, and that the new Vicky across the road is beautiful clean and fresh, I can honestly say the care that I had here saved my life. I was seriously ill Asthmatic with pneumonia and after a week of very intensive care, I pulled through some dark moments. Every hospital has its problems and this one has had some serious reputation problems, I will however say, the staff were great, and my family well supported when I was on the wrong side of the ventilator.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Ruthie R
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“uncle died of septicemia due to neglect in victoria”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

MARCH 2010, staffing terrible in high dependancy after a routine bowel operation, then transferred to a ward , staff also negligent so much so that septicemia had gone un noticed altough they were many signs present but no one seemed to take any notice until it was far too late, then transferred to another hospital as victoria had no beds in intensive care, as a result my family member died in the other hospial due to the neglect of the victoria staff, why are victoria hospital staff not trained the same as in other hospitals as we have had fantastic nurses/consultants in hairmyres, western and golden jubilee, its just down to bad management as far as im concerned but at the expensive of a loved one so dearly missed when it so easily could have been avoided had the staff just payed him a liitle attention, please learn from your mistakes

Visited June 2013
8 Thank 988jennijenni
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“glad i'm healthy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

old and dated and seriosly in need of modernisation. Staff work very hard considering the conitions that they need to work in. Problems nothing to the staff but more to do with governing body not providing enough revenue.

Visited September 2012