“Nice hotel”
Review of Kelvin Hotel

Kelvin Hotel
Ranked #69 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed in a family room on the ground floor for six nights.

Location: The hotel is on the Great Western Rd, not far from the university and botanic gardens. It only takes fifteen minutes by bus to the city centre and the buses have stops near train stations, so that´s good. It is quite a quiet location, on the main street, but behind row of trees, so hidden from the rush of it.

Rooms: Our room was quite good, en-suite. The bathroom was pretty small, but that was to be expected. Beds were comfortable, sheets clean. Nothing to complain about. The only small problem was the shower - it needed some fixing - the temperature of the water was quite high all the time and there was nothing we could do about that. But that was not a major problem.

Breakfast: Breakfast was the same as in other hotels. Selection of fruits and cereals, juice, milk, yoghurts and then cooked breakfast (ranging from just scrambled eggs to full scottish breakfast, whatever you chose). The service during breakfast was so-so. It was mostly okay, but twice it was really slow and the we had to wait for our breakfast for about 45 minutes which was quite a lot.

Overall: The hotel is nice, maybe a bit rundown, but mostly well taken care of. The location is great. I would probably return if I visited Glasgow again. The price is all right as well compared to other hotels.

great wi-fi
good breakfast
comfortable beds, nicely decorated rooms

the service was sometimes a bit slow
the en-suite was a bit too small (but still big enough)

notes:
* there are some rooms "in the basement" so it might be good to ask about the location of the room beforehand
* rooms on ground floor can get a bit noisy when lots of people are arriving
*some of the rooms are not en-suite, so pay attention to this before booking (there are lots of bathrooms outside of rooms though)

I hope my review will help with your decision!

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor can be a bit noisy. Some rooms are on the floor below ground floor, so pay a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2013

The general condition of the hotel is fine, not really anything to write home about, but the price is low and it's got a great location - just at the top of Byres Road.

Based on the reviews I'd read (on this website and elsewhere), I was really expecting the hotel to be much better (in terms of rooms, condition, staff service) - yes, I know it's cheap, but we've stayed in lots of brilliant cheap hotels and hostels (case in point, The Townhouse in Dublin).

The staff were really quite absent - there didn't seem to be a reception desk - which is fine, but when you actually needed something the service was quite poor - after ringing the bell as we needed our bags stored, the staff member who came down the stairs continued having a casual conversation on a mobile phone, which I eventually had to interrupt so we could get our quite basic question seen to. I didn't get a particularly friendly vibe from either member of staff we encountered.

The other negative point was the showers - both showers on the basement floor (where we stayed) were freezing cold. Luckily the ground floor shower was fine.

Overall, it was okay, but I suspect you might find better for the same price elsewhere in the city.

Room Tip: The walls are quite thin and the road in front is busy. I recommend ear plugs if you're a light...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MsPExeter
Charlie N, Manager at Kelvin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Guest,
I am very sorry to hear that you considered your stay with us to be an unpleasant one. At the Kelvin Hotel we endeavour to furnish all our guests with the same high level of standard and service, and we do take your displeasure very seriously.
Firstly I would like to invite you to discuss your grievance further if you would be kind enough to contact us at the hotel directly. I would be most interested to know of the requests you made which you feel were not responded to. As far as speaking on a mobile phone, the land line at the hotel is operated by a cordless phone and I would suggest that that was what was being used, the casual nature of the call would be the informal, friendly manner with which we speak to all persons by phone. The host on duty is responsible for answering this phone as well as answering the reception bell and I trust from the fact that you wished to discuss the complimentary storage of luggage that this occurred in the morning after breakfast, a busy time at the hotel. I trust that we offered to keep your luggage for you. You have said that you interrupted the call which was in progress, perhaps this was what resulted in the uncomfortable vibe as no one likes to be cut off while in conversation. As you can see from the many positive reviews on the web we at the Kelvin pride ourselves on offering a very friendly service to all guests, resulting in many return visits over the years. Although we do not have a reception desk staff can be reached at any time by use of the aforementioned bell in the main hall or by dropping by the office which is located in the basement.
With regard to the cold water from the showers in the basement, the small shower is electric and offers instant hot water. This does need to be turned on by using the pull cord located at the door. The other shower in the basement, the larger of the two, is connected to the mains water supply and as we have had no complaints with regard to the water temperature of late I suspect the issue may have been one of incorrect operation. A member of staff would have been more than happy to assist you with this if you had let us know.
Thank you for taking the time to offer us some feedback and I would be pleased to discuss your visit in more detail if you wish to contact the hotel directly.
Yours faithfully
Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Kelvin is located next to the Botanical gardens, in the heart of the West End, and we picked the hotel for location primarily. The rooms and service were a bit forgettable, and the staff, though perfectly friendly, were not that on the ball. We stayed twice, and the rooms in the basement have severe drainage problems, so try to pick a room upstairs. Okay, but not memorable. Except that the sausages at breakfast were probably the worst I have ever eaten!

Room Tip: Make sure you are not given a room in the basement!
1  Thank Sayoni
Charlie N, Manager at Kelvin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am sorry you do not agree with the majority of reviewers on this site and did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Throughout the year we ensure we are competitively priced within the Glasgow market and I am sorry you felt we were not good value given the relatively low cost of your stay.
Our cooked breakfast does receive a fair amount of positive comments and I am sorry you did not enjoy this.
With regard to your complaint about the shower drainage issue, I have been into the room in question and tested the shower. I can find no problem with the drains. If you had reported this to a member of staff then I am sure that we could have rectified the situation for you.
I would be pleased to discuss your visit in more details if you wish to contact the hotel directly.
Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

overnight with friends in Glasgow. Hotel was ok,looking a little tired but does retain some of the original features of a lovely old building. Breakfast was good service was good, staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have ensuite so choose carefully
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J L
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The Kelvin feels more like a B&B than a Hotel i.e. it is small, no frills but has great personal service. Booked in at the last minute as part of a group of cyclists but the host was extremely accommodating about bike storage, car parking and our general noise and coming and going.

All the rooms were simple but comfortable. Families rooms were huge, standard doubles less so - but all very clean, perfectly adequate and with TV's and kettles. There is limited free parking round the back and the hotel location is perfect for everything the west end has to offer.

Would I choose it for a posh romantic break? No. But for a great value, clean room in the heart of the west end for a group of people or for a longer stay, it is perfect.

Room Tip: All the rooms with en-suite were fully booked so we had a shared shower room on the 2nd floor lookin...
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed in the "small double" room and it was quite tiny. That said, for the price (20 pounds per person per night), it was a deal. The location was excellent, and we were able to walk around the West End and explore without straying far from the hotel. There is also a lounge area to hang out if your room is too tiny. The rooms were clean, and the staff was very friendly.

1  Thank E S
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Beautiful location right next to the botanical gardens, close to shops, easy parking on the street in a sweet neighborhood. The building is charming and our four person en suite family room had a double bed, two twins and huge windows with great light, very airy and welcoming. Delicious breakfast in a cheery dining room. I wish I could go back!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family