“Perfect for SECC”

Ranked #34 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen
“Perfect for SECC”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed overnight following concert at SECC. Arrived after 4.00 pm to find room not ready but were offered a complimentary drink in the bar whilst we waited. Room small, and not the twin room I'd booked many months earlier but the receptionist had already said the hotel was full so we were stuck - not ideal if you're not entirely comfortable with your room mate (in this case my daughter so no problem).

Spotlessly clean, comfy bed, nice view if you get a river view and very quiet. Restaurant/Bar attractive, enjoyed our pre concert supper (it is more pricey than eating in town but that's what you expect).

All employees very friendly & welcoming.

Perfect location for SECC, it was so good to stroll a few minutes along the side of the Clyde back to the comfort of our room without the hassle of taxi journeys into town. Even better was to then stop at the freezer in the lobby to buy mini tubs of ice-cream before bed time!

Would certainly stay again if attending an event in the SECC area but not my choice for a shopping/cultural visit to Glasgow.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed here whilst attending a conference at the SECC. The rooms are lovely and the staff helpful. Would stay here again if attending events at SECC but might choose a more centrally located hotel if I wanted to do more sightseeing. Although it was only a 20 minute walk to the city centre along the Clyde..

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the Clyde
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We've just stayed for 2 nights at the former Mint Hotel, now Hilton Garden Inn, Glasgow. We chose it for its slightly out of the city location and because its by the river. We booked through Expedia and paid £60 per night including breakfast.

Warm welcome from nice staff and allocated river view rooms. Room was clean and bright. Fab Apple iMac TV system!!

The Glasgow City Tour bus picks up right outside and is well worth using as its £11 for 2 days use. It covers the whole city and we used it instead of taxis to get in and out of town.

Breakfast was lovely - nice Scottish touches, real Black Pudding, potato scones and haggis.

One tiny issue was that in the late evenings smokers on the terrace can mean a little noise in the rooms above, but it would only bother light sleepers.

All in all, definitely to be recommended

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Pleasant stay all round, small room, very well presented and immaculately clean, very small bathroom, again, spotless, nice Neutrogena products. The air conditioning in the room we stayed in wasn't very easy to control. The i-mac is an inspired idea which needs to be copied by other hotels however it does leave you without a tv if one of you is busy on the net.

Nice enough breakfast though busy this morning and disorganised to say the least. Above average for this style of 'inn' hotel.

Ideal if you're attending an event at the SECC, quiet waterside location which leaves a bit of a walk into town or a 5 minute cab ride.

Room Tip: Also Check out the William St. Hilton rates as advanced purchase prices are often similar and the lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed for one night on businness. It is a bit of a walk into the centre of town but area was nice and quiet. Receptionist was lovely with efficient checkin. Room wasn't huge but was light and airy with a great view of the river Clyde. The iMacs are great, much better than just a t.v. I ate in the restaurant and David and the team were all first class and really made me feel welcome. Food was tasty and good value. I would happily stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We were attending an event in Govan and booked this hotel as it is 10 minutes in a taxi. We stayed for one night on a Saturday after Armed Forces Day. Excellent location right on the river. Staff were great and rooms were clean, comfortable and had everything you would require. Booked on Expedia and for a double room we paid £78 which I thought was good value. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th Floor overlooking the river which was great
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Penistone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. Originally only planned for one but due to extreme weather I couldn't get a train back to Yorkshire and booked in for a second night.

The rooms were great, lovely views of the river, comfy beds, soft carpets and brilliant showers. As I booked room only the fridge was really useful, as I could keep bottled water and milk in there.

The iMac is an inspired idea - I used it for watching tv, playing dvds and using the internet. As my second day was unplanned I was at a loose end and used it to access my lovefilm account, so I had plenty of entertainment. Although I didn't watch them, I noticed they had all the Sky Sports channels too.

My only criticisms, more suggestions, are that I would have liked the option of later room service and room service available in the morning. I know the pantry is available but I didn't fancy going down and microwaving food in my pyjamas.

I would also like to say a special thankyou to Shona on the front desk, who helped me check back in very quickly when I realised I was stranded. She made sure I could check in early, which saved me from hanging about Glasgow in the torrential rain. Great customer service.

• Stayed June 2012