“JA Wika recommends this for a Great place to stay”
Review of Kelvin Hotel

Kelvin Hotel
Ranked #65 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I would definitely recommend The Kelvin. I worked at a flight attendant for 30 years and have stayed in many hotels. My friends and I were greeted by Charlie and I could not be more impressed. . He was GREAT! Very friendly, and helpful. I arrived about 8:00 P.M and had to leave for my flight at 6:00 A.M. He arranged for a taxi to pick me up and told me he would set his alarm to get up to unlock the bag room that he put my extra suitcase in so I would not have to lug it upstairs and back down again. My room was upgraded to a family room with 3 beds, because the guest that had been in the single room that was booked for me had become ill, and that is why I was on the 2nd floor instead of the 1st. I was in room 19 or 219, a room with 2 singles and 1 full bed, and a very large bath, with tub and shower. The only thing I would add is reading lights or bedside lights.
My friends and I went for a walk and stopped into a pub. I would recommend this area, because It has everything you would want in in food stores, pharmacy, gifts stores, and more.
I do want to return to Glasgow and I would definitely stay at the Kelvin again!

Room Tip: I liked my room, it was either 19 or 219, can't remember, but it is called a family room. It wou...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Staff was very helpful and kind (especially very lovely Scottish lady from staff called Sandra:))! House keeping was done regularly and in time. Having lived in room number 17 (single room), the room space was small but quite comfortable.

Room Tip: Room 17 on the second floor has a view on the street. Quite lovely, small and sunny room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The service I received at this hotel was some of the best I've ever seen. The receptionist went out of his way to give myself and a friend a twin room following a mixup at another hotel that left us stranded in Glasgow on a friday night, he was kind enough to match the price we had for the other hotel! The room was very clean and had basic but comfortable amenities, and the bathrooms were very clean. Locationwise, it is a great spot, only a small subway ride from the centre of Glasgow. Breakfast was included with the room price; bargain! It was delicious and served with a smile. Would thoroughlt recommend this fabulous little hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

Friendly place, small but clean rooms. Breakfast was included and was good. Good location in the West End, quick subway ride away from town, and lots of little cafes etc. nearby on Byres Rd. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I've just got back from a research trip to Glasgow and had booked the Kelvin because it looked like a nice (and fairly cheap) place to stay in the West End. You can't beat the location (not far from the Subway and with good connections to the city centre) and it was a lovely little place to come back to every night. The room was cosy and clean, and the cooked breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day. It was quite close to the university as well which was really helpful for my work. Charlie and Sandra were really friendly and were always happy to help out (even when it was late at night!), and they really made my stay an enjoyable one. I will definitely be staying at the Kelvin again next time I'm up in Glasgow!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Good location, although the parking facilities are limited (but the whole of the city centre is this way!) very close to the botanic gardens and the subway so loads to do during the day.
Rooms clean and warm, although the hotel is quite old so there was a lot of creaking about when upstairs were walking around.
Breakfast was standard, it was nice to have the option of a cooked breakfast, a lot of city hotels I've stayed in plonk some stale cereal infront of you!
As said previously the hotel is quite old and the decor definitely needs a freshen up, rooms are basic but looks like they haven't been decorated since the 70s having said that it is clean and comfortable. Would've liked an extra pillow and a more comfortable mattress but this is my own preference.
Would probably stay here again for a flying visit but not to my taste for a longer stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We’ve just returned from a weekend in Glasgow and had booked the Kelvin as there were 7 of us up for my stag weekend. I didn’t have huge expectations as we’d gone for a ‘budget’ option but I was really impressed with the hotel and the staff, in particular Sandra – who seemingly never sleeps and was always there to help with any queries and have some light-hearted conversation. The hotel was very accommodating to us, as we were arriving at 4 separate times, but everything worked exactly as arranged. My room, number 19, was at the top of the building at the back and was massive and quiet, with a huge ‘tenement’ bathroom. The other rooms were on the ground floor and in the basement and again, were very large with en suites. The fixtures and fittings aren’t exactly gold plated but it’s a 2-3 star hotel – the Hilton’s just up the road if you want luxury. The rooms were clean, the staff were polite & ever helpful, the cooked breakfasts were just what the doctor ordered to soak up the booze, and the location of the hotel cannot be beaten. Thanks Sandra & team!

Room Tip: Room 19 is at the top of the annexe at the back of the building and is huge, quiet and has an en sui...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends