It's an okay hotel for what you need but it does not surpass anything but the most mediocre expectations. And woe betide if you turn up 10 minutes late for breakfast on a weekday (not everyone is ready to breakfast before 9.30 am). You will be turned away at the door. The breakfast things were still laid out when we arrived just ten minutes after the breakfast serving time ended but we weren't even invited to eat from the cold buffet, Plenty of people were still in the restaurant. I thought that was terrible.
I'd stayed in this hotel before but got much better treatment when it was still called the City Inn. Obviously the standard of service has reduced considerably since it changed its name (and presumably its ownership) to Mint Hotel.
The receptionist was slow, dour and humourless. She clearly didn't like her job so it amazes me that she's still in it. She certainly wasn't in a rush to make sure we were happy campers.
Other points against this hotel:-
(1) The mini bar was locked with no sign of a key. Guests should not have to ask.
(2) Used tea bags were not replaced so it was green tea or nothing after the first night.
(3) The duvet didn't fit across the bed. We had to lie in the middle to get ourselves covered.
(4) Two very flat pillows were provided each and no extras were to be found.
(5) Could the bathroom have been any smaller? You couldn't sit on the lavatory with the toilet roll on its holder.
Really this hotel was poor for the money. It was okay for attending a concert at the SECC (which is why we chose it) but I wouldn't go back. Next time I'll try the Campanile or something else close by. There's enough of a choice in the area now not to have to settle for second best, and this hotel is certainly second best.
In short, this was a disappointment. Shop around. Fortunately, the concert made up for our disappointing choice of accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our award-winning hotel, situated on Glasgow’s River Clyde, is just minutes away from the SEC Campus and SSE Hydro. In the heart of Finnieston, we’re perfectly located for exploring all that Glasgow has to offer including shopping, museums, botanic gardens and eclectic nightlife. After a busy day, relax in your contemporary guest room and look out across the riverbank through floor-to-ceiling windows. Stay connected with complimentary WiFi or unwind in front of the 42-inch TV. Enjoy casual dining at the newly refurbished Recess, our relaxed bar & restaurant which offers seasonal cuisine prepared from locally sourced ingredients. Dine indoors or al fresco on the outdoor River terrace, complete with spectacular views of the river and beyond. For those travelling on business, our hotel is within easy reach of the business district. Our flexible meeting rooms are perfect for conferences, meetings or private dinners. Local and national rail networks are within 5 minutes and Glasgow International Airport is only a 15-minute drive away. Keep up your fitness regime during your stay, our high-tech Precor gym is available free of charge, 24-hours a day. Guests can enjoy on-site car parking (fees apply) and bus service picking up from the front of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Nozio Netplan srl, Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- City Hotel Glasgow
- Glasgow City Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre Scotland