We stayed in a family room on the ground floor for six nights.
Location: The hotel is on the Great Western Rd, not far from the university and botanic gardens. It only takes fifteen minutes by bus to the city centre and the buses have stops near train stations, so that´s good. It is quite a quiet location, on the main street, but behind row of trees, so hidden from the rush of it.
Rooms: Our room was quite good, en-suite. The bathroom was pretty small, but that was to be expected. Beds were comfortable, sheets clean. Nothing to complain about. The only small problem was the shower - it needed some fixing - the temperature of the water was quite high all the time and there was nothing we could do about that. But that was not a major problem.
Breakfast: Breakfast was the same as in other hotels. Selection of fruits and cereals, juice, milk, yoghurts and then cooked breakfast (ranging from just scrambled eggs to full scottish breakfast, whatever you chose). The service during breakfast was so-so. It was mostly okay, but twice it was really slow and the we had to wait for our breakfast for about 45 minutes which was quite a lot.
Overall: The hotel is nice, maybe a bit rundown, but mostly well taken care of. The location is great. I would probably return if I visited Glasgow again. The price is all right as well compared to other hotels.
comfortable beds, nicely decorated rooms
the service was sometimes a bit slow
the en-suite was a bit too small (but still big enough)
* there are some rooms "in the basement" so it might be good to ask about the location of the room beforehand
* rooms on ground floor can get a bit noisy when lots of people are arriving
*some of the rooms are not en-suite, so pay attention to this before booking (there are lots of bathrooms outside of rooms though)
I hope my review will help with your decision!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kelvin is a bed and breakfast in the heart of the vibrant West End of Glasgow. Parking can be reserved and free Wi-Fi is available. Bedrooms at The Kelvin are light and airy and are tastefully decorated in soft pastels. Some guest bedrooms have en-suite facilities, and all have a TV and vanity units with shaving points. A fully fitted, communal kitchen, equipped with kitchenware and utensils, is available to guests.The grand Victorian townhouse also offers free Wi-Fi in the guest lounge and in most bedrooms. The dining room boasts floor-to-ceiling windows and looks out onto the tree-lined Great Western Road. There are many shops located opposite the hotel and many bars and restaurants in the area.Glasgow International Airport is a 15-minute drive from the Kelvin, and the hotel is located just 2 miles from Glasgow Central Railway Station & 10miles from Glasgow airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Cancelon and LateRooms so you can book your Kelvin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kelvin Hotel Glasgow, Scotland