“Not up to scratch - check out other places first”

Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
“Not up to scratch - check out other places first”
Reviewed 22 April 2011

It's an okay hotel for what you need but it does not surpass anything but the most mediocre expectations. And woe betide if you turn up 10 minutes late for breakfast on a weekday (not everyone is ready to breakfast before 9.30 am). You will be turned away at the door. The breakfast things were still laid out when we arrived just ten minutes after the breakfast serving time ended but we weren't even invited to eat from the cold buffet, Plenty of people were still in the restaurant. I thought that was terrible.

I'd stayed in this hotel before but got much better treatment when it was still called the City Inn. Obviously the standard of service has reduced considerably since it changed its name (and presumably its ownership) to Mint Hotel.

The receptionist was slow, dour and humourless. She clearly didn't like her job so it amazes me that she's still in it. She certainly wasn't in a rush to make sure we were happy campers.

Other points against this hotel:-

(1) The mini bar was locked with no sign of a key. Guests should not have to ask.

(2) Used tea bags were not replaced so it was green tea or nothing after the first night.

(3) The duvet didn't fit across the bed. We had to lie in the middle to get ourselves covered.

(4) Two very flat pillows were provided each and no extras were to be found.

(5) Could the bathroom have been any smaller? You couldn't sit on the lavatory with the toilet roll on its holder.

Really this hotel was poor for the money. It was okay for attending a concert at the SECC (which is why we chose it) but I wouldn't go back. Next time I'll try the Campanile or something else close by. There's enough of a choice in the area now not to have to settle for second best, and this hotel is certainly second best.

In short, this was a disappointment. Shop around. Fortunately, the concert made up for our disappointing choice of accommodation.

Room Tip: Shop around
8 Thank sarah351

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wakefield
Reviewed 22 April 2011

To say that this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel is beyond a joke. Whoever gave out the rating obviously has not stayed in real 4 star hotels. We regularly stay in 4, 5 and 6 star hotels across the world and I have to say that this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We paid the top price for a City Club room with an upgrade (which states on the website 'VIP Status, welcome drink included...' - upon arrival the first impression given is that the hotel is very bland, basic, and that the staff look down at you just because you look a little bit different to their normal suit wearers. There was no welcome drink and I would love to know what their definition of VIP status is because there was certainly none of that. The room did have a nice view of the River Clyde but it was very small with cheap fixtures and a remote control which had a mind of its own. The bathroom was absolutely tiny and I was horrified to see a faeces stain on one of the bathrobes!! There were only 2 small sachets of sugar in the room and the kettle lid did not close. We were unable to book a table in the restaurant in the evening due to it already being fully booked up and therefore had to order room service instead. Later on in the evening we had a drink in the bar (one plus point is that the two gentleman bar staff were very friendly) and due to the bar being so full following on from a show at the SECC we took our drinks to the outside seating area where people were already sat with drinks. We were then shouted at from the restaurant building by an ignorant staff member who looked directly at us and said "You can't have your drinks out here" - she then turned round and started to walk off so we asked if this only applied to us seeming as we look different (heavily tattoo'd) at which point she said that it applied to everyone. Definitly not a reason to shout at us like naughty children though!! At breakfast we both had a full cooked breakfast and found that the bacon was extremely undercooked and therefore left that for fear of food poisoning. Due to this whole disappointing stay the fee for our room service was waived and we have been offered a free nights stay but this is something I will not be accepting. I simply wouldn't stay there again if they paid me!!
The only plus points I can give this hotel is that it is ideally situated for the SECC/Clyde Auditorium and the beds are comfortable. Put it this way, I stay at a Travelodge on a regular basis for work at a cost of £19 per night and receive much better service there!!

Room Tip: Take your own bathrobe and expect disappointment
5 Thank y5c6
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time for giving feedback on your recent stay.

