“Pleasant Stay”
Review of Kelvin Hotel

Kelvin Hotel
Ranked #69 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 25 January 2009

I stayed here twice in 4 months on vacation and had a pleasant stay each time.

This hotel near the University of Glasgow is in a neighborhood that felt safe to walk around and was within walking distance of many restaurants and museums with the Botanical Garden nearly right out the front door. Walking paths along the river allowed for peaceful walks away from traffic. There are also 2 subway stops close by making for a quick trip downtown (and to the train station for destinations farther away).

The Hotel is family run and what a kind family they are. Seemingly always in motion, whether during the breakfast rush or tending to the daily needs of the hotel and clients, they were always ready to share a smile or a story and very helpful in answering all my travel questions. I had to change my reservation plans a few times and they were so patient and accommodating.

The accommodations are comfortable, clean and basic. One visit I had an en suite room and the next, just the in-room sink and I have no complaints. I could have my coffee or tea in my room and the coffee pot and cups were clean.
On my first stay, I did originally get a room in the front where I was able to hear street traffic but when I was in a room facing the back, the room was very quiet.

Nothing fancy, not luxury but perfect for my vacation needs- safe, clean, accessible to so much in the city and pleasant owners and staff.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank CuriousRambler

Reviewed 23 October 2008

It was amazing to see a few negative reviews; this says more of the reviwers than the hotel.
This is a true GEM with the best staff I've ever found and ever helpful to an amazing degee and this includes many five star hotelsa we've stayed in. We spenbnt 10 deligthful days here; the place is spotless, l;arge rooms for two people with very comfortable beds- sunggle up in these and you'll get a great and warm sleep. Breakfasts are unbeatable-bacon or sausages, eggs all done to ytour taste, cereals, juices-, etc. This is a trfue SCOT breakfast and will take you well past lunch.
Transportation-taxis just around the corner or hail one on street-very easy; you are midway between two subway stops. Kelvin Bridge exit will loead you past many pubs and reataurants and if you like fish and chips at end of bridge is Philadelphia Fish and Chips-best I've ever had. Hillhead stop is on Byres Road-a small city in itself with a huge supermarket minutes from you, Woolworth's with great barghains, restaurant after one another for any taqte or budget, you can walk to the University tho it is a bit long, old pubs and modern, every type of store you could want.
With all this you would expect noise- don't fear-this is the quietest hotel I've ever stayed in.
Price for the West End of town is EXTREMELY reasonable, and my only negative about the Kelvin is too many will discover it and make it difficult to get a room here pourselves!
Here you find the best of old Scotland mixed with the new, and there is free, if limited parking. very difficult to find in Glasgow. Glasgow itself is fabulpous, and tho Edinburgh has great history s doeas Glasgow and the people are unbeatable especially taxi drivers-ask them anything and you'll get a trughful answer and often a long detailed one.
Buses to town center take about 10 minutes and run so frequent you won't wait long, but you must have exact change.
Hotel does not convert currency, but post office directly across street does at best rates in city and no long l;ines like all others-if you convert always use a post office-they give the best rates.
This was the best stay we had anywhere in over 30 years; I miss it daily.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank custer7
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Stayed at the Kelvin for four nights on a budget business trip. The rooms were large and had everything needed for a comfortable stay. The beds were very firm (too much for me), but there was plenty of hot water for the en suite shower. This is a nice, economical hotel to stay at, just don't expect anything fancy. The included breakfast in the morning was nice (egg and bacon, toast, cereal, juice, some fruit). I would stay there again without hesitation. Not too far from some nice restaurants like Stravaigin, and Shish Mahal (check their web sites) and pubs, like The Doublet (say hi to Gordon the manager if you go!).

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 15 October 2008

Stayed at the Kelvin as it was so close to the Oran Mor. Easy to park, easy check in, lovely room, nice area. Plenty of eating places (Paperinos on Byres Road was excellent). We needed to use the internet, so we went to the local library (open on Sunday!) and they made me a member for the day. Great breakfast the morning after. All in all, one of the best stays we've had anywhere. Going again in November.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 August 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Kelvin for 7 nights in late May/early June and our son, daughter-in-law and 2 year old daughter were there for a couple of nights before and after our touring around other parts of Scotland.
We were very pleased with all aspects of our stay. The location in the west end near Byres Road is within walking distance of many, many attractions as well as the subway and bus routes.
Our rooms were very spacious and clean and the beds very comfortable. The service was excellent, and the staff very friendly and accommodating. The very adequate breakfasts got us off to a good start every morning. We would certainly stay at the Kelvin again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Stayed at the Kelvin Hotel for 3 nights. Had a single with shared bathroom in the basement. Was very comfy, plenty enough space for one. Toilet was always available and clean, shower the same. Breakfast was very good. Staff amiable enough. I used a bus that stopped nearby to get to main part of town , then on return the bus stop is right across the street,very easy to do.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We have stayed at the Kelvin four times and will stay there again when we go back to Glasgow next year. The staff is really helpful, the room my sister and I have been given was great. This hotel is in our favorite part of the city and also on a major bus line so it is easy to get any where in Glasgow.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family