“Great place to stay”
Review of Kelvin Hotel

Kelvin Hotel
Ranked #70 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We have stayed at the Kelvin four times and will stay there again when we go back to Glasgow next year. The staff is really helpful, the room my sister and I have been given was great. This hotel is in our favorite part of the city and also on a major bus line so it is easy to get any where in Glasgow.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 February 2008

Thoroughly enjoyed my 3 day stay in this hotel! It deserves more than it is rated: really clean, excellent bkfast, friendly staff, cable tv, all for a bargain price! It was so homely. Recommended for those who going to the vicinity around uni of glasgow and located in a pleasant area with shops, restaurants, supermarkets. only a short bus ride to the city centre too!

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 28 January 2008

Stayed here after been let down by the Botanic Hotel opposite.
In fact it was closed, even though we had reserved a room for two nights.
This hotel saved the day. The staff are super friendly and helpful.
The rooms are spotless. Breakfast excellent. Also there is a small car park to the rear on a first come first served basis. Still better than nothing at all.
Also reasonably priced for the excellent location and closeness to all amenities.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed 7 December 2007

The university is in walking distance, and its close to the underground which connectes you to the city centre.

If you cannot find anywhere else to stay it may be OK. And from other reviews I gather that some rooms may be better than the one I had. However, I think that there are better accommodations around for a similiar price.

I haven't seen much of the staff, so I cannot make any comments on that.
All I can say is that I wasn't too pleased when the cleaning woman started hoovering my room with an enormous hoover at 8:20 in the morning when I came back from breakfast. She was a bit in my way when I wanted to get ready to go out to university.
I wonder what she would have done if I had still been asleep and also what people in the adjacent rooms would think of the noise.
I still wonder about the moist duvet after she left. It seemed she had sprayed some cleaner over it.

You are asked to pay upon arrival so make sure you got enough cash on you when you arrive if you do not wish to pay by credit card.

When booking make sure which room you get. I had a standard single room in the basement, which was acceptably clean but had not been aired for a while. It smelled of smoke and chemicals (Paint but also whatever they use to clean could have added to it). Anyway, the window did not open very much and the smell gave me quite a headache.

The toilet and shower are OK but cramped in somwhere underneath the stair - adding to the dungeon-feeling of the basement.

A phone is in the hall - which is handy, but can be loud as well and woke everyone up in the middle of the night.

The breakfast was OK.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Mingibe
Reviewed 20 September 2007

Tucked away on a lane bordering the Great Western Road, Kelvin hotel is a gem. The building is a nicely renovated 19th century home turned into tourist accomodation. This must explain the HUGE room I got - at least 30sqm and the HUGE bathroom - almost the size of a 3 star hotel room in London :))).
Ås a matter of fact, after I saw the room, I asked the owner (did I mentioned Kelvin is family run?), Mrs Duguid, if there is not a mistake, since I had booked a smaller double, not a huge 4 beds room...
For 58 gpb a night, it is a real bargain. The center of Glasgow is within walking distance - 20 minutes if you take your time to admire the stunning Glasgow architecture. there are two tube stations within 5 minutes walk, plenty of buses right in front of the hotel, a botanical garden across the street, but best of all, the kelvin hotel is in the west end, the best place to find great bars and restaurants in glasgow.
The room had TV, electric kettle, but no phone. You get your own keys for the entrance door and the room door - there's no proper reception, but a bell you must ring if you are unable, due to too much whisky, to find the keyhole.
Actually, beside the coffee, which was as bad as all the English coffees, the bell was the biggest problem - when somebody rang it, it could be heard all over the building - which is not particularly appealing if it happens at 3 am.

Overall, Kelvin hotel is a wonderful place to stay. It's not a luxury hotel, but it gives you a very "homy" feeling.
I would love to go there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Aditoiu
Reviewed 20 July 2007

I booked our room at the Kelvin some time ago, and asked for a ground floor room as I was travelling with my grandmother who has some mobility problems. The staff could not have been more helpful in this respect, and we definitely got the better deal as the ground floor room was clearly a family room and it was huge, so I'm not sure what you can expect if you are on a different floor!

Breakfasts were well worth the money, and cooked to order so you can't really ask for much more. Bathrooms were small but perfectly adequate and everything was spotless.

All in all, an ideal place to stay and excellent location, I can totally recommend for a weekend in Glasgow.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2007

I've stayed in number of guesthouses in the University area over the past 2 years and I found the Kelvin staff very helpful and accomodating. The guesthouse is very very clean! provides a great breakfast and is in a great location in the west end of Glasgow-would recommend!!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business