I am sorry for the shortfalls in service that you experienced and your feedback has been used as a training tool within the desired departments.
I am surprised that you did not find our rooms of high quality. As can be seen from many of our other reviews our fixtures and fittings are well thought of.
All rooms boast iMacs (with free internet and satellite television), White Company toiletries, Egyptian cotton bed sheets, power showers, mini bars, complimentary WiFi, air conditioning and floor to ceiling windows that open.

The dressing gown in question was found to have a burn mark from being pressed at the laundry – this should have been noticed by housekeeping and has been addressed with the manager.

Unfortunately local licensing laws mean that alcohol cannot be consumed on our outdoor terrace after 10pm – this is consistently applied. It can appear unfair if other guests are seen outside however I can assure you that no alcohol is being consumed.

Our breakfasts are made to order (fresh) from the kitchen, we would gladly have replaced breakfast had concerns been made at the time.

I do hope you give us a second chance so we can show you how fabulous we truly can be.

Kind Regards,

UK
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Very pleased with this Hotel esp. when we saw how close we were to the SECC.
Check in staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was lovely and clean. Plus had a lovely view of water from window. Had a meal at hotel on first night. This was excellent. Great Service. Next night we went to see Kylie so just a 4 min walk to SECC. Concert Great and even better to watch everyone trying to get taxi's etc while we walked back to the hotel. Breakfast was lovely but very busy on the sunday morning so slight attention to details slipped, as we had had breakfast Saturday morning when it was quietier and this was lovely.
Would recommend to my friends plus the big red city guide bus picks you up right outside the hotel.. Big Plus!!
Plus your allow to use Greens Leisure up the road so take swimming costume.this is not on web site - which is a shame as would be a big plus!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review.

I will look into promoting the use of the nearby health club on our webiste as it is a fantastic facility that our guests can use free of charge.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Herts
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I chose Mint because of its riverside location. As a former Glasgow resident, I knew that it was an excellent option for accessibility both to the road network and public transport. Pre-booking enquiries were dealt with promptly, by helpful and knowledgeable staff.

Upon arrival, which was fairly late in the evening, we were greeted by a helpful receptionist, who explained the various elements of Mint to us. The room itself was of a very reasonable size, with a wardrobe, chairs and desk complementing the comfortable bed. More than enough room for the two of us. The riverside view was amazing, and there was no background noise at all. We worked out the iMac system quickly enough, although we had hoped that there would be some facility for us to dock our own iPods and play our own music and videos given such a “Mac” orientated environment.

Bathroom facilities were excellent, with a powerful shower and a selection of White Company toiletries. There were plenty of shelves to put our own toiletries on. Cleanliness was excellent. Even when we accidentally left the “Do Not Disturb” sign on our door when we went out one morning, replacement towels and complimentary tea sachets were left neatly in a bag outside our door.

The only downside I would mention is the parking – it was not made clear to me that parking was chargeable before arrival, and even when I arrived, a poster simply said “Parking £5 per night, £5 per day”. Did this mean £10 if your car was staying both day and night? This price applied to residents and those just visiting the restaurant, which made me feel a little miffed.

I would certainly recommend Mint to anyone planning a visit to Glasgow. It is a little more expensive than your Premier Inn type budget hotels, but in this case, you do get what you pay for. I felt like I was staying in a far more expensive hotel, in a prime location. It made me feel proud to show my non-Glaswegian companion around. Excellent staff, great location and superb facilities. We shall be returning next time.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Thank you for your positive review and score of 5/5.

I am glad you enjoyed the riverside views and iMac entertainment system.
The speakers from the iMac can be plugged into your iPod to allow you to play your own music.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the car park tariff - there is only one charge applied.

I look forward to welcoming you back and I am delighted that you were proud to return to Glasgow.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I booked this hotel as a birthday treat for my boyfriends birthday, having spent 2 nights in the The Mint in London, i was looking forward to a luxurious stay, but unfortunately this wasnt the case.
I had phoned ahead to confirm a river view room, and to advise it was a special evening, so that my expectations may be exceeded and the hotel could provide a small surprise such as fizzy wine, chocolate covered strawberrys, basically the nice little treats luxury hotels do to make a stay special.
On arrival to our room, we were dissappointed, there was nothing there.
I think its attention to details like this that make a stay somewhere go from nice to special, obviously the hotel do not think so.
The room was visually clean, but sparse with supplies, and our large ben was two twins shoved together with a large quilt, not ideal for a romantic evening.
The bed had a throw along the bottom which on closer inspection, had 2 large black pubic hairs, not nice! The tea/coffee facillities were inside a dirty dusty drawer, which had stains on the tray the items were sat on, and the condiments for refreshments were minimal. In the bathroom, for 2 adults we had one tiny shampoo, no conditioner and one tiny moisturizer, no soap! and no mini toothbrushing facillities which should be complimentary but are inclued in the exorbitant rates within the minibar in the room. There were two bathrobes provided, however these werent fluffy and comfy, more scratchy and really only for necessity.
There was a small ice box which is handy, except there are no indications to tell you where abouts the ice machine was to fill it.
The hotel boasts a range of complimentary serivces, one is a movie library for the room, when i called to enquire, i was told this wasnt available, another dissappointment, and also with regards to a late check out, the norm is 12 midday, however when i called to find out about the later checkout i was told it was complimentary until 1pm, but it was £10 per hour thereafter!! make sure you take advantage of the free hour, as they do not tell you about this at reception when you check in.
As part of my rate i payed for a cooked breakfast, and as i had done so, you were allowed to choose what you liked from the continental choice also, this was nice, and it meant there was alot of breakfast brought to the room (for a £3.50 room charge!) however, the toast was stone cold, there was a tiny jug of milk supplied for 2 bows of cereal, which wasnt enough,and they didnt bring the orange juice up with the breakfast, a call to reception had someone come to the room, but they advised one of our choices wasnt available.
Overall the stay was pleasant, the beds were comfy and staff polite when spoken too, however the lack of all these small details means that this hotel isnt in anyway a luxury hotel and would be better used as a base to stay in whilst going elsewhere,to a gig or show in the closeby SEC, rather than staying in and enjoying the hotel facillities, and as far as a romantic night goes, i definately wouldnt book in here again, which is dissapointing for the hotel, as the branch in London is far superior. Such a shame.

Room Tip: make sure you use the complimentary late checkout
1 Thank mrsrocafella
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, 4 April 2011
Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at Mint Hotel Glasgow.

Please accept my sincere apologies for Mint Hotel Glasgow not meeting your expectations.

It is understandable that you were disappointed on arrival to find that your special occasion was not recognised by us and I am sorry this did not happen.

We have a clear focus on customer service and believe that we deliver an experience that exceeds expectations, your recent stay is not what is normally provided as can be seen on majority of reviews, I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss further:

brian.mcnelis@minthotel.com or 0141 227 1032.

Wales
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Just returned from a 4 night stay. Couldn't have been bettered (apart from the fact that the bar had run out of Baileys!). Smaller than most Mint Hotels but none the worse for that, although the bar area can get crowded early on if there is a show on nearby. Excellent food throughout and the staff were ALL courteous, efficient and friendly. Allocated a river view room - without any extra charges - so not sure about a previous review, unless a suite was perhaps being requested. Hotel is about a 10 minute (£5) taxi ride from central Glasgow, or a 20 minute walk along the river walk. Open top bus service stops directly outside the hotel for anyone interested in the tour.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Well we stayed in the Mint Hotel and we were delighted with the Mint Hotel. On arrival at hotel we were greeted my very efficient and friendly staff! Check in was prompt and even though we were slightly earlier than expected we were still given access to our bedroom instantly.

Although the room was slightly smaller than most, it was fab! It was very modern and exceptionally clean.

Everything about our stay was excellent and will be booking this hotel again next time I visit Glasgow!!

• Stayed March 2011