“No bathroom in the rooms,”
Review of Kelvin Hotel

Kelvin Hotel
Ranked #71 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Stockholm, Sverige
“No bathroom in the rooms,”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

You have to share bathrooms when living on this hotel.
No information about that in the booking details. It just says its a standardroom.
Nice breakfast, with full english breakfast.
Very noisy from the traffic and cold rooms.
Nice hostess.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mullakulla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel walking distance to botanic gardens and west end sights. Friendly. Good breakfast with nice selection. Quiet, clean room. Parking is very small lot but worth extra money as street parking hard to find.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was a regular customer of the Kelvin Hotel until I booked a room for the nights of 1st. and 2nd. March 2014. I telephoned the day before to give my arrival time, but hotel manager Sandra could find no record of my booking and told me that I could not be accommodated. After some considerable trouble I found a room at the Albion Hotel at one day's notice. This was good but expensive, two nights costing me £36 more than I would have paid at the Kelvin.
Having made one of the worst mistakes that hoteliers can make, the staff of the Kelvin Hotel could not even manage a decent apology. Sandra asked me to send her a copy of the original booking, which I did; she then ignored my e-mail and a follow-up which I wrote. After I complained to Visit Scotland, Sandra finally sent me an e-mail headed, "Apology", which was actually a list of lies and excuses. She has since repeatedly ignored requests to refund the extra £36 which I had to pay. The Kelvin Hotel committed a breach of contract by refusing to accommodate a booked customer, and is legally liable for the additional expense caused to that customer.
Sandra is a good chambermaid, cook and waitress, but she is not intelligent enough to manage bookings. The Kelvin Hotel has also hired a very annoying Indian woman who answers the telephone, greets the guests and takes orders for breakfast, even though she understands very little English.
I would advise travellers to book elsewhere until there have been some changes in personnel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Ian J
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We spent two nights in a twin room at the Kelvin hotel. I think we got allocated a bigger room than we reserved (two double beds instead of two single) which was excellent. The location (Glasgow's West-End) is spot on and the double Georgian house is a really nice surrounding. It does have a budget hotel characteristic but in a very good homely way. Also the personnel was very helpful and the breakfast is good. Only minuses I can think of was that our shower thermostat was broken (too hot) but there was an extra bathroom next to our room which solved that, and that other common thing for me when staying in the UK: the beds, which were actually quite comfortable, being relatively short and me being quite tall. But fortunately it was a typical hotel bed without a closed frame at the end which wasn't the case at the other accommodation we stayed at during our stay in Scotland.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was such a find! Most of the hostels in Glasgow had not such great reviews so I was looking for budget accommodation that was nicer than back packers. I had a single room with a sink and had access to a lovely bathroom. The hotel is in the great west end area with loads of restaurants and bars and only 10mims by tube to the city centre. As an added bonus cooked breakfast included! Great budget hotel option!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Nottingham
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was unsure whether to submit a review for this hotel having not actually stayed for more them ten minutes but I hope my comments will be taken in the constructive way they are intended.

We arrived in the afternoon and called in first to check where to park to be told the car park was full and we would have to find somewhere else. This wasn't particularly helpful and I would have expected an hotelier to be able to tell guests where they can park. We eventually got our key and were told our room was in the basement. The room contained old and shabby furniture, was incredibly hot (no air-con) but of greatest concern was that it had not been cleaned properly since the last occupant. The carpet in particular could not have been vacuumed for several days.

The hotel is very cheap and you get what you pay for I guess but a high level of cleanliness is absolutely essential, particularly when for a few pounds more you can get the reliable standards of chains such as Ibis.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PaulJNottingham
London
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights paying £76 a night for a double room with an ensuite. Price wise this is equivalent to a Premier Inn but the comparison was not favourable to the Kelvin.

Our room was very dreary and basic with a low ceiling and a stagnant aroma. The initial impression on entering the room was not a hotel that was loved and there were some basic housekeeping issues (the light above the sink didn't work, the main light had loads of flies in the cover, the shower tray didn't drain) and whilst the room was clean, some of the fittings were very dated. The images on the website show better rooms but I can only judge the hotel on the room we had.

Breakfast was quite nice and the staff were welcoming (although they were hard to find at times).

For what we paid I thought that the room should've been a bit more spruced up and the basic maintenance issues should have been addressed. Next time it'll be the Premier Inn.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple